Youth Billiard Academy

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a much more detailed list with pictures of what I have going on here in California. Who wants to help?
Please share as much as possible. The only way this is going to happen is with the help of you guys. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I'm a little confused. And I hope you don't think I'm a knocker. I see your passion and that is good.

But, it appears you want the $50K to pay yourself for promoting the sport and helping get some folks become registered instructors?

At least, that is how I'm reading this? Correct me if I'm wrong. But I didn't see anything about spending money on actual equipment, tables, cues, chalk, team shirts, etc. etc. etc.

Thus, we need more of a business plan of what the money is going to be used for, how it will be used, and who will be using it.

$50K, you could completely buy all the equipment for the 8 schools you listed. tables, cues and accessories. Thus, if that is what you want to do, than please, say that and spell it out. So, if that is the case, man, shout it out, tell them about how all the money will be spent and get folks to pony up. also, what schools are we talking about that will get the equipment? And when you hit a certain stage, say $5K, will you buy a table and show the GOFUNDME account what was already bought to document the money is going to the schools ?

If I read this wrong, again, sorry but it was not very detailed of what you plan to do with the money ??

So, let me know if I read this wrong, or you just were not clear, but are you using funds for equipment ??

Last edited:

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand your confusion. Everything that has been done has been through donations of peoples time, work, and money. Total money out of my pocket so far has been about $200 to pay for gas and food for everyone that has helped. Getting the tables, balls, equipment, ect.. has all been through the items being donated.
Once the after school portion begins in January, the students will be required to pay a registration fee. This registration fee will cover the cost of uniforms and any equipment repairs needed. You are correct that the money will be coming to me. In order for me to make this happen, I will need to be able to ensure that my bills are taken care of as well so that I can give this my full attention without having to work the traditional full time job and focusing everything on this program. To give this program the best possible chance, this is the only way it can be.
Only $35,000 will be going towards paying myself. The other $15,000 will go to other business cost such as delivery and set up of the tables going into the schools, advertising, travel, and as I have said before, getting instructors qualified. The worst thing to do is to start this with instructors who are not really instructors.

As far as getting more equipment, everything I have has been donated. I not only have the 4 ready for another school, but have been contacted about two more today. I have absolutely no issue getting tables, and eventually will be reaching out to the manufactures to see about them donating tables as well.

I understand that people may think the $35,000 is steep, but if you consider the time and energy that will be put into this, I will be making much less than minimum wage. Here in California you are not able to live off of that. Luckily my Navy retirement allows me the ability to do this with not much extra require.

I hope that this answers some of your questions and if you have any more, please do not hesitate to ask.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Steve, Keep doing what your doing, it is a step in the right direction and the more steps we take in the right direction the quicker we will get where we want to go!

In the Army I had some great leaders and one that really stood out was LTG Quantock, he used to tell us all the time "don't tell me how we can't but how we can, I don't need 100% solution, give me 70%-80% and we will figure the rest of it out"

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim,

I appreciate you reaching out to me. We both know how good this program can be.
I also do not blame anyone or take offense to people curious as to how the money will be used. This is their hard earned money that I am asking for. While you and I both understand exactly what your LTG used to say, there are others that just have a different way of thought and would like things explained further. With these students, I will be doing the same thing. I currently go to Point Loma University to earn my Masters degree and Teaching credentials. Not every one learns the same way. Some go from point A to B with no problem. Others we start at A, need to go a different direction, but in the end will still get to B,.

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a little confused. And I hope you don't think I'm a knocker. I see your passion and that is good.

But, it appears you want the $50K to pay yourself for promoting the sport and helping get some folks become registered instructors?

At least, that is how I'm reading this? Correct me if I'm wrong. But I didn't see anything about spending money on actual equipment, tables, cues, chalk, team shirts, etc. etc. etc.

Thus, we need more of a business plan of what the money is going to be used for, how it will be used, and who will be using it.

$50K, you could completely buy all the equipment for the 8 schools you listed. tables, cues and accessories. Thus, if that is what you want to do, than please, say that and spell it out. So, if that is the case, man, shout it out, tell them about how all the money will be spent and get folks to pony up. also, what schools are we talking about that will get the equipment? And when you hit a certain stage, say $5K, will you buy a table and show the GOFUNDME account what was already bought to document the money is going to the schools ?

If I read this wrong, again, sorry but it was not very detailed of what you plan to do with the money ??

So, let me know if I read this wrong, or you just were not clear, but are you using funds for equipment ??

After having thought more on this, and having re-read the gofundme page, I have realized I left out a huge piece. I am a Recognized Instructor through the PBIA. As I explained on the page, I am instructing at the school 3 days a week right now. Even as this grows into multiple schools I will continue to instruct during lunch and during the after school program as well. Since the after school portion is only two days a week, it will allow me the availability at two schools. The school I am teaching at, Sullivan Middle School, is directly next to Bonsall High School. The principle there has already shown interest. So to answer your question, no I am not just promoting pool.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
Jim,

I appreciate you reaching out to me. We both know how good this program can be.
I also do not blame anyone or take offense to people curious as to how the money will be used. This is their hard earned money that I am asking for. While you and I both understand exactly what your LTG used to say, there are others that just have a different way of thought and would like things explained further. With these students, I will be doing the same thing. I currently go to Point Loma University to earn my Masters degree and Teaching credentials. Not every one learns the same way. Some go from point A to B with no problem. Others we start at A, need to go a different direction, but in the end will still get to B,.

I know what you mean going from A to B, I have to visit all of the other letter first before I arrive at B just because :thumbup:

I wish I was closer to you I would make a trip and assist you on occasion.

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know what you mean going from A to B, I have to visit all of the other letter first before I arrive at B just because :thumbup:

I wish I was closer to you I would make a trip and assist you on occasion.

Yeah, you and me both. I had a very difficult time in school growing up. None of my teachers ever took the time to figure out how to reach me. It was really tough on me back then. I am happy that I have taken the time to educate myself on how to reach the students and not believe that every student learns the same.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the thoughts behind what you're trying to do is admirable. That said, you need to align yourself with an advanced or master level PBIA instructor, to give credibility to your program. You have a few to choose from in CA. Approach them and try to get them behind your program. You also need to list your program here: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=317919. Additionally, you need to talk to Bart Mahoney, who had a successful high school program for several years in the Sacramento CA area. Another long time junior pool resource is Earl Munson, who had a successful HS program in Dallas for many years. He has since moved to AL. Contact the BEF for a way to talk to Earl. Doing all of this will give your program, and it's funding, a better chance to get legs.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Last edited:

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Master Instructors

IMO, the thoughts behind what you're trying to do is admirable. That said, you need to align yourself with an advanced or master level PBIA instructor, to give credibility to your program. You have a few to choose from in CA. Approach them and try to get them behind your program.

Scott Lee

Scott,
The Master Instructor that I trained under is currently writing something to attach to this post. I understand that some may see my status as a Recognized instructor a not as important. I can tell you that out of my 10 years in the Navy, I was an the main course instructor for the Combat Life Saver course in which I instructed over 2,100 people around the world. I have also found though that a very large number of players or investors may not have any clue about the different levels of being an instructor. After having talked with Shane Tyree of the BCA, there are only somewhere around 250 recognized instructors in the country. As the levels go up, those numbers shrink. I understand how getting someone with more experience could be very beneficial, but it is not a possibility.

I also am a little concerned with how little money the gofundme page has raised. Everyone talks a big game about how to improve our sport, but when there is a legitimate way to do that, people get really tight with their money. I understand what I am asking for is people's hard earned money. I am not doing this for a paycheck. That is not my motivation. At the same time, I do need to survive while instructing these kids and trying to make this program grow into what I know it can be.

Thanks for your advice and comments. I know this program can grow, it just may be a little slower than I thought.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve...You misunderstand my post. It's not that Recognized instructors are not important...they are...it's that people whom you're trying to 'impress' with your program will respond more positively with the association of a higher level instructor. You might be the best instructor in the world, but people still look at 'rankings' as a measure of experience and knowledge. I want you to talk to the gentlemen I mentioned to get a better perspective on your goal...when, where, how, and whom to communicate with...because they've already done it. There's no such thing as too much information, when it comes to beginning projects. Don't be too bummed out with the gofundme thing. Just because hundreds of people haven't donated yet means nothing. The worst thing you can do is get defensive about it. You've only had these posts up for a day. Give it some time. :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Scott,
The Master Instructor that I trained under is currently writing something to attach to this post. I understand that some may see my status as a Recognized instructor a not as important. I can tell you that out of my 10 years in the Navy, I was an the main course instructor for the Combat Life Saver course in which I instructed over 2,100 people around the world. I have also found though that a very large number of players or investors may not have any clue about the different levels of being an instructor. After having talked with Shane Tyree of the BCA, there are only somewhere around 250 recognized instructors in the country. As the levels go up, those numbers shrink. I understand how getting someone with more experience could be very beneficial, but it is not a possibility.

I also am a little concerned with how little money the gofundme page has raised. Everyone talks a big game about how to improve our sport, but when there is a legitimate way to do that, people get really tight with their money. I understand what I am asking for is people's hard earned money. I am not doing this for a paycheck. That is not my motivation. At the same time, I do need to survive while instructing these kids and trying to make this program grow into what I know it can be.

Thanks for your advice and comments. I know this program can grow, it just may be a little slower than I thought.

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve...You misunderstand my post. It's not that Recognized instructors are not important...they are...it's that people whom you're trying to 'impress' with your program will respond more positively with the association of a higher level instructor. You might be the best instructor in the world, but people still look at 'rankings' as a measure of experience and knowledge. I want you to talk to the gentlemen I mentioned to get a better perspective on your goal...when, where, how, and whom to communicate with...because they've already done it. There's no such thing as too much information, when it comes to beginning projects. Don't be too bummed out with the gofundme thing. Just because hundreds of people haven't donated yet means nothing. The worst thing you can do is get defensive about it. You've only had these posts up for a day. Give it some time. :thumbup:

Scott Lee
Scott,
I did think that I may have misread it, but I wanted to be sure. I completely understand what you mean as far as getting the Master Instructor on board. I also have been on the BEF page and have been shooting out emails to those running similar programs. I appreciate the advice.
As far as the Gofundme, even though I looked into ways to make it successful, none of those compare to what I learned last night. I listened to a podcast in which the owner of a company goes into great detail about what they did to not only reach their goal, but eventually get 20x the amount asked for. One of the biggest things he said was that when crowdfunding, the first hour of the first day will tell you have well it is being received. I also understand that while my program is very well organized and put into place, I did not realize how much effort and time I need to make the gofundme portion successful. It is something I am willing to do, just more time consuming than orignally thought.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Steve...You misunderstand my post. It's not that Recognized instructors are not important...they are...it's that people whom you're trying to 'impress' with your program will respond more positively with the association of a higher level instructor.
Scott Lee

Scott, I don't think it matters much one way or another. When they are raising money building more baseball fields, and recruiting more coaches, they are not asking what level of coaching and such they are, or anything else. They raised the money, they get the work done, they get the teams together, nobody cares about how much experience the actual coaches have, the job is to get them on the field and start playing, to start the love of the game. After that, it's all gravy.

I'd much rather know how many table you got, how many cues and accessories, because without that, nothing else matters. Build the interest, nobody cares about titles, that's just white noise, that most folks will care very little about. Get them on the TABLES, and get them playing. Get the parents and schools interested to see there is a sport for the folks that may not be good at or may just not like the main stream sports.

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott, I don't think it matters much one way or another. When they are raising money building more baseball fields, and recruiting more coaches, they are not asking what level of coaching and such they are, or anything else. They raised the money, they get the work done, they get the teams together, nobody cares about how much experience the actual coaches have, the job is to get them on the field and start playing, to start the love of the game. After that, it's all gravy.

I'd much rather know how many table you got, how many cues and accessories, because without that, nothing else matters. Build the interest, nobody cares about titles, that's just white noise, that most folks will care very little about. Get them on the TABLES, and get them playing. Get the parents and schools interested to see there is a sport for the folks that may not be good at or may just not like the main stream sports.

I agree with you about them not caring so much on having the instructor experience. I am a little confused though, because you asked about equipment. Please know that right now I am already fully loaded in one school and have most of the equipment for the other school. Every bit of that is through donations. The first three tables where confirmed as being donated within a week of me looking for donations. The 4th came the second week of being in talks with the school. The other 4 came before I ever even got to start the first program. You never responded to my replies to your questions, just wanted to see if there was any other info you would like to know.

v/r,
Steve

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why isnt the link to your gofundme page your signature line? Some are to lazy to go looking for it.;)

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why isnt the link to your gofundme page your signature line? Some are to lazy to go looking for it.;)

Luckily I read the rules before initially putting this post up. It is the very first rule listed and it is complete against the rules. I have realized as well, people are not even bothering to read the gofundme page itself. The sure have been sharing it though.

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be honest with ya. I think it's a bit undignified to come on her and ask for money so you can pay yourself a salary to help do this. I will probably get flamed by some on here, but something seems off about that aspect. Oh, you'd like to help, as long as you get paid?

You got your pension, so go get a part time job, and make this your hobby/passion that you don't charge for, but volunteer for the sport and the kids. Now, if a few parents want to hire you for personal, one on one instruction, then sure, charge something. Heck, eventually, it might work into a paying position at the HS level.

I've coached kids baseball for more than a dozen years, I was the league commission for a few years, I was at practice 3 nights a week, and went to every game. I went to board meetings, helped on the fields, evaluated kids at the tryouts, trained umpires, etc.

Next year, I was asked to coach my son's 17 year old travel team, and we will practice 3 times a week in the winter, and I will have to be at all the games, more of which will be out of town. And yes, I will most likely do this after my son leaves for college, cause I love teaching and love the sport.

And I've yet to make a dime for any of it

And yes, I also teach pool at the local teen center and senior center for FREE as well. Never thought about making money off that. The adults I charge, kind of pays me back for all the FREE pool stuff for seniors and kids. Maybe you should do something more like that, and keep the cash going into GREAT equipment for the kids.

And yes, you have done well thus far, and I applaud you. So, now is not the time to throw a monkey wrench into this The money needs to be used for the kids, not for you. Plain and simple. Just does not sit right for me, and maybe not with a few others. I can't be the only one, but most folks won't say won't they feel in an open forum.

Again, I applaud your efforts, but I really think you are being a little shortsighted worrying about who will pay you for your time ......Again, just my opinion in the matter. I'll even delete this post if you believe I hijacked your thread, so PM, and it will be gone. So, don't quote me ;)

ChicagoRJ,

I still believe that you are not understanding how big this can be and what I am trying to accomplish. I am not asking to get paid simply for instructing these kids. This is something that I see spreading across the country with me being involved with the start up of each and everyone. Every bit of logistics that needs to happen such as getting the tables, set up, finding and training instructors, will be handled by the Youth Billiard Academy. In order to do that it is more than just a full time job. Once this program and gains traction it will help even more legitimize pool as more than a bar game but a sport.
In order for me to take care of the students, I do need to make sure that I can have the program running we have to be financed to a point. My goal is to get corporate support to get much larger scholarships and sponsorship. Pool is already in multiple colleges throughout the US already with Mark Wilson coaching at Linwood University. Whats wrong with wanting more students to earn scholarships? Whats wrong with wanting pool to be in more colleges?
As far as "worrying who will pay me for my time", I can assure you that is not the case. Volunteering has always kind of been my thing. Since you do not know me, I will not take offense. Yes, of course I could always just stick to one or two schools, but that's not going to be enough to change the course and reputation of the sport. Ultimately, it will be a business, right now it is just an opening that I saw and I took it.