Is there any buyer protection when sending a bank check for a pool cue?

Okay, so there is this cue I really want to buy, but the only form of payment the seller is willing to accept is a Certified Check.

I just opened up a local bank account here in town, just for the purpose of mailing this person a Certified Check.

My concern is that I am worried that there is no buyer protection in mailing off a certified check.

For some reason, the seller is unwilling to accept any other form of payment (unwilling to accept paypal, money order, or any other form of payment).

If I were to get ripped off, and the seller cashed the check, and did not send me the cue, then what could I do?

I assume there would be no way of getting my money back.

This only worries me, because the seller has a very low itrader feedback on here (with only feedback from 1 buyer, the last time I checked).

So, is there any buyer protection with mailing a Certified Check?

Please stick to the topic that I am asking about, and do not go off topic.

Thanks.

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No buyer protection when sending a check, I'd stay away from that deal unless the seller has a long track record of good dealings here, which doesn't sound like is the case.

No buyer protection when sending a check, I'd stay away from that deal unless the seller has a long track record of good dealings here, which doesn't sound like is the case.

Thanks. This is what I was worried about. At least with a USPS money order there is something a buyer can do (file a fraud report with the postal inspector), but the seller was not willing to accept a USPS money order. Sad to have to pass on such a nice offer, but seller is being very unreasonable. I will just keep looking, because I can't afford to take any risks.

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All I have for you is an opinion. Here it is; if the seller wants to make it difficult for an interested party to buy the cue from him, he will insist on bank check only. Very risky proposition for the buyer. If you have all of his contact information and can verify it, you could take legal action if he screws you. That would be a nightmare for you so I do not consider that buyer protection. No F'n Way I would buy a cue on those terms. Tell him to open a paypal account or no deal. That is how internet commerce is conducted. You can always negotiate who pays the fee or split it. I have only one guy that I trust enough to send a check and he sends the cue at the same time. He has stood behind his word and proven trustworthy to me as I have to him. Without a relationship like that, no deal.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when the offer is really good but the only form of payment accepted is one that offer no protection then it's usually a sign of someone trying to scam you in my oppinion.

You have a solid trader rating, if he's legit and really needs a certified check for some reason then he should send you the cue first and you'll pay after receiving it. Then h gets his payment in the form he wants and you can be sure you're getting the cue.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not big deal, just escrow the deal. A third party will make sure everyone gets what they get and the deal is free to happen. If there is an issue on either end, the person returns either the money or cue to the rightful owner.

All I have for you is an opinion. Here it is; if the seller wants to make it difficult for an interested party to buy the cue from him, he will insist on bank check only. Very risky proposition for the buyer. If you have all of his contact information and can verify it, you could take legal action if he screws you. That would be a nightmare for you so I do not consider that buyer protection. No F'n Way I would buy a cue on those terms. Tell him to open a paypal account or no deal. That is how internet commerce is conducted. You can always negotiate who pays the fee or split it. I have only one guy that I trust enough to send a check and he sends the cue at the same time. He has stood behind his word and proven trustworthy to me as I have to him. Without a relationship like that, no deal.

Yeah, and the thing that really worries me is that I think that the seller probably does have a paypal account. I see that he has received a feedback from a seller in Taipei City(Taiwan). Maybe that deal was done by bank wire transfer, but this just makes me think that he does have a paypal account. I guess I have found my answer though. There is no buyer protection to be had by mailing a Certified Check, and I am just too poor to take that risk (no matter how good the deal is).

Thanks for your replies.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not big deal, just escrow the deal. A third party will make sure everyone gets what they get and the deal is free to happen. If there is an issue on either end, the person returns either the money or cue to the rightful owner.

Ditto.

Easy enough. No need for all the drama.

Moet.1977

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
?

Please tell us who this person is you made it sound like their a member here of AZ
I no many of us would like to know who this person is. It sounds pretty shady to me

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You have zero protection if you mail a check.

I would get references, or look for other feedback other than Itrader. Maybe Ebay feedbacks. If he has over 1,000 positive feedback on ebay, he might be okay.

I would make sure I have a the correct phone number and be sure the address is a real address. Escrow would be the best bet if it's for an expensive cue.

For a one hundred dollar cue, I would not bother with escrow.

Newsheriffintwn

Newsheriff Custom Cues
Silver Member
It's not a good deal if either party gets screwed over.

If the person is unwilling to send the cue first and then receive payment, I wouldn't even consider doing it....period! (in the situation you described)

There are plenty of actual good deals out there...keep looking.

BigNBeefY

Just Stopping By
Silver Member
you can request what is called a "stop pay" on the check so long as it has not been cashed yet. so the order of business needs to be....he confirms the shipping/tracking number of the package before you send the check. if he insists on receiving the check before shipping the cue then do not send a check and do not buy the cue. your rep on here is stellar enough to warrant some good will...I would count on your reputation to be good enough to make it work. if he does not want to ship the cue before the certified check is received and if he is unwilling to open a paypal acct or accept a money order at that point I would give up on that cue.

j_zippel

Big Tuna
Silver Member
Do not send a bank draft! There's no reason he can't accept a payment that gives you protection from being ripped off. Post the user who is selling this cue, maybe one of us can help out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Find a middle man.

Okay, so there is this cue I really want to buy, but the only form of payment the seller is willing to accept is a Certified Check.

Please stick to the topic that I am asking about, and do not go off topic.

Thanks.

Have him send the cue to a trusted broker and send the check to the same person. It might cost a few extra bucks to get someone to do this but that way both parties are protected.

Is there a Pool hall in his area or yours with a good national reputation? If so maybe the owner would be willing to work as a go between?

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what escrow is as mentioned above. I have done it a few times for a friend and it didn't cost a dime.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will do the escrow for you for free if that will help get the deal done.

removing risk when dealing online is mighty important.

let me know if I can assist.

gl

best,
brian kc

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If he insists upon a check, then you need a 3rd party escrow........otherwise you are naked.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as Robert De Niro once said in a spy movie about dangerous situations, " it there is any doubt, there is no doubt"
walk away, it smells.

Please tell us who this person is you made it sound like their a member here of AZ
I no many of us would like to know who this person is. It sounds pretty shady to me

I do not think there is good reason to name the person, because it does not appear that he has ripped anyone off yet. He does have 1 good feedback from a buyer, and 4 good feedbacks from sellers. There is no reason for me to think that he is dishonest , other then the fact that he insists on a certified check (and will not budge on any other form of payment). I even offered to wire him the money through Western Union or money gram, and he would not do either of those methods. A smart scammer would love to receive a Western Union wire transfer I assume. It is only a $150, but that is actually a lot of money to me.