John Schmidt has beaten Mosconi

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This may lend a little clarity. Though it may confuse things as well. Two articles. One, Willie ran 589. Not only less than 14, but less than a dozen from 600. Probably the event you're referring to, though unless you were there, I'm not sure how you'd know what Willie said, and why he quit just a bit before 600.

But then, in a second article, dated a bit later than the first, Willie claims a run of 609. John's run more than both, so nothing much to be made of this, but it backs up that even Willie broke Willie's record, maybe more than once, who knows. But I do like some documentation rather than members just arguing about who is right and who is imagining. Both articles do contain direct quotes, for those interested in history.

All the best,
WW

I was referring an account of the run given by Charlie Ursitti and paraphrasing his account of what Willie said -- you will note that I didn't used quotation marks because I was just going off memory rather than looking it up.

Of course I don't personally know what Mosconi said. But Charlie stated that and I offered it here as a bit of history.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have you on Ignore but a couple of friends informed me about another of your attacks about my service to our country.

I will, again, report your slur against my 20 years of service in the USAF to the administration.

Lou Figueroa

I didn't slur you.

PAOs are paid to be "creative".

I work with one.

Should I have them come on here to attest to being "creative"?

I have more than 20 years of service, as well. If we are going to count "total service", I have almost 50, but who is counting?

That isn't the point.

"Creative" writing was the point.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't slur you.

PAOs are paid to be "creative".

I work with one.

Should I have them come on here to attest to being "creative"?

I have more than 20 years of service, as well.

That isn't the point.

"Creative" writing was the point.

I have reported you and have your past posts comparing me to Bagdad Bob archived.

This is an incessant line of attack for you and all I can do is report it. If the administration chooses to do nothing that is beyond my control. But for me, and the hundred/thousands that have honorably served as public affairs officers at home, abroad, and in combat I owe them a protest.

Lou Figueroa

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have reported you and have your past posts comparing me to Bagdad Bob archived.

This is an incessant line of attack for you and all I can do is report it. If the administration chooses to do nothing that is beyond my control. But for me, and the hundred/thousands that have honorably served as public affairs officers at home, abroad, and in combat I owe them a protest.

Lou Figueroa

Are we playing the "patriotism" card, now?

I never said PAOs were not patriotic.

I said they could be very "creative" in their stories and that is a fact.

I could give thousands of examples, but anybody who follows the news can easily find "contradictions" in things that "actually" happened and what was "reported".

That is the point...not anybody's military service or time spent in uniform.

In edit: Not to get into politics, but:

Does everyone believe every word that Sarah Sanders says when she gets up and gives a statement in a White House press briefing?

Nuff said.

Last edited:

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I have you on Ignore but a couple of friends informed me about another of your attacks about my service to our country.

I will, again, report your slur against my 20 years of service in the USAF to the administration here.

Lou Figueroa

giphy.webp

tall paul

John Schmidt

Congratulations to a great person and player. I met him he was a great person to talk with. He is always welcome at SCG.
Paul AZ

jayz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Growing up in the roaring twenties heyday, I suspect Mosconi played a lot in non-a/c'd rooms with those clay balls, not the best of conditions, which is the norm today. In Hawaii back in the fifties and sixties all the poolrooms were open-air with 'thick' humidity and 'sticky' tables, ESPECIALLY on rainy and/or muggy days and nights. The conditions/equipment today are night and day different...jussayin'.

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both mosconi and Schmidt's feats are unbelievable in their own rights. I'm certainly not picking sides nor would I ever care to. I'm also not trying to slight either feat.

I do have to ask, how much pressure was Mosconi really under? He was playing an exhibition match and simply kept shooting. It wasn't like the expectation was a 526 or nothing. If hemissed on 4 something that simply would have been the record. I'm sure as the ball count got higher the self pressure increased but there was still nothing on the line, the pressure of the exhibition was surely long gone before he was anywhere near 526. I'm certain that not one soul would have left that room in disappointment if Willie didn't set a record that night, except maybe Willie, I don't know.

How many other nights on this and other exhibition tours did he continue to shoot? You could suppose that continuing to shoot at all past the official end of a match is always an attempt at a high run, or why else would you keep shooting? To entertain the crowd, I get it, but they were already entertained long before a record would have been reached. If he wasn't actually trying for a high run then you could argue there wasn't any pressure at all. So it could be argued that Mosconi was actively making a run at documenting a high run much the same as Schmidt, although quite different at the same time.

As for the table conditions, I am sure it is very hard to play on different tables night in and night out. I will tip my hat to Willie in this regard. It is more likely that he hit 526 on this particular night because he found these conditions to be favorable, than it is likely that he did it in spite of the less than favorable conditions. How many high runs were halted by less than favorable conditions on other nights?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk[/QUOT

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Mosconi set that record while doing an exhibition. He was just running balls and he stopped because he got tired and someone said they wanted to eat so Willie said ok I’m done . Willie didn’t miss he just stopped shooting. The old timers would play on thicker slow cloth and the equipment wasn’t always that good. John breaks the record by running balls in an amazing feat because of so many problems come up during straight pool that can end a good run. I agree on several counts that I would like to see some serious money put up in matches to a race to 1500. I like watching Holman shoot straight pool and a long match between him and John would be a classic and straight pool is both of their favorite games to play. This would be great for pool.

It's been documented by several here that his run did indeed end on a miss...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... he stopped because he got tired and someone said they wanted to eat so Willie said ok I’m done . ....
No, Willie missed the 6 ball to end his run at 526. We have been over this recently. Did you miss the other posts?

And I don't think that's the way Thorsten spells his name.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mosconi set that record while doing an exhibition. He was just running balls and he stopped because he got tired and someone said they wanted to eat so Willie said ok I’m done .

That was not the 526 run that we're all talking about. I think you need to reread all the posts if you're willing respond with what is now been answered so many times.

Willie missed at shot 527 for his official BCA-recorded run.

Willie also shot an unofficial 609, which he reportedly stopped because he was tired and they had to get something to eat.

John Schmidt has the longest verifiable run at 626.

No other "how did he feel" question matters. It really doesn't.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Willie also shot an unofficial 609, which he reportedly stopped because he was tired and they had to get something to eat.

Not picking on you, but can you show us some evidence that Willie quit on the 609? We do have some documentation on the 589, but you're talking about the 609.

All the best,
WW

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not picking on you, but can you show us some evidence that Willie quit on the 609? We do have some documentation on the 589, but you're talking about the 609.

All the best,
WW
I can't. There are a few reports that Charlie Ursitti wrote an article that says both the 589 and the 609. My faulty memory says I remember reading the article, but that's all I can remember. I've said before that this was anecdotal and reportedly.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I can't. There are a few reports that Charlie Ursitti wrote an article that says both the 589 and the 609. My faulty memory says I remember reading the article, but that's all I can remember. I've said before that this was anecdotal and reportedly.

Charlie reported on the 589, not the 609.

All the best,
WW

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Well, I'm betting the other way. I, for one, believe John became a better 14.1 player during his quest for the record and I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Stu, I will make you a small sweat bet of say $100 per match against any opponent John has the next time he participates in 14.1 tourney. I know you're down to your last few million and it might make you a bit anxious, but I'm offering you a chance to get a small taste of the presuure you feel when you have something on the line other than just your opinion. What do you say big guy?

After reading this whole thread, I like this post the most. If anyone here follows John on Facebook and saw the set of HUMONGOUS run numbers during each scheduled attempt, no one would think he was a dog to AAAAAAANYONE in the history of 14.1. I'm not saying Mosconi couldn't beat him or that others such as Thorsten and a few others can't beat him. I'm merely saying no one in history is an odds favorite over him in his current punch. No one.

No one.

I love reading all the Mosconi nuthuggers who I won't name....

".... Yeah, but... Mosconi quit on X ball runs..."

So WHAT. That's meaningless unless you're a fanboy. All it means ever is he ran X that time. Nothing more. In fact, every time he ran 200 on a real 9ft table with 4.5" pockets and wanted to quit, I'd bet him 5000 he wouldn't run to 400. If Spidey could go back in time, A) Mosconi would never take the bet and B) if he did, he'd be broke in a few exhibitions because stats and math matter... A lot. That's why that argument is mindless. Ifs ands and buts mean zero and tall tales mean zero.

What you don't hear a lot about is how Mosconi used to biatch and moan every time he missed early, often blaming the cloth, balls, lights whatever. He had a prima donna attitude. Hal used to tell me how the players at Cochrans never used to let him sit on the bench...not because they hated his ability, but because they hated his princess attitude. So all this talk about how he'd run a gazillion if he didn't quit is baloney. If he could have, he would have... He couldn't, which is why he didnt.

Moving on to table size. On a 5"+ pocketed table, the easiest table is a 7'er, 8'er is 2nd etc. Sure there's more clusters, but literally EVERYTHING goes and literally EVERYTHING is a break shot. Triple combos that you NEVER shoot on a 9er, you can fire in on a bar box, etc. So yes there's a lot of clustering on tiny tables but huge pockets more than negate that and it's mesmerizing how some allegedly smart people think 8ft tables are hard with 5" pcokets. What a joke lol really. I'll take a break shot on an 8ft against someone else of equal ability on a 9fter if the pockets were the same size every single solitary fricken time ever in life ever ever. To think otherwise is just nonsense. My highest run I ever had was on a 7fter and when I missed I almost ran it again on my 2nd attempt but I dismissed it. Why? Because small tables don't count. Engagements below the hard deck shouldn't count and the only reason it counted at all with Mosconi is because he was Brunswick's BOY.

Instead of pumping up heroes with could've been and would've been logic and trying feverishly to convince a pool community that 8ft tables are soooo tough with 14.1 (BS), how about we all kneel before Zod in regards to John's 626 on a NINE FOOT TABLE.... ON VIDEO....beating the prima donna's high run by 100 on a tougher table.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John has single-handedly brought straight pool into circles of conversation and the minds of men that play this game around the world like none other. From forums to neighborhood social circle game days and even the weekly senior center tournaments according to my friend Tony

We’re seeing guys hunting for the videos and records we speak of here in this thread to get a glimpse of something none of us will be able to witness in person. It get folks looking and verifying facts and searching for proof. And THIS is where the magic happens - the quest for treasures of knowledge that morph into action - from writing articles and books to racking your favorite ball set, setting up the myriad break shots that John had during any of his amazing runs - trying to record our own high runs at the great 14.1

John has humbled us all, I think - and in the meantime, shown us what is possible. He has inspired most of us and motivated many of us to pursue our best. Today and into tomorrow. And the next day.

As most of us are, I’m really looking forward to having a piece of this history on dvd / hard drive to keep learning the game and pursuing my best on the baize - not just in solo play attempts, but match play amongst friends - referring many times to the six-two-six and what John Schmidt gave us.....new and renewed passion.

Great, great achievement, JS. Thank you for the inspiration.

~ K.