Walking To The Table

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've noticed in a lot of tournaments, both live and on videos, that some players when they come to the table walk BETWEEN the table and the player. At times the player that's leaving the table almost has to get out of their way.

Do you posters that compete regularly do this? Is it considered bad sportsmanship? Shouldn't the incoming player pause a couple of seconds, or walk around the table to get to his/her shot?

r/DCP

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I've noticed in a lot of tournaments, both live and on videos, that some players when they come to the table walk BETWEEN the table and the player. At times the player that's leaving the table almost has to get out of their way.

Do you posters that compete regularly do this? Is it considered bad sportsmanship? Shouldn't the incoming player pause a couple of seconds, or walk around the table to get to his/her shot?

r/DCP

I dont consider it bad sportsmanship (staying at the table, or walking between the player and the table) but I generally wait for the other person to leave the table. Sometimes after a mistake, you need a moment.

ChicagoJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider it bad sportsmanship to stay at the table so long after you miss that you cause me to have to avoid or walk between you and the table.

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
Have we really gotten to this point and still not have a generally acceptable way to pass one another, to and from the table?

If nothing better, can we settle on the rules of the road in the country of the table?

Thank you kindly.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Incoming has right of way.

The outgoing player should yield the right of way to the incoming player. This allows the incoming player the earliest possible look at the table to decide his course of action. That will keep the match moving as quickly as possible.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The outgoing player should yield the right of way to the incoming player. This allows the incoming player the earliest possible look at the table to decide his course of action. That will keep the match moving as quickly as possible.

Agreed. Especially if there is a shot clock involved.

AndyB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cant remember the second player, but I remember a video of Efren playing a safety on someone and as he was stepping back the second player literally stepped directly in front of him to look at the shot. I'm normally a pretty easy going guy and pretty hard to get me fired up, but I wouldn't be very happy in that situation.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Was it done intentionally, or just not aware, or plain clueless? I score bad sportsmanship already knowing what is right or wrong in that situation and going with the latter.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shooter

r/DCP

The incoming player should never walk between the table and the outgoing player. When a player shoots a shot he has the right to see the outcome from the position that he shot from, unobstructed.

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I shouldn't think this would be a serious issue playing by yourself in your basement.

Just one more redicuously irrelevant thread to add to all the others.

Who cares? Do some drills, or order some Chinese. Get a freakin' life, man! :banghead:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree.

Yield.

some players when they come to the table walk BETWEEN the table and the player

OK well, I don't walk, I sort of saunter with a jaunty bounce in my step anyway.

JAUNTY WALK LINK

Last edited:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems harsh to term it bad sportsmanship
Even though outgoing player steals some seconds from incoming player

:D

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly think a few people do it as a weak shark move attempt. I know I've experienced it on several occasions. Never got to me as I made I quite clear I was not gonna play that game. I'm a pretty big guy and without saying a word I made it quite clear they were gonna move or I would move them but I was not going to have my access blocked to where I'd have to take a different path to the table when it was my turn. One thing that is honestly annoying though is when someone dogs a shot and stays down in their stance just looking and staring shaking their head and continuing to stroke their cue. Have yall seen this before lol?

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
in boating, sailboats have the "right of way" over powerboats.
at a 4 way stop, the car on the right has the right of way.

in pool, I believe the incoming player should have the right of way........

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Personally I think the more experienced the player, the less likely they are to jump up right away and potentially cut the outgoing player off from returning to his chair. Sometimes the outgoing player has only one route back to their chair because of adjacent tables being used.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I consider it bad sportsmanship to stay at the table so long after you miss that you cause me to have to avoid or walk between you and the table.

I agree. You miss you sit down. In most cases it's just a half-ass shark move. Johnnyt

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Worst that I seen was playing in a league that was in a few seedy areas and bars.

A player was stepping down into his shot, a customer walked between the player and table with his arms in a V and then spreading them to push the player away from the table. There was a lot of space to walk behind. I thought for sure that guns would have been fired.

🎱

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Personally I think the more experienced the player, the less likely they are to jump up right away and potentially cut the outgoing player off from returning to his chair. Sometimes the outgoing player has only one route back to their chair because of adjacent tables being used.

In my opinion, I would side with TATE on this one.
Players jumping up and running to the table aren't exactly displaying sportsmanlike conduct, just as much as the guy that sits there air stroking the cue and shaking his head wondering why they missed.
In my experience, the more you let a person get in their own head by staring at their failed attempt at something, the better off you'll be, so just give 'em the few seconds. Let them shark themselves.