Is Efren Better Than Ever?

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
https://youtu.be/HTl8WM7890c

Is it just me or does Efren seem to be better than ever? Looks like he's even added a few more tricks up his already full sleeves. Or is it just because he's more relaxed after his "retirement" last year?

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your right!

Is it just me or does Efren seem to be better than ever? Looks like he's even added a few more tricks up his already full sleeves. Or is it just because he's more relaxed after his "retirement" last year?

I think your right. He just seems to come to the table and does what Efren does.., out think everybody! I hope he never really retires or at lest continues to grace all of us with his presence from time to time.

Long Live the King!

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

It's just you. While Efren's conceptualization and strategic skills are, without question, still at his highest ever level, his shot execution skills are not nearly at his highest ever level.

Because of his untarnished genius at the table, he is still a very dangerous opponent, but to suggest that he plays as well as he did when he had a far greater ability to execute his shots is, in my view, in error.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's just you. While Efren's conceptualization and strategic skills are, without question, still at his highest ever level, his shot execution skills are not nearly at his highest ever level.

Because of his untarnished genius at the table, he is still a very dangerous opponent, but to suggest that he plays as well as he did when he had a far greater ability to execute his shots is, in my view, in error.

I agree 100%.

The same goes for Earl, but for a different reason. He still has most of his skills, but he is unable to focus enough to keep them in check.

They are still light years ahead of most players when it comes to knowing the "game".

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he may not be as good as he was ,but he is still amazing

he is my favorite,without him i am losing interest in watching

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that's a sweet highlight reel!
that said, efren has said himself that his prime is long since passed.

how bout him on that barbox tho..
purty dang sporty that wut's his name? see-ser moh-ra-less?

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Efren and Earl are still my favorite players to watch. If they get rolling, there is a very short list of players who can hang with them. Sometimes I see that high gear in SVB, and Shaw. A few others play incredible sometimes; but i haven't seen them run wide open enough, to say if they're on that short list too.

Hey, a long set with Earl and Shaw would be awesome!!!

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I definitely agree. I was fortunate to see Efren every year when he came over to the States and while here made Hard times in Bellflower his home room. 12 years ago I was watching Efren play and the spectator area was pretty full for mid day. I was sitting next to Little Al Romero and several times during the match Little Al and others would comment "He wouldn't have missed that shot last year." And they were right. Efren's potting ability hasn't been what it once was for many years now.

However, as mentioned, his "conceptualization" is still uncanny. He was the first one to make me wish I had a DVR in my head.

One other factor is that whoever he plays knows that they are playin EFREN & that at some time in the match will cause an unforced error that he will take advantage of.

He is still, along with Keith McCready, my favorite to watch and I watched the two of them play many times. Each match Keith would get Efren to smile several time a game. Talk about two totally different players who really enjoyed playing together it was Efren and Keith.

parvus1202

Suspected hacked account
Silver Member
I don't know why there are people who still doubt Efren as the GOAT. The real question is who is next to Reyes. Forget GOAT it's been secured and taken.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

......spot on

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know why there are people who still doubt Efren as the GOAT. The real question is who is next to Reyes. Forget GOAT it's been secured and taken.

Here’s why:

We have this post where people are thinking Efren must be the best ever. Other people who actually have seen Efren’s body of work for 30+ years but usually tell you that Efren‘s best years were about 20 to 30 years ago. Let that sink in. THe Efren you see today, he was significantly better 20+ years ago . And it was even better before that. I believe the Efren says that his greatest years were in the 80s. I agree with him.

And guess what? Efren could never beat Mike Sigel in the 80s in any final. He struggled against Earl, and he lost many times over to Varner, who easily beat him in the PHilippines in the classic Race to 60. Let that sink in. The great Efren Reyes in his greatest playing years was an underdog to all these players, probably in every discipline.

That’s why. His longevity at such a high level is a cut above his peers, but other than one pocket, he’s not the GOAT, IMO.

Freddie <~~~ not in the running

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
i love how Rob Saez stood up at 6:45, thinking Efren missed. Sit back down, son!

I’d like to give Rob Saez some kudos in this thread.
He has a penchant for taking the Magician to hill-hill...
...and loses gracefully with a big smile.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d like to give Rob Saez some kudos in this thread.
He has a penchant for taking the Magician to hill-hill...
...and loses gracefully with a big smile.
Yep, Robb played great he was the defending champion of this event too

Oh so close to a repeat