Update on the Youth Billiards program @ Sullivan Middle School

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The program is going amazing!! I have 36 students that rotate out during lunch three times a week!I also currently have 7 students that participate in the after school program twice a week. I am able to work with these kids with very detailed instruction for an hour and a half both days. We are already seeing a huge spike in their grades.

This weekend at the Mezz West State stop in Petaluma, Ca, Rodney Morris was kind enough to autograph a DVD for the kids. Next week the kids in the after school portion will be playing a round robin tournament to win the DVD. Rocket has also agreed to come by the school sometime soon to meet with the kids!

After posting the picture of the white board above on Facebook, Chris Robinson was nice enough to contact April Larson to show her that she is already being taught in the classroom. They both agreed to come see the students this summer!

We are currently looking for donations of the following items

Turtle/Magic Racks 4

Pool Cues- We have some for the lunch time crowd, but unfortunately those are the same the after school kids use. Most of the parents are of low income and do not understand the value of getting a decent cue. Right now my kids are stuck playing with cheap Walmart cues. If you have any decent two piece cues, please let me know. We are in need of 7.

Measle Balls- 4

Felt- We have 4 tables. One has Simonis, the other three have the nappy felt from the dealership the table was originally purchased. The Simonis is the youngest at about 4 years old. The other tables are 10 or more years old with original felt. I would like to put Simonis or Championship since this is what the kids will be competing on.

Sorry for the long post, if you have any questions, please call me at 512-350-8223
Thanks,
Steve M. Strange

Classroom.jpg

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised with the shortness of classroom , you were able to obtain a room. Good luck with the program.

doctor2pi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is incredible! Best of luck in advancing the program. I'm a Middle School STEM Director in central CA and would love to chat with you sometime about curriculum and ties into other content areas when you have time.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is incredible! Best of luck in advancing the program. I'm a Middle School STEM Director in central CA and would love to chat with you sometime about curriculum and ties into other content areas when you have time.

Absolutely. Would love to speak to you about it. Give me a call whenever you have time. The number is listed at the bottom of my original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool.

How does a middle school have 4 tables and who are you? Meaning, are you a teacher there?

Great post.

Vivian,
As of now I am not a teacher there. But it is a school that one of my children has already gone through, I have one there, and I have two more that will eventually go there. Honestly, all of the stars aligned just right to make this happen. After having the idea to do this, I met with the principal and within five minutes he gave me my classroom. The four pool tables were all donated. Three of them off of craigslist, and one from a friend. That same friend and I installed all four tables.
I currently attend. Point Loma University and I am pursuing my teaching credentials as well as my masters. Everything I do with the school is completely volunteer, hence the reason for reaching out and asking for supplies for the kids. We have already been blessed in the past with the donations of the tables, several sets of pool balls, and my poster that Chris Santana with fast and loose designs and on the wire media made for us. I even have four more Pool Tables sitting in my garage waiting for another school.

doctor2pi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vivian,
As of now I am not a teacher there. But it is a school that one of my children has already gone through, I have one there, and I have two more that will eventually go there. Honestly, all of the stars aligned just right to make this happen. After having the idea to do this, I met with the principal and within five minutes he gave me my classroom. The four pool tables were all donated. Three of them off of craigslist, and one from a friend. That same friend and I installed all four tables.
I currently attend. Point Loma University and I am pursuing my teaching credentials as well as my masters. Everything I do with the school is completely volunteer, hence the reason for reaching out and asking for supplies for the kids. We have already been blessed in the past with the donations of the tables, several sets of pool balls, and my poster that Chris Santana with fast and loose designs and on the wire media made for us. I even have four more Pool Tables sitting in my garage waiting for another school.

I'm a PLNU alumn! That's a great story and I love the support you're getting. I think it's great that their grades are improving already. Makes it nice for them to have a pursuit they love at school.

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a PLNU alumn! That's a great story and I love the support you're getting. I think it's great that their grades are improving already. Makes it nice for them to have a pursuit they love at school.

PNLU alumni? Awesome. I am at the mission bay campus and really enjoy my instructors. After having gone through a few classes there, I am having run my program at the middle school for the last six months, I have decided to get credentialed for mild/mod. I am looking forward to it. I think one of the things that has made my program work so well is the fact I am not just giving "fly by night" teaching. I have put together a pretty decent curriculum that was built off of my teachings as a recognized PBIA instructor.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Steve -

Great to see your progress pics and updates for us all here on AZB --- sure is nice seeing our efforts actually making a difference in both yours and the students attending - both lives and school experiences!

May I suggest you keep us all posted with updates here and there on this thread so those of us that subscribe to it will see your posts and can chime in with more help and donations perhaps

Great work, sir!!

K.

Last edited:

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely will. I am currently trying to build a website in which there will be many photos. I will keep you guys up-to-date

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
:thumbup2:....You also might consider teaching some one to learn table recovering (have em watch it done next time) and tip maintenance. That could turn into a nice career. Invite a cue maker for another perspective.

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:thumbup2:....You also might consider teaching some one to learn table recovering (have em watch it done next time) and tip maintenance. That could turn into a nice career. Invite a cue maker for another perspective.

That is a great idea! I have already shown several of the students the pictures from when we were putting the tables together, and they seemed really interested in the fact the pool table could be broken down the way it does. I also can give them some tips on the tip maintenance myself, but I just had an idea. I have a friend out here who is a very well-known Cue maker and I believe I may ask him to come by.

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who should we donated to Youthbilliards or School ? Address !

The easiest thing would be to donate straight to Sullivan middle school after school pool program. Once any donations arrive at the school I can send you a thank you letter with their tax ID information on the letter. Sullivan Middle School 7350 W Lilac Rd, Bonsall, CA 92003

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the above info. What really do you need and what is the future of your program do you expect? I know you mention a few donation in your early post/ thread!

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the above info. What really do you need and what is the future of your program do you expect? I know you mention a few donation in your early post/ thread!

For the future of the program, I really want to spread to more schools. I already have the tables for a second school sitting in my garage. In order to do that though I have to be able to turn it into a full-time job. For the students at Sullivan Middle School, I hope to have them at the BF Junior national championship this summer. Right now the cues are the thing needed most. I need seven of them to be able to supply the kids that are actually in the afterschool program.All of the cues we have are pretty bad. The students taking it seriously and getting the full lessons need cues they can use to compete with. The felt is what it is. I have these kids treating the tables right so while it's old it can last.

Vivian Marran

Registered
Vivian,

Love it. I will find a way to make at least a donation.

Teach the little guys straight pool!!

Youthbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love it. I will find a way to make at least a donation.

Teach the little guys straight pool!!

I will absolutely teach them straight pool. I was lucky enough to talk to John Schmidt a few weeks ago and he said he wanted to come by and talk with the kids as well. So they will have a respect for the game a straight pool before he comes out