Right Handed - Left Eye Dominate

gtaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys I am in a pickle

All year, I have been seeing great improvement in my game. I am almost to the point were i can beat the ghost on a 4 1/8 in diamond table.

However, About 3 weeks ago I woke up and I can't shoot a ball straight in anymore. Now I am right handed left eye dominate and I have noticed that as i come through my forward stroke my right hand is swinging closer to my body and then out. Kinda like a C pattern or "inside out". That said I am constantly putting right hand english on the ball and a pretty significant amount of it too.

To make things more interesting, if i know if I have to spin a ball down a rail or where any 4:30 or 7:30 english is needed, I split the wickets. But anything that needs middle ball or just a half tip to a tip is fired straight into the rails.

Any thoughts on getting back in line. I have done the "shoot balls straight in the pocket drills with limited success as when i focus on it i can do 15 straight from the say the spot...but when i back it up and shoot it long say from the second diamond to a ball about middle table its less than 20%....

a month a go i could do 2 straight sets of racks of this shot without missing... HELP!!

Greg

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some thoughts.

Get rid of your avatar and show some respect for the women who post here and the children who read here.

You must have domination on your mind. The word is 'dominant,' not 'dominate.'

Last edited:

gtaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Better Fran?

You were the first to complain about it as that photoshoot was actually from a billiard theme spread that, when compared to other avatars here, was quite tasteful.

There were no breasts or other naughty parts... It just showed off back dimples.

Yes the auto correct got me on dominate vs dominant

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Ill be piggy backing off of your thread. Im starting to think my eyes are getting worse and my left eye is becoming dominant.

I hope you get help soon.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Greg

Try aiming with both eyes again.

Way too much is placed on the "master eye".

Our eyes work together. They triangulate into one image.

randyg

gtaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
randy

I did notice this when i did the 1 eye thumb cover drill as neither eye covers the distant object

I am starting to think its much more stance and cue delivery... b/c if i try and aim with only 1 eye, by covering the other...they are boy wonky

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Greg

randyg

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I got off on a tangent trying to favor my left eye. It basically screwed me up until I went back to aiming with both eyes. I think too much emphasis is placed on this and I agree with you whole heartedly.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Greg

randyg

do you beleive in "vision center"
ie a head position over the cue where a straight line is seen as straight??
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/eyes.html#vision_center
ununtentional side spin COULD be from your head position being off your vision center
if you beleive that theory
your thoughts randy
or any other instructor

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor & I'm just trying to help based on my personal experiences.

I recently went through a short time where I was overcutting shots to the left. I am right handed & right eye dominant. Like bbb/Larry suggested
my head had somehow moved to the right & I was not seeing the straight line correctly. I played around with closing my left eye after setting up & making the adjustment & then open the eye & 'see' it before shooting. I think it gradually got me back on line.

I also recently went through a similar thing where I was putting a couple of hairs of right hand english on the CB on the few times that I wanted to hit on the center line. I traced that back to my grip hand. I was snatching the cue a bit & could not stop doing it consistently. I took my ring & pinky finger & actually put them on top of the cue so I was in essence only using my forefinger & middle finger. This worked for awhile but the problem would pop up from time to time. I then went back to a 'full' grip but with a much firmer connection to the cue (I don't think this is conventionally taught but suggested by CJ Wiley) & the problem has been solved. Doing that did change the 'trajectory' of my stroke though.

I don't use a pendulum stroke & I am obviously not a certified instructor so take anything I've said as you will or even throw it ALL away if you wish. I was merely trying to show what can happen & how it might be self corrected. Sometimes a band aid approach can lead one to a more permanent fix. But...better yet go see Fran or someone else as qualified as she is.

Good Luck with finding your solution.
Rick

gtaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok here is video 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU_NFxTQgnM

Here is video 2 - first stroke is original for reference

http://youtu.be/-L5Zp3Rx778

Thoughts after watching

I definitely do not take the cue back during the backstroke on a straight line sometimes. It's wobbly about 30% of the time. If I stand and get back down and focus on straight back straight through this fixes it 99 % of the time

So question is now: is the wobbly delivery stance related ?

NOTE: video 3 a hybrid that's comfy for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XON-uxBt5U

Thanks a ton guys

Greg

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
do you beleive in "vision center"
ie a head position over the cue where a straight line is seen as straight??
http://billiards.colostate.edu/threads/eyes.html#vision_center
ununtentional side spin COULD be from your head position being off your vision center
if you beleive that theory
your thoughts randy
or any other instructor

YES!

We all have a "vision center". Most of us are different so one shoe doesn't fit every one.

I don't think the Master Eye has much to do with our aiming. I think that finding a straight line is very important. There are many drills out there to find your personal "vision center".

randyg

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Randy is right, Larry! Mother Drill 4 is perfect for finding how we "perceive" a straight line, and then, more importantly, whether we have the physical skill to deliver the cuestick into the straight line that our brain and eyes perceive! Whitey doesn't lie! :grin:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

YES!

We all have a "vision center". Most of us are different so one shoe doesn't fit every one.

I don't think the Master Eye has much to do with our aiming. I think that finding a straight line is very important. There are many drills out there to find your personal "vision center".

randyg

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not an instructor & I'm just trying to help based on my personal experiences.

I recently went through a short time where I was overcutting shots to the left. I am right handed & right eye dominant. Like bbb/Larry suggested
my head had somehow moved to the right & I was not seeing the straight line correctly. I played around with closing my left eye after setting up & making the adjustment & then open the eye & 'see' it before shooting. I think it gradually got me back on line.

I also recently went through a similar thing where I was putting a couple of hairs of right hand english on the CB on the few times that I wanted to hit on the center line. I traced that back to my grip hand. I was snatching the cue a bit & could not stop doing it consistently. I took my ring & pinky finger & actually put them on top of the cue so I was in essence only using my forefinger & middle finger. This worked for awhile but the problem would pop up from time to time. I then went back to a 'full' grip but with a much firmer connection to the cue (I don't think this is conventionally taught but suggested by CJ Wiley) & the problem has been solved. Doing that did change the 'trajectory' of my stroke though.

I don't use a pendulum stroke & I am obviously not a certified instructor so take anything I've said as you will or even throw it ALL away if you wish. I was merely trying to show what can happen & how it might be self corrected. Sometimes a band aid approach can lead one to a more permanent fix. But...better yet go see Fran or someone else as qualified as she is.

Rick

Thanks for the reminder, but what does that have to do with this thread?

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Rick

Hey, Rick. Whenever I start to put a little unwanted spin on the cue ball, I step back and look at my head position, too. When it's right, everything else is straight. :cool:

Best,
Mike

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Hey, Rick. Whenever I start to put a little unwanted spin on the cue ball, I step back and look at my head position, too. When it's right, everything else is straight. :cool:

Best,
Mike

Thanks Mike. I hope you have been well. I know for me that I AM right eye dominant & that IS my 'vision center' even though I have a significant astigmatism in it. I guess that might be why my left eye sometimes tries to help even though it is actually hurting my game. If I could make a switch to my left eye ALL at once it might be a good thing but I doubt that that is ever going to happen.

Maybe everyone that is having problems 'with their stroke' or 'aiming' should go to the eye doctor & they might find the root cause of their problems. The human mind & body can do amazing things when there are no roadblocks & even when there are if one knows about them.

Well, I'm off to try & stay 'tuned' as I finished in 1st. in my in house money league & playoffs start Thursday. I've already spent too much time here today....

Best Wishes & Stay Well,
Rick

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Thanks for the reminder, but what does that have to do with this thread?

Jon,

I was using myself & my experiences as an example. That was meant as sort of a qualifier to the OP.

IMHO, I do not think a full firm 'grip', connection to the cue, works very well when one is attempting to use a 'full' pendulum stroke. That in & of itself might be his problem or at least part of his problem. Thank you for bringing that out, as we ALL ARE trying to help the OP. Aren't we?

Best Wishes to you,
Rick

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jon,

I was using myself & my experiences as an example. That was meant as sort of a qualifier to the OP.

IMHO, I do not think a full firm 'grip', connection to the cue, works very well when one is attempting to use a 'full' pendulum stroke. That in & of itself might be his problem or at least part of his problem. Thank you for bringing that out, as we ALL ARE trying to help the OP. Aren't we?

Best Wishes to you,
Rick

That's all fine and dandy, but I don't care about your experiences, especially when they don't relate to the OP.

So again, please tell me how you not using a pendulum stroke relates to someone being cross dominant like the OP?

This thread is about getting the head/vision center in the correct place. Not about what kind of stroke you choose or don't choose to use, and certainly nothing to do with the grip.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Hey guys I am in a pickle

All year, I have been seeing great improvement in my game. I am almost to the point were i can beat the ghost on a 4 1/8 in diamond table.

However, About 3 weeks ago I woke up and I can't shoot a ball straight in anymore. Now I am right handed left eye dominate and I have noticed that as i come through my forward stroke my right hand is swinging closer to my body and then out. Kinda like a C pattern or "inside out". That said I am constantly putting right hand english on the ball and a pretty significant amount of it too.

To make things more interesting, if i know if I have to spin a ball down a rail or where any 4:30 or 7:30 english is needed, I split the wickets. But anything that needs middle ball or just a half tip to a tip is fired straight into the rails.

Any thoughts on getting back in line. I have done the "shoot balls straight in the pocket drills with limited success as when i focus on it i can do 15 straight from the say the spot...but when i back it up and shoot it long say from the second diamond to a ball about middle table its less than 20%....

a month a go i could do 2 straight sets of racks of this shot without missing... HELP!!

Greg

Jon,

I guess I read differently than you & I don't care for you trolling the OP's thread. This is my last response to you here. I'm not playing your game.

My apologies to you Greg.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's an alignment issue.

If you aren't aligned properly, the cue can have a tendency to veer to the left or to the right, regardless of the type of stroke (pendulum, piston, pump, etc.) that you are using.

gtaylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks to all for their knowledge and opinions

I have got my vision center figured out - thanks again

Now it's delivery and alignment.

What it "feels" to me is that I have become to crouched over the cue along with a bent knee style stance. This stance is new as I used to play with straight legs. That said somewhere - somehow I have settled on this recently.

Couple that with my hunched over position of my torso and I think it's causing restriction and thus causing a veering strike on the cue