Old
  (#211)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
   
09-21-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentfromtoledo View Post
Yeah, they were literally wired together with a piece of wire when I took the table apart. I did tell him about this before I shipped! GREAT FIX!!! I LOVE IT!

Can't wait to see the finished product, you guys are kickin ass!


Trent from Toledo
Yes, this was not a surprise, Trent absolutely told me prior to my purchase. It sure doesn’t feel like I’m kicking ass. More like I’m getting my ass kicked!
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#212)
GaryB
AzB Silver Member
GaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond reputeGaryB has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 720
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: So. Calif
   
09-22-2019, 02:07 AM

Out of curiosity if the two of you didn't have the mechanical skills you obviously have how much do you feel all of the work would have cost using a professional mechanic.

Great score regardless.

I have loved the few Gold Crown Ones I have been able to play on. Lot of things to love about Diamonds but when you hit a ball at perfect speed down the rail and the pocket doesn't accept the ball, generally because, I am told, of the deep shelf, there is just something wrong about that. Pros and cons about everything in life.

The one thing that really went right from the start you found what you wanted at a great price!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Back in the 60's in So. Calif there was great pool to be found in Bowling Alleys. Tropicana Lanes where Richie Florence could be found om most days, 5 Corners out El Monte & Baldwin Park way with the Mexican Mafia led by various guys like Francisco Galindo. Good pool and well kept equipment. Finds like that just make smile and shake my head in appreciation.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#213)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute
 
rexus31's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 542
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Gabriel, CA
   
09-22-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
Out of curiosity if the two of you didn't have the mechanical skills you obviously have how much do you feel all of the work would have cost using a professional mechanic.

Great score regardless.

I have loved the few Gold Crown Ones I have been able to play on. Lot of things to love about Diamonds but when you hit a ball at perfect speed down the rail and the pocket doesn't accept the ball, generally because, I am told, of the deep shelf, there is just something wrong about that. Pros and cons about everything in life.

The one thing that really went right from the start you found what you wanted at a great price!!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Back in the 60's in So. Calif there was great pool to be found in Bowling Alleys. Tropicana Lanes where Richie Florence could be found om most days, 5 Corners out El Monte & Baldwin Park way with the Mexican Mafia led by various guys like Francisco Galindo. Good pool and well kept equipment. Finds like that just make smile and shake my head in appreciation.
Thanks for sharing Gary! I always enjoy hearing about the pool scene in SoCal before my time. Let's not forget Frank Almanza!

To be honest, I'm not sure what it would have cost to have a mechanic restore one of these as I never got a price quote. Maybe Trent and Glen can chime in on that. I know the rail work, cushions, cloth and setup is going to run me $1,500 so I would imagine another $2K-$3K to restore it all the way?


"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#214)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute
 
realkingcobra's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,200
vCash: 5785
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: On the road everywhere.
   
09-22-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus31 View Post
Thanks for sharing Gary! I always enjoy hearing about the pool scene in SoCal before my time. Let's not forget Frank Almanza!

To be honest, I'm not sure what it would have cost to have a mechanic restore one of these as I never got a price quote. Maybe Trent and Glen can chime in on that. I know the rail work, cushions, cloth and setup is going to run me $1,500 so I would imagine another $2K-$3K to restore it all the way?
The biggest problem with that, is finding someone that can do a full restore, not just a paint job!!
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#215)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,771
vCash: 500
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toledo, Ohio
   
09-22-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus31 View Post
Thanks for sharing Gary! I always enjoy hearing about the pool scene in SoCal before my time. Let's not forget Frank Almanza!

To be honest, I'm not sure what it would have cost to have a mechanic restore one of these as I never got a price quote. Maybe Trent and Glen can chime in on that. I know the rail work, cushions, cloth and setup is going to run me $1,500 so I would imagine another $2K-$3K to restore it all the way?
You are definitely in the ballpark on the price. I do not usually restore other peoples tables, but, on occasion I will if they are cooperative and understand the cost/ value for the amount of work/ time that goes into a project.

I never get requests for what you guys are doing and quite frankly I am a little envious! I have only sold one original GC1 in original condition. It was literally mint and I have never found one that nice again! Most people who call me want a custom GC: stained wood and their choice of powder coating/plating, new simonis, pockets, cushions(some want to spend on the rail mods and some do not) and of course delivered/installed. Again, hats off to you guys for rising to the challenge! It will all be worth it when you are done and you will NEVER need to buy another pool table. Not to mention the gratification of doing it for yourself. Have a great day everyone!

Trent from Toledo
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#216)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute
 
rexus31's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 542
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Gabriel, CA
   
09-22-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentfromtoledo View Post
You are definitely in the ballpark on the price. I do not usually restore other peoples tables, but, on occasion I will if they are cooperative and understand the cost/ value for the amount of work/ time that goes into a project.

I never get requests for what you guys are doing and quite frankly I am a little envious! I have only sold one original GC1 in original condition. It was literally mint and I have never found one that nice again! Most people who call me want a custom GC: stained wood and their choice of powder coating/plating, new simonis, pockets, cushions(some want to spend on the rail mods and some do not) and of course delivered/installed. Again, hats off to you guys for rising to the challenge! It will all be worth it when you are done and you will NEVER need to buy another pool table. Not to mention the gratification of doing it for yourself. Have a great day everyone!

Trent from Toledo
Thanks, Trent! I like projects but I am ready for this one to be done so I can start enjoying it!


"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#217)
L I F D 1
L S S T 10
L I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond reputeL I F D 1 has a reputation beyond repute
 
L I F D 1's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 500
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Join Date: Aug 2018
   
09-22-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
The biggest problem with that, is finding someone that can do a full restore, not just a paint job!!
Weren't there 2 tables in that barn? Any news of the 2nd Crown 1?
(thread is super cool by the way, really enjoying the read, thanks)


  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#218)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute
 
rexus31's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 542
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Gabriel, CA
   
09-22-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L I F D 1 View Post
Weren't there 2 tables in that barn? Any news of the 2nd Crown 1?
(thread is super cool by the way, really enjoying the read, thanks)
My buddy got the other table and is giving his the same treatment I am. He's the guy I fixed the skirts for.


"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#219)
poolhustler
AzB Silver Member
poolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond repute
 
poolhustler's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,754
vCash: 3500
iTrader: 167 / 100%
Join Date: May 2007
   
09-22-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
No, you just happen to live in an environment where there's very little change in the humidity levels😎
Understood... thanks for clarifying that your original comment was in fact wrong.


"Then again...you may be the Antichrist"
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#220)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
   
09-22-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L I F D 1 View Post
Weren't there 2 tables in that barn? Any news of the 2nd Crown 1?
(thread is super cool by the way, really enjoying the read, thanks)
Second table owner here: some behind Rexus but that gives me the advantage of learning from his progress.

Biggest hurdle at the moment is getting a decent paint finish on the base. 4 coats and sanding between gets old.

Had the corner castings, feet, and trim powder coated (discovered an issue with one casting). One corner had been used as a sawhorse it looks like and they cut into a pocket! Didn’t notice (doh)! and now I have to find and buy another and have it coated at the same vendor.

Have repaired the ball box.

Bought a set of wings from Trent, and Rexus did a nice job repairing a few issues with them — see above.

Bought a few misc parts from classic Billiards, muellers and a local nut and bolt store.

Buffed out the formica and pulled cloth and staples from all the rails. Very pleased with the results,

Scored a sweet replica Brunswick sticker from Rexus. Love that detail! Even though nobody will ever see it lol.

Brother is going to give the paint a go this week. Wish me luck. Maybe I’ll catch Rexus soon!
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#221)
pocket
AzB Silver Member
pocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond reputepocket has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern California
   
09-22-2019, 08:37 PM

Also looking for a triangle rack, along with the corner pocket casting.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#222)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute
 
realkingcobra's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,200
vCash: 5785
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: On the road everywhere.
   
09-22-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolhustler View Post
Understood... thanks for clarifying that your original comment was in fact wrong.
Wrong?...LOL go take a look at some of the Gabriel's tables in California, the rail skirts and leg pedestals all have spider web cracks in the finish, because they're made out of MDF and not Maple hardwood, like the rail skirts on your table is made from.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#223)
rexus31
AzB Silver Member
rexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond reputerexus31 has a reputation beyond repute
 
rexus31's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 542
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Gabriel, CA
   
09-23-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket View Post
Second table owner here: some behind Rexus but that gives me the advantage of learning from his progress.

Biggest hurdle at the moment is getting a decent paint finish on the base. 4 coats and sanding between gets old.

Had the corner castings, feet, and trim powder coated (discovered an issue with one casting). One corner had been used as a sawhorse it looks like and they cut into a pocket! Didnít notice (doh)! and now I have to find and buy another and have it coated at the same vendor.

Have repaired the ball box.

Bought a set of wings from Trent, and Rexus did a nice job repairing a few issues with them ó see above.

Bought a few misc parts from classic Billiards, muellers and a local nut and bolt store.

Buffed out the formica and pulled cloth and staples from all the rails. Very pleased with the results,

Scored a sweet replica Brunswick sticker from Rexus. Love that detail! Even though nobody will ever see it lol.

Brother is going to give the paint a go this week. Wish me luck. Maybe Iíll catch Rexus soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocket View Post
Also looking for a triangle rack, along with the corner pocket casting.
It's a marathon, not a sprint. You're doing great and the table will be done soon enough.

Did you mean you need a triangle rack holder of the actual rack?


"What 'aint no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#224)
strmanglr scott
AzB Silver Member
strmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond reputestrmanglr scott has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 6,957
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
   
09-23-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Wrong?...LOL go take a look at some of the Gabriel's tables in California, the rail skirts and leg pedestals all have spider web cracks in the finish, because they're made out of MDF and not Maple hardwood, like the rail skirts on your table is made from.
MDF is more stable as for expansion, contraction and warping than solid wood. MDF, not particle board.


The rail is your best friend.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#225)
poolhustler
AzB Silver Member
poolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond reputepoolhustler has a reputation beyond repute
 
poolhustler's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 9,754
vCash: 3500
iTrader: 167 / 100%
Join Date: May 2007
   
09-23-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Wrong?...LOL go take a look at some of the Gabriel's tables in California, the rail skirts and leg pedestals all have spider web cracks in the finish, because they're made out of MDF and not Maple hardwood, like the rail skirts on your table is made from.
Ohhh my bad Ö I thought this was a GC restoration thread. Didn't realize it changed to a Gabriel's table restoration thread. Thanks for clarifying Glen .. LOL


"Then again...you may be the Antichrist"
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 15 of 22 « First 5131415 1617 Last »

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.