To those that opted for Pro Cut Pockets

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I will be ordering a 9' Pro-AM later this year to replace my GC 3 that has close to 5" pockets. To those that opted for the pro cut pockets, has your game improved since going with tighter holes? Im just trying to make the decision that will help my game the most. Does anyone regret not getting the league cut pockets?

rtrdriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the pro cut pockets on my table. If you want to improve your game, choose tight pockets but not so tight that it will frustrate you when the balls don't go in when you think you are aiming good.

I think if you choose the pro pockets, you are assured that you are playing on what the pros normally play on. That's good enough for me.

IMO league pockets or anything bigger than 4 1/2" is not going to help your game especially if you're going to play on tighter pockets in your league or local pool hall.

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Pro cut all the way. I originally ordered my Diamond Pro with League cut pockets
"cuz I was sceeered" After thinking about it for a month or so I regretted my decision. I had been in contact with the folks at the Diamond office for weeks off and on so they knew me. One day I decided to call and see if it was to late to change my mind and get the Pro-Cuts and when I asked Arron I could hear several people cheering in the back ground, they were thrilled that I was going the other way:grin:

Yes your game will improve and and no you will never look back. I will say that as the cloth breaks in your table will play tougher but that will teach you plenty also.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be ordering a 9' Pro-AM later this year to replace my GC 3 that has close to 5" pockets. To those that opted for the pro cut pockets, has your game improved since going with tighter holes? Im just trying to make the decision that will help my game the most. Does anyone regret not getting the league cut pockets?
They will help your game, but you'll never know it unless you go play on another table other than your home table!

simplestroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro cut pockets are nothing to be scared of and I wouldn't want anything bigger. I would describe them as fair not tight. They definitely teach you to "miss" on the correct side of the pocket (the Pro side) :)

Hobo

Banned

I have 4 1/2 " pro cut pockets and say definitely go with them. You won't regret it...they play great. I am not a fan of super tight pockets either...I think if they get too tight then it takes away from the game.

Last edited:

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Our 7' Diamond Bar Boxes had the Pro Cut Pockets. 3 years ago before a recover several of the Team Captains, we have 14-18 teams, approached us wanting to tighten the pockets up. We had a meeting and everyone was in agreement. So the pockets are now a tight 4 3/8", they call it "their home field advantage". Brian.

MGM3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pro Cut

Hands down go with the pro cut..... you will not regret it!

Dustin_J

Commence the Jigglin!
Silver Member
My 7' Pro-Am has Pro Cuts and they play great. Someone above mentioned fair, and I think that's a very appropriate term. Basically, you have to hit the ball well, but there's still some wiggle room. I don't really ever play anywhere else, so I don't know if my speed has improved because of it, but I do know that I have to focus more on potting and on getting position because there's less room to cheat pockets than on buckets.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not so tight that it will frustrate you when the balls don't go in when you think you are aiming good.

Thinking you're aiming good when the balls don't go in seems like a significant problem. What mechanism other than frustration do you advocate for dispelling this sort of delusion?

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I bought my table in December of 2007. It's a Diamond Pro 9ft w/4.5" pockets.
My game has improved since getting the table, not sure if it's due to the tighter pockets or just spending more time playing?
I do notice a difference on the rare occasions I play on a table with 5" buckets, feels like I can't miss.
I would highly recommend the tighter pockets.

Hobo

Banned
My 7' Pro-Am has Pro Cuts and they play great. Someone above mentioned fair, and I think that's a very appropriate term. Basically, you have to hit the ball well, but there's still some wiggle room. I don't really ever play anywhere else, so I don't know if my speed has improved because of it, but I do know that I have to focus more on potting and on getting position because there's less room to cheat pockets than on buckets.

Ya the pockets still play true so you can bounce a ball off the rail a diamond from the pocket (pocket speed) and it will drop. You can still cheat the pockets quite a bit.

These are 2 1/4" Cyclop ZEUS TV Edition Pool Balls

Attachments

• IMG_20180213_143431.jpg
    IMG_20180213_143431.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 1,684
  • IMG_20180213_143446.jpg
    IMG_20180213_143446.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 1,317
Last edited:

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go for it, they will teach how to hit the center of the pocket, and/or use pocket speed. It's makes playing position a bit tougher if you need to hit it hard and your aim is off a tad, they will rattle out. Our league 9' tables are tight, I've never measured them, but two balls don't come close to fitting. They look as tight or Hobo's pics above. We hear lots of complaining by folks, but in the end it's equal for all players so you need to adjust your play accordingly.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went from a Gold Crown III to a Diamond Pro Am with pro cut pockets and at first
you will have a little adjustment period but after that you will never notice the difference

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pro cut is a euphemism for tight pockets
just another word for too small

pro cut pockets ake all the fun away

most of us would be better off playing 5 inch corner pockets

only Mike Sigel could play with tight pockets

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member

I have the Diamond Professional table at home & ordered it with the Pro-cut Pockets.

Extremely happy that I did.

I have a GC-III at my office with tight pockets (don't remember the dimensions).

I don't get out much (to Pool Halls), but when I do I like my game.

Glad I went Pro-cut.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
I don't own a Diamond, but played extensively on pro-cut ProAm and own my own table. Here's my $0.02

Get the pro cut.

They aren't ridiculously tight. Someone said "fair" and I would agree. You can still slop a ball in catching the rail a bit.

"Tight" is 4-3/8" ...these play tough.

At first, pro cut Diamond seems very tight and tough compared to slop-buckets found in many pool rooms or consumer grade home tables. This can be a bit demoralizing at first, but that's only because your game has not been properly challenged. It doesn't take long to adjust. Fear not.

Facts, the pros play on 4.5" pockets. This is more and more becoming a standard as it is trickling down to more and more rooms. In the last 20 years or so, I've seen more rooms shimming down their pockets to match. More players are asking for them. New tables are being ordered with them.

The trend is toward smaller pockets, so as time goes on - you will be facing more and more pro-cut pockets. If you have a pro-cut table, you will feel right at home. You are future-proofing. If you go someplace and play on slop-buckets, you will shoot like a champion. Literally everything feels like it can go. You can cheat pockets. Confidence goes up and the stroke really starts flowing.

On the other hand, if you have looser pockets, and you play a league or a tournament on pro-cuts, you will always be making an adjustment every single time. You'll always have the same feeling weighing over you, in the back of your mind. Constantly sharking yourself.

By getting a pro-cut, you're taking charge of your game and playing on the best conditions.

And yes, it will make your game better as IF you want to pocket balls with the same ease - you will need to clean up your stroke and aim technique. That's a good thing.

Frustration is not a factor on pro-cut Diamonds. It is a real factor on smaller than 4.5 inch pocket tables for several reasons. One, the "smaller is better" has a limit. You cannot end up with pyramid table pockets. This changes the game. Being able to cheat a pocket, being able to shoot balls with high speed down the rail and other types of shots are an actual part of the game. Super small pockets begin to eliminate those aspects of the game that should be practiced. So taken to an extreme, there is a limit before it ceases being a familiar type of game.

The other factor is that the vast majority of pockets smaller than 4.5" do not have proper angular adjustments to stay reasonably playable. They often keep the same angle but just reduce the pocket. Worst is when 5" slop-bucket gold crowns are shimmed down to smaller than 4.5" it just becomes a garbage table.

RKC on this forum has talked about this quite a bit. When he reworks a table for 4.5" pockets, he does not shim them down by following the original angle. He changes the pocket angle...which requires decent woodworking skills. This is what makes it tight, but playable.