Matchroom, Rasson Tables, and US Open 9ball

CoreyD

Baller, Shot Caller
Matchroom just inked a 3-year extension of their partnership with Rasson tables. With Matchroom taking over for the US Open, how do you feel about the US Open being played on Rasson tables?

My opinion is one of disappointment. Watching the Mosconi Cup being played on these tables, it's clear they're an inferior table to Diamond. With the huge bucket pockets and shallow shelves, they're great for an entertainment spectacle like the MC, but a prestigious event like the US Open deserves better.

I suppose that's one of the trade-offs of having the US Open survive. I'm glad the US Open continues, but hopefully it doesn't devolve into just a spectacle without prestige.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we all have our own opinions, and mine is they play better than a diamond from watching on the stream. The bouncing off of the rail is a tad slower than a Diamond and more like a GC, the way it should be. The pockets are cut right. I’ve personally not played on one, this is just my opinion from watching streams.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I kind of like the GCV look-a-likes they are using at the World 9-Ball in Qatar. Maybe with a little tighter pockets they would be great tables.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kind of like the GCV look-a-likes they are using at the World 9-Ball in Qatar. Maybe with a little tighter pockets they would be great tables.

Do all the Rasson tables used at these events have the bigger pockets? Maybe somebody should suggest they tighten them, but as we all know, that won't make for good TV. :p

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom just inked a 3-year extension of their partnership with Rasson tables. With Matchroom taking over for the US Open, how do you feel about the US Open being played on Rasson tables?

My opinion is one of disappointment. Watching the Mosconi Cup being played on these tables, it's clear they're an inferior table to Diamond. With the huge bucket pockets and shallow shelves, they're great for an entertainment spectacle like the MC, but a prestigious event like the US Open deserves better.

I suppose that's one of the trade-offs of having the US Open survive. I'm glad the US Open continues, but hopefully it doesn't devolve into just a spectacle without prestige.

I don't think it is clear they are inferior to Diamond at all. In fact, I rally don't like diamonds and am glad the pendulum is swinging back so that more tables are being used in tourneys.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A pro cut diamond is tighter than a triple shimmed GC table setup for one pocket. How that became the standard table for 9 ball is nuts.

Match room has it right going with a table with bigger pockets and proper rail bounce.

Long live match room. Long live rasson. And maybe with pool seeming to pick up globally the past couple of years, Brunswick will wishfully enter back into the tournament scene.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Tighten them up some and I think it would play perfectly fine. Pockets are waaaaaay to generous in the Mosconi.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have not seen an announcement of table sponsor for the US Open 9-Ball and none is listed on the website.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not seen an announcement of table sponsor for the US Open 9-Ball and none is listed on the website.

Right, it was implied but not quite stated outright in the press release.

December 14, 2018
MATCHROOM MULTI SPORT AND RASSON BILLIARDS EXTEND PARTNERSHIP
Matchroom Multi Sport can announce that RASSON BILLIARDS of Jiujiang City, China have inked a new three-year agreement that sees them continue their outstanding work as Official Table Supplier for Matchroom Pool’s prestigious international events. Rasson first started working with Matchroom Pool in 2016 and over the following three years, their Victory II table has garnered acclaim around the world for its quality, playability and stylish good looks.

With the World Pool Masters set for Gibraltar in March, and the partypoker Mosconi Cup returning to Mandalay Bay Resort, Las Vegas in December 2019, Rasson’s tables will continue to be seen on pool’s global stage over the next three years.

Commented Junny Song, General Manager of RASSON BILLIARDS, “We’re delighted to renew the contract with Matchroom. We’re so happy for the cooperation in past three years which was a great success!

“Matchroom did fantastic job on holding all the events and they bring the sport to a new level. Matchroom are synonymous with top-quality events, more and more people all over the world know Rasson and Rasson products through Matchroom events. They’ll know eventually that Rasson is also a synonym for top-quality products.

“It’s our belief to build truly great billiard products that combine both a unique look and top quality.
There’s no doubt we’ll continue working with Matchroom to support the sport. We look forward to closer cooperation with Matchroom on more programs in the future!”

Emily Frazer, COO of Matchroom Multi Sport said, “We are delighted to be continuing our relationship with RASSON across our Matchroom Pool events. Their Victory II table has proven a huge success and we are very much looking forward to building our relationship in the future.

“RASSON produce the highest-quality tables, as evidenced by the quality of play witnessed at Matchroom Pool events including the recent Mosconi Cup, which was one of the best ever. We continue to strive to ensure Matchroom Pool events are the best in the industry in every way and the quality and style of RASSON’s tables are a perfect fit for our events.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are Wiraka tables. A buddy played on these in Thailand and was quite impressed with their quality. http://store.wiraka.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=136&product_id=473

Build quality is one thing, having a ball hit a diamond or 1.5 diamonds from the pocket and still go in is a crime. They can make them out of platinum with a single diamond bed using cashmere for the cloth and level it using shims made up of honus wagner baseball cards and it will still play badly till that is fixed.

If the bank and are as solid as a GC table, they would be good tables, but the ones they used at the MC was for children.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Build quality is one thing, having a ball hit a diamond or 1.5 diamonds from the pocket and still go in is a crime. They can make them out of platinum with a single diamond bed using cashmere for the cloth and level it using shims made up of honus wagner baseball cards and it will still play badly till that is fixed.

If the bank and are as solid as a GC table, they would be good tables, but the ones they used at the MC was for children.
For the record i've seen the freshly covered Diamonds at DCC play the same way. You put shiny new 860 on and watch the ball slide in. Simonis needs to figure out how to "de-slick" their cloth after its woven/shaved/dyed so when installed it basically is pre-worn to a degree. Big ask? Probably.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the record i've seen the freshly covered Diamonds at DCC play the same way. You put shiny new 860 on and watch the ball slide in. Simonis needs to figure out how to "de-slick" their cloth after its woven/shaved/dyed so when installed it basically is pre-worn to a degree. Big ask? Probably.

For the record, I've played in the DCC going back to the EW days.

I have stacks and stacks of tapes and DVDs from the DCC. And I have never seen a Diamond at that event play the way the Rasson at the MC played.

Lou Figueroa

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the record, I've played in the DCC going back to the EW days.

I have stacks and stacks of tapes and DVDs from the DCC. And I have never seen a Diamond at that event play the way the Rasson at the MC played.

Lou Figueroa
In '07 i saw shots on both the t.v. table and one in "the pit" area go in from waaaaaay up the rail. I know what i saw. By second or third day those weren't going in any more. I don't what to say about Rasson other than MR has a long-term deal with them so they're not going anywhere. Really wish US Open would use Diamonds but i doubt that happens.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In '07 i saw shots on both the t.v. table and one in "the pit" area go in from waaaaaay up the rail. I know what i saw. By second or third day those weren't going in any more. I don't what to say about Rasson other than MR has a long-term deal with them so they're not going anywhere. Really wish US Open would use Diamonds but i doubt that happens.

I'm not saying that the Diamonds don't play looser with new cloth.

Sure a ball can slide in on a Diamond. But my point was that it has never been as bad as with the MC table this year. And with the newer Diamonds at the DCC in recent years they play pretty tough and you see guys suffering all over the tournament room, who are used to playing on looser equipment. I play at a PH with Diamonds and they were all recovered with Simonis just a couple of months ago and they still played tough.

I agree that it'd be preferably for the Open to be played on Diamonds but MR has their deal. One can only hope the table this year was an anomaly,

Lou Figueroa

MGM3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"u.s. Open"

For me it is less about playability of the table and more about not using a U.S. based company for the U.S. Open championship. In my opinion the gold standard is Diamond and they should be used for the U.S. Open.