Standard Gold Crown 1 Pockets

NYCnoob99

Registered
I am buying a GC1, it comes with standard pockets and original Monarch rubber, which I think are pretty wide (4.75-5)?

I am relatively new to the game and not good by any means - probably an APA 4/5. Does it make sense to stick with these pockets for a few years until I get better and then try to get the professionally tightened up by a reputable mechanic, or does it make sense to do it now before I get it installed? I obviously want a table that will help me improve my skills, but I also probably have plenty to improve on at my level even with standard big pockets.

Thoughts?

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep 'em big.

By the time you bang around enough balls to want the extra challenge of tighter pockets your table will need new cloth and easy enough to do that work then.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep 'em big.

By the time you bang around enough balls to want the extra challenge of tighter pockets your table will need new cloth and easy enough to do that work then.

Good advice, but the flip side to that tighter pockets can help teach you to be more precise in your aiming.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leave the pockets big for now. Do as haystj says, when you need new cloth that will be the time to have them tightened.

In the meantime, if you want to shoot into tighter pockets, get a set of Pocket Reducers. The best training aid out there as far as i am concerned.

r/DCP

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on your skill level, I think you would get the most enjoyment on a table with standard or at most, just minimally tighter pockets.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
I agree on leaving it alone for now. In addition to developing your game and confidence, other people you play with (of lessor skill) will be happier they can make a ball.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By all means leave them big for now. It will help you learn how to cheat pockets and move the cue ball around. Help your confidence on longer shots. As you get better you can go from bobbling balls in to splitting the pocket.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... get a set of Pocket Reducers. The best training aid out there as far as i am concerned.
No. They change the way pockets take balls.

He would be much better off marking the center of each pocket (shown how elsewhere) and working on each shot to drive each object ball exactly over the mark. If the ball dribbles in off the sides, replay the shot once striving for more accuracy.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am buying a GC1, it comes with standard pockets and original Monarch rubber, which I think are pretty wide (4.75-5)?

I am relatively new to the game and not good by any means - probably an APA 4/5. Does it make sense to stick with these pockets for a few years until I get better and then try to get the professionally tightened up by a reputable mechanic, or does it make sense to do it now before I get it installed? I obviously want a table that will help me improve my skills, but I also probably have plenty to improve on at my level even with standard big pockets.

Thoughts?
Sounds like you've got it figured out about right. Stick with the 5-inch pockets for now. Just make sure the cushion rubbers are still lively / in good shape, otherwise the table won't play as it should, regardless of who sets it up for you. A reputable and honest installer should let you know whether the cushions are still good or not.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leave the pockets big for now. Do as haystj says, when you need new cloth that will be the time to have them tightened.

I agree about keeping the current pockets as long as the rail rubbers are in good condition. But don’t count on being able to wear out the cloth as a trigger for having them tightened. I have been waiting for that time so I can justify to my wife having mine redone. But that Simonis 860HR won’t wear out and it has been 25 years.

If the rubber needs to be replaced, I would consider having the pockets tightened, but I would try to match the pockets at your local pool hall.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When you mentioned marking the center of the pocket, do you mean just with chalk? Does that really make things that much better than simply making sure you don't rattle the ball in?
I use those stick-on donuts to mark the pocket centers for students.

Many beginners have a problem seeing where the center is. It is not obvious when you are not shooting straight down the centerline of the pocket. Some players favor the back of the pocket which doesn't work very well off the centerline.

It is important to not have any left-right bias on your target or you are throwing away shots where you add to your bias. Simply not rattling is OK but you should strive for more accuracy. Try to hit the donut. Try to go over the donut hole. Make sure you note your errors, even if the ball goes in.

I have a nasty habit of asking students which side of the pocket they hit on that last missed shot. Stunned silence is too often the reaction.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since it is a table for home use, it would be good to know what games you are going to play. If you are playing 14.1 or 8 ball, the standard pocket size would be best because you want to get used to running balls. If 9 ball is your game, the standard size would also be good for a beginning player because the larger pocket size lets you cheat the pocket for a wider range of position shots.

Folks may disagree with this because it breaks the paradigm, but you may want to tighten up the two corner pockets at the head of the table to play One Pocket. When playing One Pocket, rack at the head of the table to use the tighter pockets . This also gives you experience in determining how tight you want them when you recover. You my or may not like tight pockets.

If it is a family table with friends coming over often, keep them the standard size. It just makes the game more fun for everybody.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you mentioned marking the center of the pocket, do you mean just with chalk? Does that really make things that much better than simply making sure you don't rattle the ball in?

Yes use the stick on white donuts placed at the center of each pocket opening - try to roll over the center each shot. Tight pockets right now would ruin your stroke for life - you will forever have a negative thought in your head prior to many shots BC with tight pockets now you will miss way more often than make tougher shots. Learning to stay down and stroke through the cue ball WHILE your eye are focused on the object ball contact point is one of the most important keys to great pool playing.
You will not develop the confidence needed in your stroke if you start with tight pockets unless you are one of the greatest naturals in the game- and it sounds like you are not based on your current rating.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Many beginners have a problem seeing where the center is. It is not obvious when you are not shooting straight down the centerline of the pocket.
Visually, the target spot is midway between the pocket points from any angle - that's pretty intuitive for me, and it illustrates why that's the target.

Some players favor the back of the pocket which doesn't work very well off the centerline.
It amazes me that so many players don't realize the ball has to enter the mouth of the pocket.

I have a nasty habit of asking students which side of the pocket they hit on that last missed shot. Stunned silence is too often the reaction.
I discipline myself during practice by dividing the pocket into center/left/right and choosing one for each shot.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Visually, the target spot is midway between the pocket points from any angle - that's pretty intuitive for me, and it illustrates why that's the target....
I believe a better point is at the intersection of the rail grooves for the corner pockets. I think your point is farther from the pocket than that. The are both on the 45-degree centerline of the pocket.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
throughout history pool table had those size pockets. only in recent history did they make them smaller because of the new cloths used. and to make balls tougher for top players for tv.
if you want to be frustrated and miss shots all time time make the holes smaller.
when players that cant run 50 or more balls regularly in straight pool tell you to make the pockets smaller as its too easy, i laugh.