Cue butt material

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stupid pin question here,. If you have a forearm wood with great tone, which 3/8-10 pin would you use to maintain that sound? I was told that a stainless pin will mute the sound and a g10 would not. Any truth to that?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did the old time master cue makers use straight grain maple almost exclusively?
Were exotic woods too expensive or did they think they were no good?

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cocus wood makes a great cue I know of two one made by Dennis Searing one by Steve Dunkel both play great. Finding a decent piece of Cocus wood is a chore and $$$$&. Pernambuco is also a great playing wood but also difficult to find.
My personal thought is a good tonal wood has attributes to playability. No proof of that just my opinion.

AK-Stick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BBB, Jamaican Cocus Wood was considered the premier wood for bag pipes but was about used up an near impossible to obtain so other woods such as Blackwood and now I believe Mopane are woods of choice.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stupid pin question here,. If you have a forearm wood with great tone, which 3/8-10 pin would you use to maintain that sound? I was told that a stainless pin will mute the sound and a g10 would not. Any truth to that?

Your overthinking things. The joint pin can be used as a final means of getting just the right balance.
Some makers use G10, brass or SS exclusively, if it`s the "best" material or not can be debated forever, but you can infer that a cuemaker that uses only brass pins (like SW) thinks that`s the best pin material.

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your overthinking things. The joint pin can be used as a final means of getting just the right balance.
Some makers use G10, brass or SS exclusively, if it`s the "best" material or not can be debated forever, but you can infer that a cuemaker that uses only brass pins (like SW) thinks that`s the best pin material.

Thanks Kim, I overthink everything

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

That would depend on the weight of the forearm and handle .
You can get an SS 3/8 10 screw that only weighs .8 oz instead of 1.3.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would depend on the weight of the forearm and handle .
You can get an SS 3/8 10 screw that only weighs .8 oz instead of 1.3.

First of the year :) a little confused as to how this addresses not muting the sound.

Mario

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
First of the year :) a little confused as to how this addresses not muting the sound.

Mario

Sorry, I still have a hangover .

Muting the sound ?
Not touching that now.
Gonna stick to weight and balance for now.