Lessons

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl Strickland and Karen Corr are holding group lessons for 250 dollars near where I live in Northern VA. Seems a little pricey to me. You might be paying for the celebrity factor. What is the typical cost for a private lesson with a local house pro?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not enough information. Is this a one hour lesson or a six hour lesson? Is it limited to a certain number of students, which would likely mean more personalized lessons?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl Strickland and Karen Corr are holding group lessons for 250 dollars near where I live in Northern VA. Seems a little pricey to me. You might be paying for the celebrity factor. What is the typical cost for a private lesson with a local house pro?

Either it is worth $250 to YOU, or it is not, why would it matter what someone "local" who has probably never won anything major charges for their time?

You need to realize there is more to these shows/lessons, such as paying for travel, lodging etc.

So again, it is either worth it to YOU, or it is not.

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Lesson is limited to 8 people and the whole session is 4 hours I believe. I guess 250 sounds a little steep to me but for someone with a lot of money it may be worth having 2 world class players giving a lesson.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
The Lesson is limited to 8 people and the whole session is 4 hours I believe. I guess 250 sounds a little steep to me but for someone with a lot of money it may be worth having 2 world class players giving a lesson.

Mmmmmm... Well. For what it's worth, I can go and get 1-on-1 lessons from Alex Lely for around 50 Euro/hour if I took a long weekend and went to the Netherlands... So.. At $250.00 you kind of are paying for a little bit of star gazing..

To me, it depends on where you are at in your game, and what you are expecting out of the session. For me, I have put some real heat on a few pros in my last couple of visits to Derby, so if I take lessons, I want it to be 1-on-1 with a stone cold champion, and I REALLY want some highly individualized help with any personal flaws, and it might require 4 hours of personal attention to give me some real meat to chew on.

If I were more of a midlevel player who just wanted a casual improvement framework and a couple of wide-angle things to work on, and I wanted to hang with a few of my idols, then the lesson package you are looking at might work, too.

As it is, I am actually trying to see if Jeremy Jones has a few hours early on at Derby, as he really seems to know both stroke mechanics and high end One Pocket thinking, which are the two main things I think I might benefit from.

Last edited:

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
By your numbers, it looks like $62.50 an hour for a group four students (could be fewer) per instructor.

I am assuming you break mid point and change instructors, getting the benefit from both top pro experiences.

If you are a name dropping star gazer, bring extra dough and a Sharpie or paint pen. No doubt there will be merch available to purchase.

If you choose to do it, post a review. Should be interesting.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hmmm, your "typical" house pro? I would never in a thousand years put either of those two in a group of typical "anything"......

To answer your question, a typical house pro get nowhere near that. Then again, your typical house can't carry Earl's and Karen's pool bag....

Teaching and doing is two different things and just because someone is good at one of the does not necessarily mean they will be good at the other.

On the other hand, when someone has the talent of a freak.... well, it is WELL WORTH $250 to have them share their time and knowledge with you.

Just my opinion,

Rake

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Per student.

Any less it wouldn't be worth their time, IMO. I talked to Karen last year about giving my wife lessons, I forget how much she wanted to charge one on one, but it wasn't bad. My wife no longer wants to play,. I remember reaching out to a couple instructors when I started hitting them again and at the time I was willing to pay double. My schedule clashed with their availability, unfortunately.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think $100 per lesson is pretty standard...i paid that with several different instructors and it was always more than an hour.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

A lot less than 250 but if you want to spend some time with those folks its pretty cheap all things considered.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
in my experience one on one is better than group lessons
see if you could get 1 hour private and see what it would cost
you will have enough after an hour to work on
especially if its more about fundamentals you are after
jmho

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Going rate is generally $75 -$100 per hour. As for group lessons save your time and money. Pass! Earl is a better player than instructor. I have a lot of regard for Karen and would prefer one of her students to comment on her lessons.

Employ Scott Lee for his 4 hour course. Best instructor you can hire...

To the OP.....I know a few people that took a lesson from Earl and Karen privately. Will gladly PM their impressions/review.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Limited to eight students, four hours, and there is some value to the opportunity to meet and spend time with these two hall of famers .... I'd say it's reasonably priced.

yankee817299

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ had a special on Facebook through Christmas of $160 for 3 hrs. And this is a private lesson, one on one.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Spend your money with a private lesson with a pool instructor. Someone who has handouts, a projector, etc. Not some professional who knows nothing about teaching.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spend your money with a private lesson with a pool instructor. Someone who has handouts, a projector, etc. Not some professional who knows nothing about teaching.

Better yet, spend your money on a professional who knows how to share their insights, knowledge, and wisdom from years competing at the highest level.

I've taken lessons from Dallas West, Ray Martin, and "Steve "Cookie Monster" Cook. There wasn't a single handout, a projector, a laser, or doughnut on the table between the all of them. But what they taught and shared with me was some of the best knowledge I've gained in 50 years of playing pool.

Lou Figueroa

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

First question. Is the student interested in learning stroke mechanics or strategy or advanced game play. 9ball 14:1, 1P, etc.

Seeing yourself play is a big learning tool. Watch your stroke/swing...head, arm, body position. Are you rushing, pausing the backstroke...following through, staying down. Watch your PSR. A professional competent pool instructor will address the flaws and get you on the right track.

Last edited: