Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Is Efren Better Than Ever?
Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
mikepage
AzB Silver Member
mikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond reputemikepage has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-18-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
My thoughts exactly!

And while he's currently not at his best EVER (a bit of clickbait hyperbole, I must admit), he certainly seems to be playing better now (specifically since his farewell tour last year) than he's been in recent years (even though my saying so is just based primarily on youtube videos). He's making shots now that I haven't seen him (or anyone else, for that matter) do in his older videos. Case in point:

https://youtu.be/tydl9LjdWfY

I'm just amazed that year after year of hearing that "he's lost it" or "he's past his prime", he still continues to surprise and prove everyone wrong, all at an age when he should be playing the senior tour.

The data show some recent decline. Each dot here represents about 500 games, and if we were to put error bars on each point they might be about 12 points in either direction. So this is more or less 790 for a few years and then some decline.

If you look back at criticism of Fargo Ratings in this forum from a few years ago, one of the themes was how ridiculous it was that we had Efren at near or at world class. But he was in fact performing that strong
Attached Images

mike page
http://www.fargorate.com
player ratings for the world

Old
  (#47)
Renegade
Consume Mass Quantities!
Renegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 490

07-18-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage View Post
The data show some recent decline. Each dot here represents about 500 games, and if we were to put error bars on each point they might be about 12 points in either direction. So this is more or less 790 for a few years and then some decline.

If you look back at criticism of Fargo Ratings in this forum from a few years ago, one of the themes was how ridiculous it was that we had Efren at near or at world class. But he was in fact performing that strong
Cool! Are they averages? Which games are considered? Where can I see other players' ratings?

Consume Mass Quantities!

Old
  (#48)
pt109
WO double hemlock
pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

07-18-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
Cool! Are they averages? Which games are considered? Where can I see other players' ratings?
https://www.fargorate.com/top-ten-lists

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Reyes
Old
  (#49)
chas1022
AzB Silver Member
chas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond reputechas1022 has a reputation beyond repute

Reyes - 07-18-2019, 06:27 PM

He has such a knowledge of the game that it does seem he is just as good as he once was but he is not because you get older , your eyes go etc. itís called Father Time nobody beats the clock When he was younger he relied on his shot making skills because he didnít have as much knowledge about position. play,safety play and over all knowledge. But in time time he matured as a player to be one of the best ever. Back in the 80ís Mike Sigel was the best around at 9 ball and nobody was close to him at all. With all that I would drop everything to watch Reyes play again.

Old
  (#50)
Renegade
Consume Mass Quantities!
Renegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond reputeRenegade has a reputation beyond repute

07-18-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Thanks! Really interesting. I can see why the list favors current players as it puts more weight on recent games.

Consume Mass Quantities!

Old
  (#51)
Renegade
Consume Mass Quantities!

07-18-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas1022 View Post
He has such a knowledge of the game that it does seem he is just as good as he once was but he is not because you get older , your eyes go etc. itís called Father Time nobody beats the clock When he was younger he relied on his shot making skills because he didnít have as much knowledge about position. play,safety play and over all knowledge. But in time time he matured as a player to be one of the best ever. Back in the 80ís Mike Sigel was the best around at 9 ball and nobody was close to him at all. With all that I would drop everything to watch Reyes play again.
Yes, even Efren acknowledges that Mike was his favorite player. Which must have been bitter-sweet for him to win over Mike in the IPT.

Consume Mass Quantities!

Old
  (#52)
us820
AzB Silver Member
us820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond reputeus820 has a reputation beyond repute

07-18-2019, 07:24 PM

I skipped reading but will answer the OP.No,but he is still really good.

"Long Live the King" well said my friend.
Old
  (#53)
john noe
AzB Bronze Member
john noe is on a distinguished road

"Long Live the King" well said my friend. - 07-19-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King T View Post
I think your right. He just seems to come to the table and does what Efren does.., out think everybody! I hope he never really retires or at lest continues to grace all of us with his presence from time to time.

Long Live the King!
He truly is the King. Only one player was barely better than him at only one game, nine ball. That player was Earl Srickland but only because of his superior break shot. Efren was king of one pocket, eight ball, and carom games.

Last edited by john noe; 07-19-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: