Ray Schuler Cue - Refinish/Restore Or Not?

Mirfster

Registered
Searched a little in the forums on this, but didn't get too much so I figured I would straight out ask. :)

First off, I have been a big fan of Schuler Cues forever and thinking of getting my favorite (>20 year cue) refinished/restored.

It is not in terrible shape, but has some dings in the butt and most of all there is a spot right over the signature where the finish is showing a hairline crack...

My main concerns is if the Signature is redone (by Schuler Cues) does that affect the value since it is no longer the "original" Signature? Not that I am looking to sell, but also would not want to devalue it either...

FWIW, This still is one of my "Daily Players" and I am contacting Schuler Cues to get info. Just wanted to get additional opinions.

TIA

Logandgriff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've had cues refinished where the signature was preserved. Maybe they can do that with yours.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Searched a little in the forums on this, but didn't get too much so I figured I would straight out ask. :)

First off, I have been a big fan of Schuler Cues forever and thinking of getting my favorite (>20 year cue) refinished/restored.

It is not in terrible shape, but has some dings in the butt and most of all there is a spot right over the signature where the finish is showing a hairline crack...

My main concerns is if the Signature is redone (by Schuler Cues) does that affect the value since it is no longer the "original" Signature? Not that I am looking to sell, but also would not want to devalue it either...

FWIW, This still is one of my "Daily Players" and I am contacting Schuler Cues to get info. Just wanted to get additional opinions.

TIA

Schuler cues really does not exist. You'd have to contact the company that makes them. Even then, so what, they can "sign" the cue.

Contact a guy named Noel Mendoza in Chicago who has permission from the widow to use the name and sell under Schuler's name still to this day. But, any good cue maker can refinish the cue and save the signature.

Mirfster

Registered
Thanks all for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

I've had cues refinished where the signature was preserved. Maybe they can do that with yours.
Schuler Cues or other?

Schuler cues really does not exist. You'd have to contact the company that makes them. Even then, so what, they can "sign" the cue.

Contact a guy named Noel Mendoza in Chicago who has permission from the widow to use the name and sell under Schuler's name still to this day. But, any good cue maker can refinish the cue and save the signature.
Yeah I understand that we are no longer blessed with Mr. Schuler. Wasn't sure if Mr. Mendoza was the proper contact, will for sure reach out to him. I even heard talk that Jacoby was licensed as well.

Heck, even Jacoby's repair form looks the same as the one from Schuler-Cues:
Jacoby's: https://www.jacobycustomcues.com/RepairOrderForm.pdf
Schuler-Cue's: https://schuler-cues.com/images/RepairOrderFormSchuler.pdf

Mirfster

Registered

Apologies, but saw this post you made a while ago about Mr. Mendoza and it got me a bit concerned:
... I would not allow anyone I know have this man build and/or refinish a cue for them unless I really did not like them....

Granted that was 6 years ago, but is that still your opinion? If so, why do you hate me? ;)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recall reading a press release maybe 10 years ago that a bigger cue company was now (then) making Schuler? I think in a short span they took over manufacturing of Schuler, Stinger, and maybe Bludworth. I think it was McDermott? I might be way in left field.

Mirfster

Registered
I recall reading a press release maybe 10 years ago that a bigger cue company was now (then) making Schuler? I think in a short span they took over manufacturing of Schuler, Stinger, and maybe Bludworth. I think it was McDermott? I might be way in left field.

Called Jacoby and spoke to someone there since I noticed that the address of both theirs and Schuler-Cues was the exact same. They informed me that they are licensed to sign Schuler's (guessing that since they are one in the same place); but may not have to depending on the condition. Might ship to them for evaluation/estimate; before having any work done.

I know I am probably being overly cautious, but I just want to be safe for sentimental reasons.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its your playing cue make it the way you want it. besides schuler cues arent worth so much that you have to worry about value being diminished.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Noel worked in the factory under Ray Schuler, actually building Schuler cues. I saw him there working many times when I visited Ray. No one knows the cues better than Noel does. Chances are he built the one you're playing with. And he happens to be a great guy on top of it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen both and the cues made by Jacoby are nicer. They have the weight cartridges and will make any Schuler taper shaft you want.