The Worst Kind of Sharking

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
I get unintentionally sharked in Korea constantly. They’re just clueless. Got sharked by a guy not even playing at my table the other night. He was playing in the other semi on a nearby table. Came over and grabbed the rest from my table right in my line of sight just as I was pulling the trigger. I blew up at him and asked what he was doing. He calmly told me there was no rest on his table, laughed and walked off.

Used to play a Thai guy at snooker years ago who would call your break as he was respotting the balls. However, as your break got higher and higher he would start to add his own exclamations of disbelief. “62....incredible!” “84....amazing!” He was playing my mate one day and getting extremely frustrated, to the point here he must have lost count, his exclamations become louder and more vibrant, till the final black went in on a total clearance and he yelled out, “165!!! Disbeliebadable!!!” Mate and I looked at each other with blank faces and then completely lost it.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
ahh, such a delicate flower.

I guess you pay no attention to the drunks pissing and vomiting outside on the sidewalk you walk on, the countless passersby who spit on your pathway, and the dogs who urinate and shit on the yellow brick road to the pool hall.

Lou Figueroa

So, you start a thread, talk about a guy with the worse shark move around that does something disgusting. So, I agree with you and you still get pissy. holy shit, there is no winning with you...

Sorry, the places I play don't have guys puking in the pool hall, or pissing on the sidewalk. And if someone does puke in the parking lot, that's not really the same as puking right next to where I'm playing pool.

So, yeah, I don't like to play in dirty, dingy bars with folks blowing their nose on the carpet. If that makes me delicate, so be it, its' better than the alternative.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Most places frown on unscrewing your cue while your opponent is at the table and consider it forfeiting.

What do you think about taking your glove off as your opponent successfully breaks and returns to the table from getting their playing cue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is a surrender.

Ipmtim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure if this falls under the sharking category, but definitely in the disgusting one.
At a local 8 ball tournament a guy was using his dentures to mark his pocket for the 8.
Officials told him to stop after 2nd infringement.
Can you imagine putting those back in your mouth :barf:

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A player who is not in CA anymore was an awful shark when he was a younger player in CA. Playing one pocket he would lay the chalk down in your line of vision when you were ready to deliver the final stroke on your break or another key shot when he was in the line of sight. We had a nickname for him since he was a young player. I won’t put it on here, but many out west will know who I am talking about. We were so used to it that it became kind of funny. As he became a better player he toned it down. He is a good guy and I have not heard of him reverting to any snarking for years.

Once in a 9 ball tournament at Hard Times, Sacramento, they had so many players we had to play our match out front, out of the usual tournament area. It was so crowded we had to lean our cues on one of the chairs around the table. As I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the nine ball to win the set, he hip checked the chair and his cues went tumbling, making quite a bit of noise. I won the set anyway.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
So after reading this thread and some of the "Shane cleaning hip tip" thread I began to
wonder, Is sharking really disrespectful? It's not very sportsmanlike, but does someone
respect or fear my game so much that they feel like they need some kind of advantage?

I know that in some sports there are some things that you just don't do, some things that
are intended to show disrespect, in swimming you spit in someone else's lane, in track
you intentionally walk in someone else's lane, in Hockey you intentionally spray another
skater, and so on.I had no idea that cleaning your tip on the carpet is disrespectful, I see
people do that all the time and I have never considered that to be disrespectful or sharking. Why is it?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
So after reading this thread and some of the "Shane cleaning hip tip" thread I began to
wonder, Is sharking really disrespectful? It's not very sportsmanlike, but does someone
respect or fear my game so much that they feel like they need some kind of advantage?

I know that in some sports there are some things that you just don't do, some things that
are intended to show disrespect, in swimming you spit in someone else's lane, in track
you intentionally walk in someone else's lane, in Hockey you intentionally spray another
skater, and so on.I had no idea that cleaning your tip on the carpet is disrespectful, I see
people do that all the time and I have never considered that to be disrespectful or sharking. Why is it?

The tip wipe isn’t a sharking move, just (in some minds) a slightly disrespectful gesture, as in “I’m wiping my stuff off on your stuff” lol. Disrespectful to the establishment not the opponent.

This thread was about a different subject, brought on by and loosely associated with the now infamous tip wiping thread.

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member

I guess you pay no attention to the drunks pissing and vomiting outside on the sidewalk you walk on, the countless passersby who spit on your pathway, and the dogs who urinate and shit on the yellow brick road to the pool hall.

Lou Figueroa

Keep it coming, Lou.

You have some funny stuff right there.

Jack Justis

CASEMAKER
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Keep it coming, Lou.

That is some funny stuff right there

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, you start a thread, talk about a guy with the worse shark move around that does something disgusting. So, I agree with you and you still get pissy. holy shit, there is no winning with you...

Sorry, the places I play don't have guys puking in the pool hall, or pissing on the sidewalk. And if someone does puke in the parking lot, that's not really the same as puking right next to where I'm playing pool.

So, yeah, I don't like to play in dirty, dingy bars with folks blowing their nose on the carpet. If that makes me delicate, so be it, its' better than the alternative.

You have missed the point entirely.

It does not matter whether you're walking into the Ritz in Paris or the Four Seasons in NYC or into you local pool room in Chicago -- you have no idea (and probably are better off not knowing) what has transpired on the sidewalk you're on. Everything from people hawking goobers, blowing their noses, to dogs pissing, to who knows what. It is not a matter of dirty, dingy, bars.

So unless you have a troop of flower girls preceding you, spreading blossom petals everywhere you walk, you're still on the same shee-at as the rest of us, regardless of what someone is doing on a pool hall carpet to offend your delicate sensibilities.

Lou Figueroa

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see the equivalence. Every time you chalk your cue you get chalk on the table or carpet.

I've never seen anybody chalk their cue with snot.

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To go with the slow play thread. I was sharked pretty good by someone telling me I played to slow.

It was in my head the rest of the set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
You have missed the point entirely.

It does not matter whether you're walking into the Ritz in Paris or the Four Seasons in NYC or into you local pool room in Chicago -- you have no idea (and probably are better off not knowing) what has transpired on the sidewalk you're on. Everything from people hawking goobers, blowing their noses, to dogs pissing, to who knows what. It is not a matter of dirty, dingy, bars.

So unless you have a troop of flower girls preceding you, spreading blossom petals everywhere you walk, you're still on the same shee-at as the rest of us, regardless of what someone is doing on a pool hall carpet to offend your delicate sensibilities.

Lou Figueroa

Thus, in your ridiculous comparison, you'd have no problem with someone wizzing on your shoes while you shoot. Or stepping in fresh puke on the floor. Brilliant reasoning. LOL

If the point is someone does shit that is disgusting and vile in my presence, I will not play them in pool, that you are right. Life's too short to play with cretins. I got better things to do.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thus, in your ridiculous comparison, you'd have no problem with someone wizzing on your shoes while you shoot. Or stepping in fresh puke on the floor. Brilliant reasoning. LOL

If the point is someone does shit that is disgusting and vile in my presence, I will not play them in pool, that you are right. Life's too short to play with cretins. I got better things to do.

In my day I have seen folks throw cigarette butts and ash on the floor of the pool room, vomit, spill blood, drop food, beer, and soft drinks, and not everyone had a decent aiming system for the spittoons in some of the old rooms I'd occasionally play in in Montana.

Still, it's good to know we have at least one dainty snowflake left in the pool world.

Lou Figueroa

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a drunken oaf the other night drop a “chicharone” or mex pork rind on the floor in my local bar, bend down and pick it up and eat that nasty ass thing with gusto....
Like to grossed me out!

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
In my day I have seen folks throw cigarette butts and ash on the floor of the pool room, vomit, spill blood, drop food, beer, and soft drinks, and not everyone had a decent aiming system for the spittoons in some of the old rooms I'd occasionally play in in Montana.

Still, it's good to know we have at least one dainty snowflake left in the pool world.

Lou Figueroa

They didn't do that in my old man's pool room. And anyone that tried had to answer to him or even worse, his other partner Phil Gagliardo aka Race Track Phil.... .not many fuggers would tangle with either. I'm sure there are few folks that remember both of them. They are both gone now.

Dainty snowflake? hmmmm, well, after listening to your fat ass whine at Red Shoes for 30 minutes about your knee problem, I'd say you might be mistaken of who is "dainty". Never seen someone so afraid of minor knee surgery in my life. Military guy you say, huh? Obvious working behind a desk and not in the field, tough guy. LOL

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They didn't do that in my old man's pool room. And anyone that tried had to answer to him or even worse, his other partner Phil Gagliardo aka Race Track Phil.... .not many fuggers would tangle with either. I'm sure there are few folks that remember both of them. They are both gone now.

Dainty snowflake? hmmmm, well, after listening to your fat ass whine at Red Shoes for 30 minutes about your knee problem, I'd say you might be mistaken of who is "dainty". Never seen someone so afraid of minor knee surgery in my life. Military guy you say, huh? Obvious working behind a desk and not in the field, tough guy. LOL

No idea what you're blathering about, snowflake.

Right before that tournament I had read in the BJM that in a recent study, a year after surgery those that had it had the same outcome as those that didn't. So I decided to fade the pain from a badly torn meniscus. Now, a couple years later, I walk without pain and am about to go on a trip and crawl around Machu Picchu.

I'm sure you'd avoid a trip like that just to avoid inadvertently stepping in llama poop.

Lou Figueroa
RJ is so dainty

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
No idea what you're blathering about, snowflake.

Right before that tournament I had read in the BJM that in a recent study, a year after surgery those that had it had the same outcome as those that didn't. So I decided to to fade the pain from a badly torn meniscus. Now, a couple years later, I walk without pain and am about to go on a trip and crawl around Machu Picchu.

I'm sure you'd avoid a trip like that just to avoid inadvertently stepping in llama poop.

Lou Figueroa
RJ is so dainty

Yeah, I know all that, you whined about it for 30 minutes. Afraid of the surgery, what could happen, blah, blah, blah. As if I gave a shit about your knee. But, you kept whining. Poor Lou has a boo boo, won't you feel sorry for me.... awww.

ChicagoRJ
Lou is so whiny and bit of a coward

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the best player in town could cut the nine ball paper thin down the rail from 9 feet away , but never managed to hit the 55 gallon trash can they put right next to the front table so he could chew tobacco and spit in it.
The place was beautiful at one time , when he got done it looked like the La Brea tar pits.

Reactions: KRJ