Predator Shafts

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are the differences in the original 314 (no cat) and the 314 cat shaft. I know the ferrules are a little longer on the original, are they made differently? Which ferrule is supposed to be better? Are there differences on the inside? Does anyone know what the ferrule material on the original is? Thanks in advance.

i8ap4t

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC, the ferrule material was changed due to the old ferrules warping due to heat.

Not sure if this has helped a lot, since the newer predators seem to crack a hell or a lot more than the old ones.

Anyone feel free to correct me if you know better. Above is based of anecdotal evidence, and personal experience.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC, the ferrule material was changed due to the old ferrules warping due to heat.

Not sure if this has helped a lot, since the newer predators seem to crack a hell or a lot more than the old ones.

Anyone feel free to correct me if you know better. Above is based of anecdotal evidence, and personal experience.

A friend of mine split his ferrule on his predator. Dont think it was a defect. He let the tip wear down way too much.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine split his ferrule on his predator. Dont think it was a defect. He let the tip wear down way too much.

I always wondered what it would take to do that. Since the Kamui black tips get harder the more they age, I have about two and a half layers left on a Kamui black soft, and it's hard as a rock. But I love the action on the cue ball I can get out of it. However, every now and then I'll hit a shot and although the stroke was good, and everything went as planned, it sounds lik like an impact on the ferrul. Almost like a break cue.

How many layers is too low where the ferul would be damaged?

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
No diff IMO

I've had a bunch of each and I can't tell u there's any difference. The ferules have a pad glued to the end of it. I was told that if you remove it, the ferule will crack. It's part of the integrity of the ferule. SOME very early pre-cats had less splices but most were same as cat. Pre cat does seem to have darker wood...could be age too though. They play the Same.

Maybe a cue repair person with some experience will chime in with more info.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always wondered what it would take to do that. Since the Kamui black tips get harder the more they age, I have about two and a half layers left on a Kamui black soft, and it's hard as a rock. But I love the action on the cue ball I can get out of it. However, every now and then I'll hit a shot and although the stroke was good, and everything went as planned, it sounds lik like an impact on the ferrul. Almost like a break cue.

No layers...He prefered lepro. To each his own. But it was very thin on the edge. If it was a layered tip, I would say 1 to 1 1/2 layers on the edge. It was down there pretty good! I would have replaced it long before he cracked his ferrule.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
"What are the differences in the original 314 (no cat) and the 314 cat shaft?"

The only difference btwn the two is the decal. Nothing else changed.
Both shafts are the same construction and the ferrule mtrl. is also the same; Isoplast.

"Are there differences on the inside?"

No, the construction and mtrls used are exactly the same.
Again, the only difference btwn the 'CAT' shaft & 'pre-CAT' shaft is the decal.
I have doubts that the different decal would make the shaft play any differently.

HTHs, KJ

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"What are the differences in the original 314 (no cat) and the 314 cat shaft?"

The only difference btwn the two is the decal. Nothing else changed.
Both shafts are the same construction and the ferrule mtrl. is also the same; Isoplast.

"Are there differences on the inside?"

No, the construction and mtrls used are exactly the same.
Again, the only difference btwn the 'CAT' shaft & 'pre-CAT' shaft is the decal.
I have doubts that the different decal would make the shaft play any differently.

HTHs, KJ

Well, how come the ferrule is longer on the precat?

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
You may be comparing the ferrules of the Gen1 shafts to the Gen2 shafts.
Those ferrules are totally different. One is Isoplast, the other is Maxlite.
Or,
you may be comparing two Gen1 shafts that have been out in the world for a while.
In the process of replacing a tip, some installers will take a light cut on the face
of the ferrule to true/flatten the surface. Do it enough times and the ferrule gets shorter.
Not a great concern as the cap on the ferrule is 1/4" thick.
The ferrule length on all Gen1 shafts is exactly the same when the shafts are brand-new.

HTHs, KJ

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your talking about the 10 splice Pre-cat compared to the 10 splice
cat, then there's no difference except for the decal that was added
for advertising there shafts better on TV especially.
Just the 314 was hard to see.
One thing they did improve on with the when they started adding the cat
was the more consistent diameter near the bottom of the shaft.
I've noticed on a few of the just 314 shafts that some seemed to be a
hair smaller when connected to the butt.
I think they refined the consistency when adding the cat but the
construction and materials are exactly the same including ferrule length.
Some of the very beginning Preds had a longer ferrule but had 12 splices.
You have to be careful though, I've seen a few old preds for sale on here
that have a long ferrule on a 10 splice which to me represents that they've been changed
and altered which is no longer the real deal.Goodluck

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I thought KJ would see this one. His ears must vibrate when someone types, "Predator Shaft", in the Main Forum.

I should have been able to answer this one for you as its not like I haven't asked KJ the same question at least ten times now.

I keep forgetting the answer. OAM. Old Age Memory.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I know I plug this tip a lot on here, but try the Ki-Tech Soft tips. What a real "soft" tip should play like. I played with a few Kamui Black Soft tips and felt the same way as you, they hardened up quite a bit from soft. The Ki-Tech softs start very soft and a few weeks later turn into just a nice medium soft tip. I had another post on here where I used on for 4 games of 9 ball without chalking.