How many here are big fans of 8 Ball Pool?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
WPA 8 ball is the Perfect game for B and C players. I honestly think it's the best game for players at that Level to test their skills. Instead they're playing 9 ball, which at that playing Level is pretty much a lottery rather than a test of skill. I have, however, never seen a top player in my country practising WPA 8 ball, other than maybe a few days before the national championship. It's an simple game With balanced rules, but it's just not challenging enough to keep the interest of the top players. They practise straight pool and rotation games instead.

Chinese 8 ball is a Perfect solution for the best players, but it doesn't seem to be taking off in Europe. People don't want to change the Equipment on which they play, which is a shame because it has the potential to unify snooker and pool players in a common game.

The UK pool games are great and are my favourite games to play these days. I like the Precision, the strategy, everything. It also gets talent from both snooker and pool ranks. But again, the Equipment makes it tough to transition and recruit.

The "banger" rules of 8 ball are often played as "last Pocket" which is actually a variation that could be interesting for the best players. Unfortunately they won't play because they associate it With bangers...It's a strange world we live in.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
best hustler's game

Eight ball in all of it's many variations is the best hustlers game. Whether you are playing for money or just playing with bangers for fun and don't want to announce your speed, eight ball is the ticket!

I like eight ball, I like it best on a bar table. Those that hold eight ball on the bar table in light regard haven't played a champion on one. You have to run out or play very very safe every time at the table. "OK" safes are usually good enough on a nine footer, not so on a bar table. There doesn't seem to be nearly as many two way shots in big table and nine ball play either. Playing a champion eight ball on a bar table it was two way shots that saved my bacon.

Not up to a rhyme right now but the immortal words of Don Adams come to mind, "missed by thaaat much."

Hu

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes...Moments of brilliance surrounded by hours of terror!!:eek:

Beneath the lights I dance with the white.
I hit the balls with all my might.
They stare in awe, I hit the pockets with a thud.
When all of a sudden its like im stuck in mud.
I miss the 8 and let out a groan.
F U balls I'm going home!

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm an 8-ball player, mostly on barboxes now.

If given a choice I'll always choose to play 8-ball over 9-ball. We basically play BCA rules, except 8 ball breaks and 8-ball breaks with a scratch aren't wins or losses.

I've played plenty of 9-ball for 30 years now, in league, gambling and tournaments and I just don't like the slop factor. In fact, when I used to gamble with some buddies of mine, all good players, we took slop out of the game. All shots had to be called or rather all shots were 'call your pocket,' and the 9 had to be called into a pocket or it was BIH.

The only reason to play 9-ball in a bar is to take some drunk's money.

But for just shooting for fun, I'll take 8-ball every time, no question. Just a better game.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I love 8 ball. I, of course, love all pool games but I take my 8 ball playing just as serious as all the others. I don’t see it as a banger game or whatever just because it’s popular in bars and I definitely don’t consider it too easy. To me it’s just a fast game like 9 ball for the most part. A run out contest but with traffic in the way, with the occasional safety and moving battle.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Eight ball in all of it's many variations is the best hustlers game. Whether you are playing for money or just playing with bangers for fun and don't want to announce your speed, eight ball is the ticket!

I like eight ball, I like it best on a bar table. Those that hold eight ball on the bar table in light regard haven't played a champion on one. You have to run out or play very very safe every time at the table. "OK" safes are usually good enough on a nine footer, not so on a bar table. There doesn't seem to be nearly as many two way shots in big table and nine ball play either. Playing a champion eight ball on a bar table it was two way shots that saved my bacon.

Not up to a rhyme right now but the immortal words of Don Adams come to mind, "missed by thaaat much."

Hu

A lot of truth in that post.

One the top three pool players I've ever played against in life would run the table 70% of the time easy. I would play what I thought was a great safety and without much thought he'd play out of it. The guy knew how to get around the table and never really moved the CB much after contact w the OB.

I find 8 ball much easier on a 9ft table.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
A lot of truth in that post.

One the top three pool players I've ever played against in life would run the table 70% of the time easy. I would play what I thought was a great safety and without much thought he'd play out of it. The guy knew how to get around the table and never really moved the CB much after contact w the OB.

I find 8 ball much easier on a 9ft table.

Less traffic.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
There once was a man from Cork
Who played 8-ball in the State of New York
He said “About flukes
You’ll hafta put up your dukes.”
An Irishman can be a dork

...see what happens when a 9-ball fan starts a thread on 8-ball?....
...everything goes all to hell

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed that this incremental luck factor is the problem with take what you make. What I like about it, though, is that the runouts are, on average, a little tougher and I enjoy watching the premier players trying to negotiate the difficult runouts that arise.

I have never seen last pocket played on a nine footer, but I've seen it in the bars.

Standard WPA rules are by far the best if you ask me. Take what you make I don’t like but yes they do make the run outs harder - maybe take what you make with a push out option for the breaker would keep the run outs harder but make the game purer?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Socrates once said “to take what you make is a sure sign that your heart and brain are aligned and in good health” so that might tell you something right there.

Does anyone else read the title to this thread in the voice of Karl Boyes?

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

At our local VFW we have 2 weekly 8-Ball tourneys. Basic stuff,
Take what ya make,
8-Ball on break is a winner (cash prize too),
Call Ball & Pocket (how it gets there doesn't matter),
No Jump or Masse',
Scratch ='s BIH in the Kitchen.

hank

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Standard WPA rules are by far the best if you ask me. Take what you make I don’t like but yes they do make the run outs harder - maybe take what you make with a push out option for the breaker would keep the run outs harder but make the game purer?

Yeah, I'd be good with that.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will play it in a bar.
I will play it in a hall.
At the pub I'll play off the wall.

I enjoy the game with bca.
I dont really care for the apa.
There's not alot of rule sets that I hate.
I'll even play bank the 8.

I like this game of 8 ball pool.
At times it makes me look a fool.
I enjoy the game with bca
I don’t really care for apa

Me too

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The juke joint, and honky tonk favorite.

Everyone has played 8 Ball. I play ball in hand on all fouls, just like modern 9 Ball. Must call the shot on the 8.

8 ball, officially, is a called shot game, so not just the 8. Unless you are in APA or spend most of the time in bars where they are not aware of the larger pool world.

All my games I stick with world rules, so 8 ball for me is called shot, ball in hand anywhere, all balls stay down, open after the break until your first "LEGAL" shot. Had to emphasize the legal part since I have run into players that anything you pocket is yours even if you scratch or call a safe.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moved into a 55 & over community and all the guys play is 1 & 15 balls in the side pockets and of course call pocket on the 8. We have 2 Brunswicks with 860 Simonis and always play partners. At first it drove me crazy and what still does is that I can get not get anyone to play any other game. Some of the guys play pretty sporty but I still can't believe I have to get into my car and drive 15-20 miles to play any other game. I have come to the conclusion that free 1 & 15 is not too bad but you would think that I could occasionally them to play 1 & 15 plus last pocket but they scream whenever I bring it up. Oh well.