UK Pool Tour Rule

lucasi1

Registered
I posted this on the Eurotour forum w/ no response, so I thought I'd ask here for an answer. (I looked online for an answer, but no luck) Watching a UK Tour match with basically their version of 8 ball, and saw something I have never seen in any kind of cue game. Player breaks and runs down to the 8 ball, and misses his shape. He can see his ball, but doesn't have a clear pocket. He shoots cue ball into 8 ball which hits opponents ball out of the way. He then shoots 8 ball into open pocket to win game.... Why is he allowed to continue at the table? I don't believe ha pocketed any other ball on the previous shot or anything else I can think of. He simply continued on.. What rule allows this turn of events?

(As you can see, I don't know their rules. Sorry. But I have never seen this anywhere before. Thanks for your response)

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
can you post a link?

they have two competing federations with different rules, I believe one uses ball in hand on fouls and the other two shots

maybe you can save that second shot?

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I posted this on the Eurotour forum w/ no response, so I thought I'd ask here for an answer. (I looked online for an answer, but no luck) Watching a UK Tour match with basically their version of 8 ball, and saw something I have never seen in any kind of cue game. Player breaks and runs down to the 8 ball, and misses his shape. He can see his ball, but doesn't have a clear pocket. He shoots cue ball into 8 ball which hits opponents ball out of the way. He then shoots 8 ball into open pocket to win game.... Why is he allowed to continue at the table? I don't believe ha pocketed any other ball on the previous shot or anything else I can think of. He simply continued on.. What rule allows this turn of events?

(As you can see, I don't know their rules. Sorry. But I have never seen this anywhere before. Thanks for your response)

Assuming you are talking about the IPA tour (English 8-Ball), the situation you describe would be a foul and he should have lost.

In English 8-Ball (both World Rules and Blackball rules) you get 2 shots after a foul. I can't remember how it works in World Rules, but in Blackball (which is the set the IPA uses) you can take ball in hand behind the line (not anywhere on the table), or play it as it is.

On the first shot you can miss and then carry on, but the free shot doesn't 'carry', i.e. if you pot on your first and then miss you don't get another shot.

So if I've understood the scenario correctly, player A clears to the 8-Ball, but doesn't pot a ball legally, then carries on, that would be a foul and effectively loss of game as it then resulted in an 8-Ball foul.

Either I've misunderstood or the players and/or ref weren't/wasn't paying attention!

lucasi1

Registered
Mick Hill Vs Steve Martin UK Pool Tour Live Stream

This is the match. Score goes 3 to 3 and game 7 is the particular game I'm referring to. It's about 45 minutes into the video. I watched it again, and I must me missing something. All I see is he shoots, misses, and shoots again. Opponent, announcers, everyone is accepting this as normal, but I am at a loss. Thank you.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mick Hill Vs Steve Martin UK Pool Tour Live Stream

This is the match. Score goes 3 to 3 and game 7 is the particular game I'm referring to. It's about 45 minutes into the video. I watched it again, and I must me missing something. All I see is he shoots, misses, and shoots again. Opponent, announcers, everyone is accepting this as normal, but I am at a loss. Thank you.

Ok I see why its confusing!

Here is the video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-jekNUlcsg

It doesn't help that the commentators don't really explain, but Mick Hill breaks and pots a yellow, however he 'nominates' reds (you don't hear this, but he's clearly trying to pot the red in the bottom right at 45 mins 59 seconds).

He pots the red, but also a yellow and under World Rules this is a foul, so although its not overly obvious, the next shot at 46 mins 39 seconds is actually by his opponent.

In English 8-Ball as someone else mentioned, under some forms of the rules two shots 'carry', this means that after your opponent fouls you get two visits and can miss a shot at any point during your turn and still stay at the table.

At 48 mins 37 seconds Steve Martin uses his free visit to set himself up and then pots the black to legally win the game.

I'm not overly familiar with World Rules or the EPA tour as personally I think Blackball is far better to watch (and play), but I think I've summed it up correctly...if not I'm sure someone will correct me!

lucasi1

Registered
I see now where Hill sits down and Martin begins. You have to watch for it. I assume the table is still open for Martin selects 'reds'.

As I said, I am not familiar with these rules, but you do bring two rules to view which I have never seen before. 1) Hill potted his nominated ball, accidently knocking in another. Outside of snooker or the actual 8 ball, I have never seen this to be a foul. 2) The 2 shot rule if opponent fouls. I have never heard of this anywhere. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see now where Hill sits down and Martin begins. You have to watch for it. I assume the table is still open for Martin selects 'reds'.

As I said, I am not familiar with these rules, but you do bring two rules to view which I have never seen before. 1) Hill potted his nominated ball, accidently knocking in another. Outside of snooker or the actual 8 ball, I have never seen this to be a foul. 2) The 2 shot rule if opponent fouls. I have never heard of this anywhere. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Yeah I'd imagine they are unique to English Pool, World Rules.

Incidentally Blackball rules (so same table, same balls, different rules) are much (in my opinion) better and encourage more attacking play. Under those rules there would have been no foul and additionally when there is a foul 2 shots don't carry (so you can miss on your first visit, but in the scenario that came up in the video he couldn't miss at that point and would have simply lost his turn when he failed to pot the 8).