Cause of Inconsistency?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
It’s not clear what you mean by “got destroyed”. Your opponent ran 4 racks on you? You missed 3 hangars?

Was every shot a good process, or were you distracted by outcome thinking? In my experience the more you think about winning and losing, the less you focus and the worse you do.

Yep. Just play in the moment. Don't beat yourself up for that last mistake -- it's in the past. And don't think about winning or losing -- it's in the future. As the saying goes..... If you stand with one foot in the past and one foot in the future, you piss all over the present.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been through all the lessons, 'the system', PSR, SPF, endless hours, years of practice, and my consistency improved but there are still days that I run table after table and the next I have trouble getting through a rack. One well known instructor just told me one day, it's a mental thing you may conquer, you may not. If we all could we'd all be Shane's and Corey's, but most of us will not be!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you let one shot derail you

Why do you think you can go from feeling like a world beater one day to missing hangers the very next day? What do you think is the major cause of being inconsistent?

It sounds like you let that one miss in the fourth game derail you. All of the talk about preshot routine and such is good, it closes the distance between your good days and your bad days. I have won an event on a bad day, everybody else stumbled too! I didn't fall as far as they did. Closing that gap is important.

You may need a post awshitter shot routine too though. Efren used to rub the back of his head and grin or laugh. I don't recommend that, I still have a bald spot. I have more of those shots than Efren, a lot more! However, I did start giving myself a few seconds to acknowledge that was stupid and at the same time I thought to myself, "that isn't my norm." Put it behind me, forget about it.

Your other errors probably stem from not living in the present. Might look like a chicken pecking in practice for awhile but if you are down on a shot and one verbal thought, a thought in words, intrudes on your shot, stand up, regroup, and try again. According to the big brains your unconscious is many times stronger than your conscious, but you have to give it room to work.

Hu

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you think you can go from feeling like a world beater one day to missing hangers the very next day? What do you think is the major cause of being inconsistent?

What's the Last thing you think about just before pulling the trigger?
Hopefully one of the PBA Instructors will chime in.

Eddie

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sometimes i get gas after i eat onions or pizza
that never helps

deano sounds like you and I play about even:grin-square:

lot of great stuff in this thread..
just last night I figured out something helpful
focus on keeping my head still
not a rule yet, I need to experiment with it more
but doing that seemed to really help me play solid

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you do in particular to insure you are performing your PSR the same every time?

You have to pay attention to what you're doing when playing well.

And then, when playing poorly, compare and contrast. It helps to have a couple of test shots of moderate difficulty to see more exactly where the failure point(s) be.

Lou Figueroa

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We be human, not machines. Hoomans do boo-boos.

mristea

Pool maniac
Silver Member
It's so simple - eyes/sighting/alignment, but everything starts with how to consistently use your eyes for perfect bridge placement & body alignment. All the rest is bullshit. Of course not talking about beginners who just picked up a cue, but about players who can runout once in a while. The main reason why they can't runout more often is what I said above.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Im going to say lack of table time.

You could have the best fundamentals in the world, but if you arent playing regularly you are going to be missing position and missing balls.

Tap tap tap

Consistent fundamentals are of course important, but IMO frequency of repetition is more important once you get to a certain level.

From seeing the shots correctly, to smoothness of stroke, to speed control.... You need to keep those things in groove, and that comes with repetition.

stunshotDAVE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"feeling" like a word beater is just that,,,,,,, feeling. live off the game for 10 years, with NO job, you will have reached level 1. the feeling will start to go away.