Can Earl ever win it again?????????

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl wasn't particulary impressive at the US Open Warm-up last weekend. Of course it could be tough to turn it on for a warm-up.

Andy

JustPlay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy-D said:
> Earl certainly HAS won a signifigant tournament playing on Diamonds,the 1994 PBT World 9-Ball,beating Efren 9-2 or 9-3 in the live televised finals. I don't see how playing on a Diamond would affect him negatively,the table he used to have set up in the poolroom in Greensboro was a Diamond with obscenely tight pockets. Oddly enough,he said when I asked him that to him the perfect table would be an original Gold Crown I with 4" pockets.

> I'm CERTAIN that he is still capable of winning this or any other tournament. What concerns me is whether his mind will stay together long enough for him to do it physically. Tommy D.

I was just point out a trival tidbit about diamond tables vs stickland wins on them (now the main table in most events). Thanks for point out the 1994 event. It would be a dismal event (for most of the players) if Earl can keep his focus and concentration on playing his best. Earl needs to win...

Klopek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very, very unlikely

I don't think so. Earl still possesses a very powerful game, but mentally, he just isn't that consistent any more. He appears to he bored or frustrated with his game and not having a major win in a few years might have chipped away at his confidence level. Opponents have figured him out and they simply ignore his sharking antics. He just doesn't get under his opponents skin like he once did. However, Earl gets himself so riled up that he throws his own game off. (I'm thinking of his match against Kuo Po Cheng in particular).

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy-D said:
> The table he used to have set up in the poolroom in Greensboro was a Diamond with obscenely tight pockets. Tommy D.

If your referring to Breaker's (Quaker Village shopping center) On Friendly Ave. That's where he always played...

It wasn't a Diamond...it was a Gold Crown.

Earl can play on any table. If it's got balls, he can play on it. Sure enough, he's more at home on the Brunswick's. Don't count him out....The U.S. Open seems to bring the best out of him, ALWAYS.

30 second shot clock, and TIGHT (4 Inch) pockets....He's the champ everytime.

If Behrman controls the crowd, (REMOVE hecklers!) he has a great chance of snapping it off once again.

Won his first match 11-ZIP, just might be a good sign?

GO Earl!

Rick S.

jjollie

In my opinion...yes!!!! Earl is the best shotmaker alive. If he could get his head together he would be a elephant walking over every player. I have be watching Earl for 25 years and still enjoy his play. I don't like his ways but I love his game.

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has Earl Always Been Like This?

For those of you who got to see Earl since he first turned pro, has Earl always had this type of attitude when he plays? Or did it develop around a particular time? Any well known stories about him from the 70's or 80's?

Omar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jjollie said:
In my opinion...yes!!!! Earl is the best shotmaker alive. If he could get his head together he would be a elephant walking over every player. I have be watching Earl for 25 years and still enjoy his play. I don't like his ways but I love his game.

You are not the only person with that opinion. The year that Troy Frank won the Valley Forge tournament I was sitting in the stands with Frankie Hernandez and Jose Garcia directly behind me, so I got to eavesdrop on their conversation. When Earl came out and started practising on the table directly in front of us, Frankie made the comment "Nobody pockets like Earl".

We all know Earl can play. It's a question of whether he can keep his head together. Sometimes his behaviour is baffling. I watched his A side match with Souquet last year. He jarred a ball in the side pocket around the third game and pouted for the rest of the match. He sat in his chair acting like he was sleeping, trying to send a message to the crowd about how slow Ralph was playing.

I didn't notice Ralph playing slowly that night, he just plain kicked Earl's butt. To be fair, Ralph's previous round match with P.J. Mascicutt the next day was dragging on the entire time Earl was playing Effren. Must have been close to three hours, if not longer.

jimmy-leggs

A GREAT DAY
Silver Member
he is done,i think he is gone mental.to be honest with you ,i think he is losing his mind.the antics he has shown of late just baffles me.oh well there is enough young exiting young players coming up in the ranks.future looks great.cant wait to see him freakout on the lag soon .lol.that would be funny.maybe its that 70,s hairdo or those 70,s cardigan sweaters he wears lol. oh earl, take some vallium,might get some class back.

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
he definitely CAN win the open again, and i THINK he has the desire and motivation to. And i really hope he wins it - he's the greatest 9-ball player ever in my opinion, but what really sets him apart is the WAY he plays the game. there are four or five other players you could make a case for as possibly being as good as or maybe better, but is there anyone that plays the game so beautifully?

his pace, his stroke, his style of play, - if ever i want to get myself fired up to play some pool I watch Earl. If i could for a day have one players game and borrow it, i'd take his. He's the most inspirational player ever and i'm backing him all the way.

With a bit of luck his first match is a sign of things to come!

Rick S.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
worriedbeef said:
he definitely CAN win the open again, and i THINK he has the desire and motivation to. And i really hope he wins it - he's the greatest 9-ball player ever in my opinion, but what really sets him apart is the WAY he plays the game. there are four or five other players you could make a case for as possibly being as good as or maybe better, but is there anyone that plays the game so beautifully?

his pace, his stroke, his style of play, - if ever i want to get myself fired up to play some pool I watch Earl. If i could for a day have one players game and borrow it, i'd take his. He's the most inspirational player ever and i'm backing him all the way.

With a bit of luck his first match is a sign of things to come!

You can say that again....

I used to sit and watch him for hours. No purer stroke to be found on this planet, anyway. NO hesitation, just fire it in...no problem.

There is only ONE Earl...... Man........ is he fun to watch when he's on.

Bring it home.....for the SIXTH time!

Rick S.