Official 14.1 High Runs

Mr441

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's a crying shame that you can't even find an official or unofficial list of the top 14.1 runs of all time. Imagine not being able to find the top career home run leaders compiled? I figure we should try and compile at least an unofficial list here on this forum. I've listed below the best runs I've ever heard of, they're only runs I've heard from at least one reputable source, but some of the runs are more commonly known.

1- 625 Michael Eufemia (4 x 8 table?) 2- 526 Willie Mosconi (4 x 8 table)
3- 491 Thomas Engert
4- 430 Gene Nagy
5- 429 Dallas West
6- 426 Ray Martin
7- 421 Allen Hopkins
8- 408 Thorsten Hohmann
9- 408 Earl Strickland
10- 403 John Schmidt
11- 396 Jose Garcia

Anyone want to add to the list? Any German posters here? Surely Souquet or Ortmann have impressive runs.

TheOne

www.MetroPool.club
Silver Member
Mr441 said:
I think it's a crying shame that you can't even find an official or unofficial list of the top 14.1 runs of all time. Imagine not being able to find the top career home run leaders compiled? I figure we should try and compile at least an unofficial list here on this forum. I've listed below the best runs I've ever heard of, they're only runs I've heard from at least one reputable source, but some of the runs are more commonly known.

3- 491 Thomas Engert
4- 430 Gene Nagy
5- 429 Dallas West
6- 426 Ray Martin
7- 421 Allen Hopkins
8- 408 Thorsten Hohmann
9- 408 Earl Strickland
10- 403 John Schmidt
11- 396 Jose Garcia

Anyone want to add to the list? Any German posters here? Surely Souquet or Ortmann have impressive runs.

Didn't Schmidt get exactly 400?

Another one for you...

17 - Craig Riley :D

I agree though the lack of billiard stats is terrible

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe Mike Sigel ran 319? when he was 19 years old.

Not documented, but I know people in the Fusco camp watched Efren run more than 300 at a pool room in Philly about 8 years ago. Reports say he did'nt miss, his backer got hungry, and tired of racking, so they went to get something to eat. The reason i believe this is the guys that watched this event called me at the pool room I worked in to fill me in right after it happened.....

Gerry

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mr441 said:

3- 491 Thomas Engert
4- 430 Gene Nagy
5- 429 Dallas West
6- 426 Ray Martin
7- 421 Allen Hopkins
8- 408 Thorsten Hohmann
9- 408 Earl Strickland
10- 403 John Schmidt
11- 396 Jose Garcia

My highest run. Let's see,
I ran 1,000 once at home.....but then I woke up. lol

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I thought I'd heard on Dallas Wests' 100 ball run tape that he'd run 468, but I could be wrong.

Babe Cranfield probably should be on the list somewhere.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
TheOne said:
Didn't Schmidt get exactly 400?

Another one for you...

17 - Craig Riley :D

I agree though the lack of billiard stats is terrible

IIRC, John told me his run was exactly 400.

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey 14.1 fans

most of those stats are close but ive talked to almost everyone of those guys and most of those runs are lower than that like martin for instance is 382 he told me himself 9 months ago and ive only got 400 exactly but its great that anybody cares enough to ask.also ive talked to jimmy fusco and hes sure efren never ran over 250 and i promise you if he did he would not leave to eat and not try to continue after hes ate. although if efren wanted to be the greatest 14.1 player he would be the best if not one of but right now hes not. anyway i like the 14.1 talk keep it up. john schmidt

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
####Leonard

Please add Dick leonard to that list. you people that go to the CCB also know him as #### leonard. His high run is 326. He also has a distinction that i don't believe anyone else can claim. I did not believe this until i asked Mike Sigel at the last OPEN 14.1 in NYC and mike verified it. They (Leonard and Sigel) have played 4 or 5 times in tournaments and Mike Has never beaten him. But that was back in the 60's and 70's. Mike would in all likely hood spank him today. Dick was a great player back in the day. He learned from a gentleman named Joe Canton. And i believe Joe's high run was over 300 also..................................mike

Vahe

Registered
Johnny Ervolino

Ervolino ran 300+, I think it was in the 365 area, a few years ago.

Billiards Digest had a short article on this towards the back of an issue.

Rude Dog

<---Dumb and Dumber
john schmidt said:
most of those stats are close but ive talked to almost everyone of those guys and most of those runs are lower than that like martin for instance is 382 he told me himself 9 months ago and ive only got 400 exactly but its great that anybody cares enough to ask.also ive talked to jimmy fusco and hes sure efren never ran over 250 and i promise you if he did he would not leave to eat and not try to continue after hes ate. although if efren wanted to be the greatest 14.1 player he would be the best if not one of but right now hes not. anyway i like the 14.1 talk keep it up. john schmidt
How long did it take you to run 400 John? Awesome feat! Also, what's your next highest run? Peace, John

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mr441 said:
I think it's a crying shame that you can't even find an official or unofficial list of the top 14.1 runs of all time. ...
Most of those are unofficial. There are two kinds of officially recognized high runs: in competition and in exhibition. The high competion run is 182 and the high exhibition run is 526 unless you believe the Eufemia claim of 625 which I tend to even if the BCA Records Committee does not. There are a couple of claims in the 700s for practice runs.

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey 14.1 players

hey rude dog long time no see,anyway it took me just over three hours and as some of you know i play fairly quick at 14.1.as far as my next highest i ran 285 on a fairly loose diamond ,i also ran 282 three days after the400 and got that on home video.ive run over 200 around 23or24 times i forget, but my best runs were all done on new cloth clean ball and big pockets if any one is interested in those details.my highest 10 runs are this. 400,285,282,268,240,236,224,224,217,215. and then ive run between 200 and 214 about 15 more times. funny thing is i must dog it because ive run between 190and 199 around 10 times and missed lol must be thinking about the 200. anyway it was fun bragging a little with you guys hope that answers some of you questions about my 14.1 practice. one more thing that im proud of is almost everyone of those runs especially the 400 had lots of people see the entire run.anyway bye for now john schmidt

Rude Dog

<---Dumb and Dumber
john schmidt said:
hey rude dog long time no see,anyway it took me just over three hours and as some of you know i play fairly quick at 14.1.as far as my next highest i ran 285 on a fairly loose diamond ,i also ran 282 three days after the400 and got that on home video.ive run over 200 around 23or24 times i forget, but my best runs were all done on new cloth clean ball and big pockets if any one is interested in those details.my highest 10 runs are this. 400,285,282,268,240,236,224,224,217,215. and then ive run between 200 and 214 about 15 more times. funny thing is i must dog it because ive run between 190and 199 around 10 times and missed lol must be thinking about the 200. anyway it was fun bragging a little with you guys hope that answers some of you questions about my 14.1 practice. one more thing that im proud of is almost everyone of those runs especially the 400 had lots of people see the entire run.anyway bye for now john schmidt
So, where would you rank my high run of 39? J/K, not about the 39 though, the ranking part.:D Those are some great runs John. Were any of these in competition, money games, tournaments? And the part about you "dogging it"? Did you miss what was an easy shot while going for a break out or something? Or just the pressure of the run getting up there so high may have gotten to you? I can't imagine what running that many balls could be like because I've never been into play 14.1, not even for practice. It's always been about 9 ball for me, well, back when I played a lot. Anyway, good job John and thanks for sharing with us. Peace, John.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
john schmidt said:

Good God that is impressive. I just recently starting playing straight pool once in a while and I still haven't made it past two racks.

If you ever plan on releasing that video please let us know. I know I would love to see it.

Regards,
Koop

jnav447

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr 441 - you're right about the lack of reliable 14.1 stats. I'm going through my pool library and have only found one reliable source, and it's out-od-date (Mike Shamos's 1993/1999 Encyclopedia of Billiards). Here's what his book reveals: the Eufemia 625 run (1965) is not recognized; Mosconi has the four highest recognized runs: 526 (1954), 365 (1953), 355 (1953), and 322 (1953). That gives us a vivid example of how impressive these 400+ ball runs are by the modern players. One record I found that was kind of staggering: the record for consecutive match victories at 14.1 is 307, by Frank Taberski, ending in 1921. We had a thread recently about high runs (14.1) in different eras and different equipment. I'd sure be interested in John Schmidt's opinion on which is more difficult: high runs on 4X8, 4 1/2 X 9, 5X10; and buckets versus tight pockets, slow versus fast cloth, etc. We need someone who can "walk the walk" to settle this. BTW, John, that feat of running the 100 balls "on demand" on the TV table at the DCC was one of the coolest things I've ever seen in pool - that was some different kind of pressure and you responded brilliantly.

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
john schmidt said:

Hey Mr. Schmidt. I was going to write, also, that there is no way that Efren would have just stopped and left. You hear these kinds of stories a lot, and I'm not sure how they get started.

Mike Zuglan claims his high run is only in the 180s, and he only did that one time as part of a bet. He says every time a game ended, he would just stop, bar none. I agree that most of the time a player like Zuglan would do this, even on a 150-and-out, perhaps. But he NEVER kept going to see what he could do? Very, very difficult to believe.

In my opinion, and what I think Mr. Schmidt (I will call you that because you are my idol, lol) is alluding to, even the great players are HUMAN. They want to see what they can accomplish. They have devoted their lives to this game, and it's just not believable to think they'd never be interested to see what they could do when everything was rolling right.

Also, and I am not trying to denounce a guy after he's passed, but I doubt that Ervolino ran those 300+ a few years ago, Vahe. I know that story was going around, but when it was, he was playing a lot at Amsterdam West. Ginky and Mika had both just run 250+ in a span of only two days or so. Ervolino wanted to beat it, so he kept trying... but he was having trouble running 30s. The next week, he was playing out on Long Island and the story was that he ran over 300. Could it have happened? Sure. But not likely from how he was playing at that point in his career.

Sadly, the fact that it was printed in BD might not mean so much. I stopped automatically believing their claims when they actually printed that Ginky had only started playing straight pool 1 month before winning the Amsterdam Open in 1999.

The only reason I'm bringing up that last part about Johnny is because the original intention of this thread was to talk about official runs that probably happened... I would say this one probably didn't. But since Johnny was a 300-ball runner anyway, maybe it doesn't matter.

On a side note, I hope someone can get an accurate high run for Jack Colavita. What a player he was.

- Steve

[Note: The tone of this post is probably harsh but not meant to be... I'm in a rush and don't have time to edit it...]

Steve Lipsky

On quest for perfect 14.1
Silver Member
Oh, also, I think Ralph Greenleaf's 287 is the greatest accomplishment in pool ever. It was done on a 5x10, if I recall correctly.

The guy ran 20 damned racks on a 5x10. Probably drunk, lol.

- Steve

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
john schmidt said:
cloth clean ball and big pockets if any one is interested in those details.my highest 10 runs are this. 400,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

how did the 400 end? you were 8 balls into the rack,,,,,,,