Hal Houle

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't understand why some people want to say negative things about a man that has helped so many people to learn how to shoot pool better. Why not give the man credit for taking the time to teach people,whether u agree with his system, or not.He has taken the time to teach people for the pleasure of teaching his methods. I also think no one has the right to pass on his system without his ok.When the man taught certain people for free, then they teach it to students then charge them to learn it.If its not yours to give u should'nt charge people to learn it.Thats disrespect to your teacher.

8JIM9

Registered
Actually, I believe most writers did pay for the info they write about. They put in long hours and most lost a ton of money learning how to win. They didn't just wake up one day knowing what they know. Information is so easy to get no-a-days, it wasn't like that 20 years ago.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
With all due respect, I learned this same system long before I had ever heard of Hal Houle. There are many aiming systems out there - not every system will work for every player. For that reason, I have educated myself on several systems and it is my duty as an instructor to teach the student the best information to enhance their skills. Hal didn't teach me his method, I learned it from somebody else a long time ago and I have passed it along to my students.

Should I pay a royalty to Hal Houle? There's a lot of MY instructional material floating around the internet and methods that I developed that are being taught all over the world by people I have never met to students that cannot pronounce my name correctly or identify me in a lineup. When something works, you will find many instructors adopting your methods, then passing the info to their students who someday will pass the information on to other players and so on and so on. Should I chase all of them down and demand payment? I would rather direct my energy into something more productive.

charlieb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To the best of my knowledge Hal has never asked anyone for a dime. He doesn't give lessons he shares.

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, let's say a not so bad player capable of 40 balls or so in straight pool or 3 racks of 9ball starts using this system (or any other, doesn't really matter). He gets very close to beating 9ball ghost. Obviously this player has some skills, but he isn't quite satisfied because he wants to become a 100 ball runner. Is it realistic to expect that his progress will become quicker?

The way I see it, all those systems advertise a serious cut in amount of practice time compared to just going by feel and muscle memory. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
predator said:
Ok, let's say a not so bad player capable of 40 balls or so in straight pool or 3 racks of 9ball starts using this system (or any other, doesn't really matter). He gets very close to beating 9ball ghost. Obviously this player has some skills, but he isn't quite satisfied because he wants to become a 100 ball runner. Is it realistic to expect that his progress will become quicker?

The way I see it, all those systems advertise a serious cut in amount of practice time compared to just going by feel and muscle memory. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any thing that improves your game is going to help, but remember that any changes you make take time to become automatic. This applies to any change, especially to anything drastic, in my own case, I'm applying Hal's aiming system. I'm changing what I've been doing for a LOT of years, I expect progress to be slow until I've incorporated the system to where I'm totally comfortable with it, and I'm not, just yet. When I'm comfortable with aiming, my stroke, stance, etc., I would expect progress to be faster. For me, it works well enough for me to want to be patient;) I've said this before, I was really surprised!

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
predator said:
[...]

So far as I can recall, nobody has suggested learn this or that instead of developing feel and muscle memory. It's not an either/or.

av84fun

Banned
Knowledge...in and of itself...is not subject to copyright protection. The only protection available is the prohibition against using the exact same words to convey knowledge as those used by some person who obtained a copyright on them.

(Except if the instructor obtains a written Confidentiality Agreement which could be enforced under civil law.)

So, no one has to right to complain about his/her knowledge being passed on so long as copyrighted texts are not copied/distributed in that process.

Regards,
Jim