Mark Griffin

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hope they both fully recover.

It spread through a lot fo players in my local room. All have made a recovery health-wise, but it has taken a toll on them. Some never fully recovered their game from it. Others it took months to get back up to their normal speed.

I can't say if this is how it effects all pool players as I have not had it, but from the 6 people I know that had it, they all got back into good health, but really struggled with their pool games.

A similar scenario played out at Griff's poolroom in Las Vegas. There were no safeguards in place and many people got sick. It was closed after Mark and Gary were diagnosed.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
From my own experience, my 25 year old daughter had it in March. Her case was relatively mild but she had and still has some shortness of breath from it. It's a pretty common symptom. It can take months to fully recover for some people.

On my return from the Philippines on Jan. 26 I sat next to a Chinese man who was coughing and sneezing. This was long before the virus was well known here. Five days after returning home I got sick, and then I got much sicker, with a sore throat and a deep retching cough that would not relent for a minute. I had extreme shortness of breath and would tire just by getting out of bed and going to the bathroom. Twice in the first week I told my wife I may need to go to the hospital if this gets any worse.

God bless my Filipina wife, as she made me a home remedy of hot Ginger tea laced with other healing herbs. I drank this over and over all day long and it seemed to lessen the symptoms enough that I could at least stay home. I learned to sleep on my stomach, with it somehow allowing me to breath at night. We've since learned this is very important for people just starting to show symptoms. After maybe a week or so of utter misery the cough began to subside. I felt like I was getting better. Little by little I began to resume some light activity.

The recovery process was so, so slow though. It seemed like I would never fully recover. Finally, after six long weeks (by now mid March) I began to feel like myself again. I could actually go outside and exercise and go for walks. It was the longest and most severe illness I have ever experienced. Fortunately I do not have any underlying disabilities like obesity or diabetes. I was in fairly good health for a man my age, always staying active and getting regular exercise. Otherwise I might not have survived.

Thank God for ginger tea and my loving wife. :smiling-heart:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i dont and have never stayed within range of anyone that is coughing and sneezing.
even on a plane if someone is near i make the attendant move my seat to a safer one. they always do so as not to have a confrontation.
why on earth would you let anyone make you sick and stay there. they are the one who should be taken off or move to a secure place as they are the inconsiderate person.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Where is this happening?

And when you say they struggle, what kind of symptoms are you speaking of?

Lou Figueroa
Not disclosing my location out right, but you can probably figure it out from my posting history.

Struggling referring to their pool game. Bad position, missed shots, etc... Like I said, health wise, they are OK. Pool game took a hit, more then a what a few weeks of not shooting would do.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
i dont and have never stayed within range of anyone that is coughing and sneezing.
even on a plane if someone is near i make the attendant move my seat to a safer one. they always do so as not to have a confrontation.
why on earth would you let anyone make you sick and stay there. they are the one who should be taken off or move to a secure place as they are the inconsiderate person.

On a full plane there are not many options other than to lie down in the aisle somewhere. Remember back in January no one was saying much about the virus yet.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
once your neighbor shows signs of sick, moving isn't going to change all that much anyway.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not disclosing my location out right, but you can probably figure it out from my posting history.

Struggling referring to their pool game. Bad position, missed shots, etc... Like I said, health wise, they are OK. Pool game took a hit, more then a what a few weeks of not shooting would do.

lol, worried Protege will pay a visit?

Lou Figueroa
in STL
come get me, boys

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A similar scenario played out at Griff's poolroom in Las Vegas. There were no safeguards in place and many people got sick. It was closed after Mark and Gary were diagnosed.

Jay, I’m happy you recovered.

Is Griffs currently closed? I heard a lot of action matches were taking place there in recent months

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
kinda hard to believe it is all the same thing

From my own experience, my 25 year old daughter had it in March. Her case was relatively mild but she had and still has some shortness of breath from it. It's a pretty common symptom. It can take months to fully recover for some people.

Symptoms range from none to death. In between are wildly varying symptoms. What is covid and what isn't? I have been very sick twice since the covid crap came along. Highly unusual for me as I don't even catch a cold most years. Was one or both times covid? I don't know. With the shortage of test kits I decided not to use up one just to satisfy what amounts to little more than idle curiosity once I have recovered or largely recovered. I am dealing with tiring very easily and staying tired when I get tired, might be done for the day.

I can't help thinking that covid diagnosis is largely BS, both positive and negative. They are testing for antibodies and I have became skeptical of how accurately they are discerning covid 19 antibodies.

Strange and troubling times.

Hu

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
I just spoke to Mark and he is about to get out of the hospital. He sounded pretty good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Great to hear. I think this a good time for everyone to recognize the contributions Mark has done for the pool community over the years. He has done a lot in many areas, Pro and amateur alike. Thanks you Mark, God bless and may you have a full and speedy recovery.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There’s a web site dedicated for Covid19 survivors struggling with lingering symptoms.
I’ve been wondering if any of those survivors took HCQ.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought I had a mild case. Lasted weeks. Later an antibody test was negative. Since learned tests can be up to 50% false negative. I am staying out of the pool room and a lot of other places until a reliable vaccine is available.

Last edited:

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought I had a mild case. Lasted weeks. Later an antibody test was negative. Since learned tests can be 50% false negative. I am staying out of the pool room and a lot of other places until a reliable vaccine is available.

Hope your getting better soon. Covid is serious business!!

I miss Shooters a lot. Might have been the best league I was involved. I have not been to a pool hall really except for a 65 second visit recently...

Look for post #71

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6711076#post6711076

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
On my return from the Philippines on Jan. 26 I sat next to a Chinese man who was coughing and sneezing. This was long before the virus was well known here. Five days after returning home I got sick, and then I got much sicker, with a sore throat and a deep retching cough that would not relent for a minute. I had extreme shortness of breath and would tire just by getting out of bed and going to the bathroom. Twice in the first week I told my wife I may need to go to the hospital if this gets any worse.

God bless my Filipina wife, as she made me a home remedy of hot Ginger tea laced with other healing herbs. I drank this over and over all day long and it seemed to lessen the symptoms enough that I could at least stay home. I learned to sleep on my stomach, with it somehow allowing me to breath at night. We've since learned this is very important for people just starting to show symptoms. After maybe a week or so of utter misery the cough began to subside. I felt like I was getting better. Little by little I began to resume some light activity.

The recovery process was so, so slow though. It seemed like I would never fully recover. Finally, after six long weeks (by now mid March) I began to feel like myself again. I could actually go outside and exercise and go for walks. It was the longest and most severe illness I have ever experienced. Fortunately I do not have any underlying disabilities like obesity or diabetes. I was in fairly good health for a man my age, always staying active and getting regular exercise. Otherwise I might not have survived.

Thank God for ginger tea and my loving wife. :smiling-heart:

What else is in the tea?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So she tests negative but still has symptoms? I guess i didnt know it worked that way.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So she tests negative but still has symptoms? I guess i didnt know it worked that way.

The test works like this:
If you test positive there is a 99% chance you have it.
If you test negative you might have it.

Originally false negatives were as high as 50%. Now the tests are better but not sure how much.

That doesn’t mean 50% of people who test negative have it. It means if you have it there is about a 50% chance you will test negative. So if you test 100 people and 5 test positive you might have another 5 or so that are positive that weren’t detected.

In this case if you test negative there is a 1/20 or 5% chance that you had a false negative.

I think it’s based on how much viral load you have where they test. So if you just got it and it hasn’t replicated much or if your immune system has already fought it down the viral load might be reduced.

I’m a layperson when it comes to this subject so anyone with a better description please chime in.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Don't know where you got that she tested negative, but she tested positive for the viral test and later for the antibody test. She was able to quarantine thankfully. She's a USC grad student. We were fortunate in March that USC already had an allocation of the swab tests, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to get a test. Then she enrolled in an antibody test study conducted by USC.

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't know where you got that she tested negative, but she tested positive for the viral test and later for the antibody test. She was able to quarantine thanksfully. She's a USC grad student. We were fortunate in March that USC already had an allocation of the swab tests, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to get a test. Then she enrolled in an antibody test study conducted by USC.

Well i got that because you said she HAD it in march so i assumed she no longer has it which presumed a test indicated that.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Well i got that because you said she HAD it in march so i assumed she no longer has it which presumed a test indicated that.

She was over it in about 3 weeks total. The after effects can linger for months after the disease is gone. Hopefully she will heal completely given time.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The after effects can linger for months after the disease is gone. Hopefully she will heal completely given time.

Yes, indeed. Best wishes to your daughter and to your entire family. These times are most definitely testing us all to the max.