Hal Houle, not an aiming thread

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
“When you’re one step ahead of the crowd you’re a genius. When you’re two steps ahead, you’re a crackpot.”

It occurred to me the newer members might not know who Hal Houle was. Fortunately some of his writings have survived his life, brought to you by the internet. When I first started on the various forums nearly 20 years ago, there was an old guy who wrote the craziest stuff and asked people to call him on the phone. He wanted to talk to anybody. He would have you put balls at certain places and tell you how to aim them. In my (often bull headed) mind, I put him in the "lovable crackpot" category. Boy, was I wrong.

The world has caught up to Hal's radical (at the time) ideas. As far as I know, he was the father of Center to Edge aim systems. Maybe Hal had a million different systems but that doesn't matter. What matters is Hal's concept caught on and survived him. Ultimately, reflecting back, that probably was his goal.

Here's a post I lifted that someone saved, but I remember this one well.

There are only 3 angles for any shot, on any size table. This includes; caroms, single rail banks, double rail banks, 1, 2, 3, and 4 rail banks, and double kiss banks. Any table has a 2 to 1 ratio; 3 1/2 x 7, 4 x 8, 4 x 9, 5 x 10, 6 x 12. It is always twice as long as it is wide. The table corners are 90 degree angles. When you lay a cue from the side pocket to the corner pocket, you are forming an angle of 45°. When you lay a cue from the side pocket to the middle diamond on the same end rail, you are forming an angle of 30°. When you lay a cue from the side pocket to the first diamond on the same end rail, you are forming an angle of 15°. When you add up these 3 angles, they total 90°, which is the same angle formed by the table corners. The cue ball relation to object ball relation shot angle is always 15, 30, or 45°. The solution is very simple. There are only 2 edges on the cue ball to aim with, and they are always exactly in the same place on the cue ball. There are only 3 exact spots on the object ball to aim to, and they are always exactly in the same place on the object ball. So, 2 edges on the cue ball, and 3 spots on the object ball; 2 x 3 = 6 which is the total number of table pockets. This means that, depending upon how the cue ball and object ball lie in relation to one another, you may either pocket the object ball directly into a pocket or bank it into any one of the remaining 5 pockets. Of course, the reverse is true. If the relationship of cue ball to object ball can only be a bank, so be it. There is never a need to look at a pocket or cushion while lining up the edge on the cue ball to the spot on the object ball. You have only those 3 angles Your only requirement is to recognize whether your shot is a 15, 30, or 45° angle. Recognizing those 3 angles can be accomplished in an instant by aiming the edge of the cue ball to one of the spots on the object ball. It will be obvious which object ball spot is correct. There will be no doubt. Any time either one of the 2 edges on the cue ball is aimed at any one of the 3 spots on the object ball, that object ball must go to a pocket. Choose the correct spot and the object ball will most certainly go to the chosen pocket. The top professional players in the game have always known about this professional aiming system, but they are a closed fraternity, and you are the enemy. Interested in where those spots are located?

The 2 places on the cue ball are the left edge of the cue ball when you are cutting the object ball to the left; and the right edge of the cue ball when you are cutting the object ball to the right. The 3 spots on the object ball are the quarters, and the center. The quarters and center of the object ball face straight at the edges of your cue ball, not facing toward the pocket. In other words, if you were on a work-bench at home, there would be no pocket, so you would just line up the edge of the cue ball straight to your target on the object ball. When you cut to the left for 15°, aim the left cue ball edge at the object ball left quarter. When you cut to the left for 30°, aim the cue ball left edge at the object ball center. When you cut to the left for 45°, aim the cue ball left edge at the object ball right quarter. When you cut to the right for 15°, you aim the cue ball right edge at the object ball right quarter. When you cut to the right for 30°, you aim the cue ball right edge at the object center. When you cut to the right for 45°, you aim the right cue ball edge to the object ball left quarter. If you’ll just get down and aim your old way, you’ll be close to where you should be aiming. Look to see (without changing your head or eye position) just where the cue ball edge is aiming at the object ball. You’ll see that on every shot that the cue ball edge is always aiming at the same targets on the object ball. Remember, this system is for any shot on the table; banks, caroms, combinations, and so forth. The only shot remaining is the extreme cut for any shot over 45°. Aim the cue ball edge to the eighth of the object ball (which is half of the quarter). Don’t let the pocket influence you. Have a friend hold the ball tray between the object ball and the pocket, so you cannot see the pocket, and you’ll see that those 3 angles will handle just about anything. Of course, you would have chosen the 15, 30, or 45° angle before your friend put the ball tray in place. It also makes it much more interesting if you don’t tell your friend how you are pocketing the ball without seeing the pocket. Have some fun. For any questions, call me.

Regards,

Hal Houle[/COLOR]

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“When you’re one step ahead of the crowd you’re a genius. When you’re two steps ahead, you’re a crackpot.”

It occurred to me the newer members might not know who Hal Houle was. Fortunately some of his writings have survived his life, brought to you by the internet. When I first started on the various forums nearly 20 years ago, there was an old guy who wrote the craziest stuff and asked people to call him on the phone. He wanted to talk to anybody. He would have you put balls at certain places and tell you how to aim them. In my (often bull headed) mind, I put him in the "lovable crackpot" category. Boy, was I wrong.

The world has caught up to Hal's radical (at the time) ideas. As far as I know, he was the father of Center to Edge aim systems. Maybe Hal had a million different systems but that doesn't matter. What matters is Hal's concept caught on and survived him. Ultimately, reflecting back, that probably was his goal.

Here's a post I lifted that someone saved, but I remember this one well.

There are only 3 angles for any shot, on any size table. This includes; caroms, single rail banks, double rail banks, 1, 2, 3, and 4 rail banks, and double kiss banks. Any table has a 2 to 1 ratio; 3 1/2 x 7, 4 x 8, 4 x 9, 5 x 10, 6 x 12. It is always twice as long as it is wide. The table corners are 90 degree angles. When you lay a cue from the side pocket to the corner pocket, you are forming an angle of 45°. When you lay a cue from the side pocket to the middle diamond on the same end rail, you are forming an angle of 30°. When you lay a cue from the side pocket to the first diamond on the same end rail, you are forming an angle of 15°. When you add up these 3 angles, they total 90°, which is the same angle formed by the table corners. The cue ball relation to object ball relation shot angle is always 15, 30, or 45°. The solution is very simple. There are only 2 edges on the cue ball to aim with, and they are always exactly in the same place on the cue ball. There are only 3 exact spots on the object ball to aim to, and they are always exactly in the same place on the object ball. So, 2 edges on the cue ball, and 3 spots on the object ball; 2 x 3 = 6 which is the total number of table pockets. This means that, depending upon how the cue ball and object ball lie in relation to one another, you may either pocket the object ball directly into a pocket or bank it into any one of the remaining 5 pockets. Of course, the reverse is true. If the relationship of cue ball to object ball can only be a bank, so be it. There is never a need to look at a pocket or cushion while lining up the edge on the cue ball to the spot on the object ball. You have only those 3 angles Your only requirement is to recognize whether your shot is a 15, 30, or 45° angle. Recognizing those 3 angles can be accomplished in an instant by aiming the edge of the cue ball to one of the spots on the object ball. It will be obvious which object ball spot is correct. There will be no doubt. Any time either one of the 2 edges on the cue ball is aimed at any one of the 3 spots on the object ball, that object ball must go to a pocket. Choose the correct spot and the object ball will most certainly go to the chosen pocket. The top professional players in the game have always known about this professional aiming system, but they are a closed fraternity, and you are the enemy. Interested in where those spots are located?

The 2 places on the cue ball are the left edge of the cue ball when you are cutting the object ball to the left; and the right edge of the cue ball when you are cutting the object ball to the right. The 3 spots on the object ball are the quarters, and the center. The quarters and center of the object ball face straight at the edges of your cue ball, not facing toward the pocket. In other words, if you were on a work-bench at home, there would be no pocket, so you would just line up the edge of the cue ball straight to your target on the object ball. When you cut to the left for 15°, aim the left cue ball edge at the object ball left quarter. When you cut to the left for 30°, aim the cue ball left edge at the object ball center. When you cut to the left for 45°, aim the cue ball left edge at the object ball right quarter. When you cut to the right for 15°, you aim the cue ball right edge at the object ball right quarter. When you cut to the right for 30°, you aim the cue ball right edge at the object center. When you cut to the right for 45°, you aim the right cue ball edge to the object ball left quarter. If you’ll just get down and aim your old way, you’ll be close to where you should be aiming. Look to see (without changing your head or eye position) just where the cue ball edge is aiming at the object ball. You’ll see that on every shot that the cue ball edge is always aiming at the same targets on the object ball. Remember, this system is for any shot on the table; banks, caroms, combinations, and so forth. The only shot remaining is the extreme cut for any shot over 45°. Aim the cue ball edge to the eighth of the object ball (which is half of the quarter). Don’t let the pocket influence you. Have a friend hold the ball tray between the object ball and the pocket, so you cannot see the pocket, and you’ll see that those 3 angles will handle just about anything. Of course, you would have chosen the 15, 30, or 45° angle before your friend put the ball tray in place. It also makes it much more interesting if you don’t tell your friend how you are pocketing the ball without seeing the pocket. Have some fun. For any questions, call me.

Regards,

Hal Houle[/COLOR]

Great post, Chris. Hope all is well with you. It's been a long time.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I put him in the "lovable crackpot" category. Boy, was I wrong.
Funny you'd share that post and say that - it's the post that put him firmly in the crackpot category for me. (Numerology? :eek:)

I agree he was lovable. And he could play pretty well, I hear.

pj
chgo

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I agree he was lovable. And he could play pretty well, I hear.

pj
chgo

No kidding? That would have been cool to play with him. I tried to get together with him several times but he wasn't well for traveling.

You know who did contact me? Fast Larry. He came into town for a film shoot and wanted to get together to play pool. I was shocked - we have never communicated directly. I turned him down because I had no idea why he wanted to get together with me and I would not go out of my way to associate with somebody like that.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Great post, Chris. Hope all is well with you. It's been a long time.

It is Matt. I remember we talked a couple of times about your retirement. We relocated to the central coast of California in a golf course community in a new house. I'm working out of virtual offices and golfing a lot but nothing about the idea of retirement excites me, so I have decided to keep my business going. I'm just dabbling in pool and sold much of my collection.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My big regret with Hal is not going to meet him in person. I spent hours on the phone with him, and at one point he actually called me, which is quite bizarre considering it would have been a long distance call, and cell phones weren't really a widespread thing at the time.

I firmly believe that I wouldn't have been the player I am without Hal Houle's craziness.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
I found Hal on RSB. At first, I was a skeptic too. Eventually, I asked some Houlegans on CCB (Fred?) and decided to give him a call. I wound up having a bunch of calls with him and had several "call me when you are at a Pool table" lessons. I'm glad I did.

On a side note (Chris Tate), I'd love to hear your thoughts about retirement? I'm at the point where I'm trying to decide if I want to retire in a few years or work in a part time/reduced work load capacity for a while longer?

Eric

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Me too. I don't remember much of the conversation (it was 20+ years ago), but I remember he was very nice, even though I was one of those arguing against the "logic" of his 3-angle system.

pj
chgo

Hal had a list of forum CTE naysayers that he would kindly suggest that others ignore. Your's was one of the names that would get mentioned (sorry).

Eric

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I talked to Drivermaker on the phone. He was one of the true characters of the internet - and a very early convert to fractional aiming. I wonder how he's doing? He had me set up some shots and told me where to aim. I made a bunch of shots like clockwork, but never adopted the system. With all the spin I use, I did not really have faith that I could adjust to it.

I did speak to Hal on the phone but it was just trying to get together with him - didn't work out.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I found Hal on RSB. At first, I was a skeptic too. Eventually, I asked some Houlegans on CCB (Fred?) and decided to give him a call. I wound up having a bunch of calls with him and had several "call me when you are at a Pool table" lessons. I'm glad I did.

On a side note (Chris Tate), I'd love to hear your thoughts about retirement? I'm at the point where I'm trying to decide if I want to retire in a few years or work in a part time/reduced work load capacity for a while longer?

Eric

I know you've been doing very well and that's great you're in a position to consider retirement at your relatively young age. If you google about people who un-retire, you'll see that it's not for everybody and it's often not due to finances. A lot of people go back to work in a year or two out of boredom and a desire to do gratifying work. Some make serious financial miscalculations and quickly realize they don't have the resources for their lifestyle.

Nothing about retirement excites me and everything about my business excites me. I need the stimulation of deal making, taking on exciting projects and making them successful. I like my business relationships as well. Most in our community and region are retired. Some have very active lives and those are the successful retirees in my opinion. They have a purpose and a goal. Some organize activity groups like golf, tennis, pickleball, art groups etc. I have two friends who have APA teams and another who leads golf tours.

For me I've owned my business for 35 years. If I make the leap to quit, there's no going back. Instead, I am altering my business to spend less of my personal time, but I will still be active. I only work a few hours a day now and I am really happy with it. The financial gains are just a bonus. Being mobile is huge. We put our business on the cloud and I just picked up and activated a 4G LTE laptop. I'm moving my files to a cloud server so I can easily and quickly access them from anywhere.

One thing for sure, after marriage and career, it is one of those really major decisions. I hope you recognize the privilege you have earned - many don't have that choice and it's highly personal one. I would say take your time, look deep within, shut out any of the outside influences or opinions you can, and make your own decision. We are often pushed and pulled by family and associates but this is your decision to make.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Hal had a list of forum CTE naysayers that he would kindly suggest that others ignore. Your's was one of the names that would get mentioned (sorry).
No need to be sorry - the fact we disagreed was/is well known. And again, it wasn't about whether or no his system(s) "worked" - it was (and always has been) about how they worked. The numerology nonsense above was his take on it.

pj
chgo

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Eric

Hi,
Just an unsolicited view.... it depends entirely on your own personality IMO. I have found (ended phase 3 in life last year-over 60 club) that it is really nice to not have to plan around 'work' for any of those trips, or things you used to have to plan way ahead to be able to set the time aside.

On the other side, I have found that there is still a huge need to feel productive... so personally, I have left the door open on phase 2 of my life's work to be able to get back the parts of being and feeling productive that I miss and/or have an obligation toward.

It hasn't been quite a year yet for me, so I'm still enjoying all the freedom, but I feel the other side calling me. Get your finances set up so you can go either way, or both.

td

P.s. People like Hal, are few and far between... many are here on AZB! Enjoy them while they are here... I wish I could have met the man.

Last edited:

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How Does It Work?

Perhaps I just don't understand it; but is he saying that regardless of the position of the balls on the table, that there are only these 6 discrete aiming points necessary to put the object ball in a pocket? On its face that is contradictory to simple geometry. How can it be?

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Perhaps I just don't understand it; but is he saying that regardless of the position of the balls on the table, that there are only these 6 discrete aiming points necessary to put the object ball in a pocket? On its face that is contradictory to simple geometry. How can it be?

Yes. Actually, 8 points (to include the very thin cut shot).

Eric

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Nothing about retirement excites me and everything about my business excites me. I need the stimulation of deal making, taking on exciting projects and making them successful. I like my business relationships as well. Most in our community and region are retired. Some have very active lives and those are the successful retirees in my opinion. They have a purpose and a goal. Some organize activity groups like golf, tennis, pickleball, art groups etc. I have two friends who have APA teams and another who leads golf tours.

For me I've owned my business for 35 years. If I make the leap to quit, there's no going back. Instead, I am altering my business to spend less of my personal time, but I will still be active. I only work a few hours a day now and I am really happy with it. The financial gains are just a bonus. Being mobile is huge. We put our business on the cloud and I just picked up and activated a 4G LTE laptop. I'm moving my files to a cloud server so I can easily and quickly access them from anywhere.

One thing for sure, after marriage and career, it is one of those really major decisions. I hope you recognize the privilege you have earned - many don't have that choice and it's highly personal one. I would say take your time, look deep within, shut out any of the outside influences or opinions you can, and make your own decision. We are often pushed and pulled by family and associates but this is your decision to make.

Hi,
Just an unsolicited view.... it depends entirely on your own personality IMO. I have found (ended phase 3 in life last year-over 60 club) that it is really nice to not have to plan around 'work' for any of those trips, or things you used to have to plan way ahead to be able to set the time aside.

On the other side, I have found that there is still a huge need to feel productive... so personally, I have left the door open on phase 2 of my life's work to be able to get back the parts of being and feeling productive that I miss and/or have an obligation toward.

It hasn't been quite a year yet for me, so I'm still enjoying all the freedom, but I feel the other side calling me. Get your finances set up so you can go either way, or both.

td

Thank you both, for weighing in. Great insight. I've always taken advice from ppl I respect and are just a little ahead of you, on the trail. Apologies to the forum, for being off topic.

Eric

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Thanks Chris.

One of my big regrets is not calling Hal. Years ago Bill (Drivermaker) tried very hard to convince me to call Hal .... but I put that call off too long :(

Eric, all the best on your journey :thumbup:

Dave