Shane VanBoening VS: Chang Jung Lin Tomorrow LIVE in Ft Worth Tx

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is weird to see Shane get blown out like this. I know 7 games isn't really a blow out on paper but damn. Get back to the grind Shane. "Rocky III"

Dang I wander how you play . I use to winning and losing its just how it goes . When I first started playing I didn't win for 3 years thennnnnnnn it's starting to change but no matter how good a person is there's always someone better day in day out I'm still betting on Shane . Don't worry bout him grinding, he is ! Playing pool everyday , every weekend instead of going to the beach, cooking out etc ! How many balls did you hit this week, that's the real question? I'm in Orange beach and off next week if you wanna play some win or lose . Gas is cheap 50$ takes me 345 miles ! Nothing personal just sounds like you are a real grinder and I like that in my opponent. I installed floors for 35 years so you can bet I have tons of it as well ! See ya soon

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL
You may be right. When Chang was at 48, Shane missed a kick on the 1 and Chang did not bother to take BIH. I suppose by then , Chang already cleaned up all the side bets that gave him games on the wire (5 , 10 games? ;) ).
Shane also sort of gave up when he did not even bother to check rack but when he got within 10 racks, he started inspecting racks
Winner cheque only $1500 (20% of stream revenue) . Which means only about 300 to 400 people bought PPV

Shane was the better breaker but his edge in the breaking department was not big enough to fade Chang in post-break departments of safety and shotmaking.
Chang won most of safety battles (24 games involved safeties) https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=493199
Even though Chang broke dry 13 times , he still managed to win 6 (46% of those games) while Shane only won 1 of his 9 dry breaks (11%)
Chang was also better in the shotmaking department missing less balls than Shane. Shane hung many balls which gave away games to Chang. Chang's CB control was also more precise allowing him to get out of tough racks.
:)
Shane made that hit on the 1. It barely moved.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dang I wander how you play . I use to winning and losing its just how it goes . When I first started playing I didn't win for 3 years thennnnnnnn it's starting to change but no matter how good a person is there's always someone better day in day out I'm still betting on Shane . Don't worry bout him grinding, he is ! Playing pool everyday , every weekend instead of going to the beach, cooking out etc ! How many balls did you hit this week, that's the real question? I'm in Orange beach and off next week if you wanna play some win or lose . Gas is cheap 50$ takes me 345 miles ! Nothing personal just sounds like you are a real grinder and I like that in my opponent. I installed floors for 35 years so you can bet I have tons of it as well ! See ya soon

And he was the last American left in the US Open last week man what a grind that was ... I was there and walking for hrs back and forth watching them grind it out ! He is doing his best for us damn .... Good job Shane you did your best brother thanks for grinding for us Americans 👍🏻... I gotta go now it's time for pool room to open , I'm going to hit some racks !

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks, I appreciate everyone that truly loves pocket billiards and wants to see it back in the national spotlight as it was in the 70, 80s, and 90s.

I enjoyed the match with Shane and Chang very much, their fundamentals and strategies are ideal and align to everything I know and believe.

Later tonight I'll share some specific things I noticed about the match and each player, however, I had to drive straight to Odessa Texas after the match to give 40+ hours of lessons between now and Monday.

Glad to hear from my friends here at azbilliards, I'm back because there's something HUGE brewing for the game we love and I can't wait to introduce it to everyone in a few weeks.

Play well, enjoy your day, and remember, THE GAME IS THE TEACHER

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... When Chang was at 48, Shane missed a kick on the 1 and Chang did not bother to take BIH.

Shane made that hit on the 1. It barely moved.

Yes; that thin hit was in Game 86 at 48-37 -- a "coat of paint" hit. Chang proceeded to run to the 6-ball, for which he drew the CB straight back into the side pocket. That was in the midst of Shane's string of 10 wins in 11 games (games 82-92), interrupted only by that 1/10 combo for Chang in Game 89 after Shane's dry break. And then Shane broke dry again in Game 93 and Chang ran out for the 50-43 victory.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Shout out to Shane for fighting to the end. The heart he showed and always shows is part of why we admire him so much, Those who don't think he wanted it real bad are kidding themselves, for Chang has owned Shane in Asia and Shane would have loved some revenge, especially with a US crowd watching. Wonder how much SVB and his team had bet on the side, here, but I'd guess not that much, because they've learned the hard way how hard this Chang fellow is to beat.

Of course, anyone who was at the Derby knows that there were virtually no takers for a match with JL Chang in the action room. His team made it clear to everyone that he'd bet high against anyone there, but noone would play him, and it might have remained that way until Friday afternoon's elimination of both Filler and Chang from the nine ball.

It was then, and only then, that Filler became the first one to bet high in a match with Chang, and they played a 10-ball race to 17, won by Filler 17-14. Both guys played beautifully.

Shane will rise again, but he might want to stop making games with the great Chang. There's easier action out there, and he knows where to find it.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes; that thin hit was in Game 86 at 48-37 -- a "coat of paint" hit. Chang proceeded to run to the 6-ball, for which he drew the CB straight back into the side pocket. That was in the midst of Shane's string of 10 wins in 11 games (games 82-92), interrupted only by that 1/10 combo for Chang in Game 89 after Shane's dry break. And then Shane broke dry again in Game 93 and Chang ran out for the 50-43 victory.

My bad. Heard commentators say BIH :grin-square:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m not a fan of long races....even though I had some long money matches earlier in life....
...by the game

I love watching Chang play...reminds me of Buddy Hall....in the late 70s.
...but I was hurting for Shane the first day...like getting hit by a Mack truck....
....but he restored his dignity on the second day.

If they were playing race to 25, best 2 out of 3 sets....we’d be watching the rubber match now.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not a fan of long races....even though I had some long money matches earlier in life....
...by the game

...but I was hurting for Shane the first day...like getting hit by a Mack truck....

If they were playing race to 25, best 2 out of 3 sets....we’d be watching the rubber match now.

That is why I like sets of short races instead of 1 long race. More entertaining
Anyway , each new day is a new race cos way players play vary from day to day.
Technically, a race to 50 should be non-stop race without long sleep break in between. :grin-square:

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
That is why I like sets of short races instead of 1 long race. More entertaining
Technically, a race to 50 should be non-stop race without long sleep break in between. :grin-square:

The spartan race of pool eh?

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...by the game

I like watching Buddy but I see nothing alike in their game except thier stroke was always the same , but buddy 's long stroke with a five minute pause lol was a thing of beauty, arguably the best stroke of all time ,

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then it's a battle of conditioning also not so sure that bares out the best player all the time

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When will Chinese 8 ball be the the top game for all

I have been watching it a lot lately and they are dumping a lot of money into this game
To me it is the best game to bridge all cue sports together it's 8 ball game that's played world wide it's played on a 9 ft ,, American length table and it has snooker pockets,
To me it's the perfect game for all to complete in

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I like watching Buddy but I see nothing alike in their game except thier stroke was always the same , but buddy 's long stroke with a five minute pause lol was a thing of beauty, arguably the best stroke of all time ,

For me, it's Wu that brings back memories of Buddy Hall. Not talking about their strokes, but as pattern players they are very similar in their table management.

I'd have to give Mizerak my vote for best stroke I've ever seen, but Buddy is on the short list.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been watching it a lot lately and they are dumping a lot of money into this game
To me it is the best game to bridge all cue sports together it's 8 ball game that's played world wide it's played on a 9 ft ,, American length table and it has snooker pockets,
To me it's the perfect game for all to complete in

Always an irony that anywhere in the world , 8 ball (whether it is American/WPA 8 ball, British 8 ball or Chinese 8 ball) is still by far the most popular cuesport played recreationally (in pubs, bars) but it is not the most watched.
You would think that if pool promoters want to target the mainstream audience, they would go for 8 ball events. But somehow all major pool events by promoters are still 9 ball which is neither game played by most nor is it is preferred game of pros.
But then again what we like to play and what we like to watch can be 2 different things :D

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
For me, it's Wu that brings back memories of Buddy Hall. Not talking about their strokes, but as pattern players they are very similar in their table management.

(I'd have to give Mizerak my vote for best stroke I've ever seen, but Buddy is on the short list.

Funny you should bring that up....
...I told Buddy once that if we could put his stroke on a snooker cue...
...it could win the world snooker title....
...he said “Don’t forget the Miz...nobody strokes them better.