Tips of English

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was sent a copies of articles written by Carl Conlon. One of the articles better describes a clock system than I can and am trying to perfect it for myself.

The starting point is to calibrate your stroke to give tip placement a numerical value 1, 2 or 3. Lets call them tips of English. Shooting straight across the the short 1 tip will bring the ball back 1 diamond over from your starting line on the second rail. Two tips = 2 diamonds and 3 is supposed to go 3 diamonds. He also shows going further than 3 diamonds = max English w/o a value.

I can only get 2-1/2 diamonds on a 3 tip offset unless I elevate slightly. Plus theres no way I can go any further out and not misscue.

Elevation is not mentioned so assume he's saying with a level cue. What do you guys think? I have a stroke issue or elevation is required. Carl says keep working at it till you get there. Hmmm I've been working on it for a very long time.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Couple of questions come to mind.... Table size? Tip Size? Nickle or dime? Stroke Speed? Cloth type and speed? If these things are different than the equipment used to develop the clock system you are trying to duplicate you may not be able to get the same results without the elevation.

I noticed recently that the contact patch between my Gibbs LD with a repressed Le Pro is still considerable larger than the patch from my BK2 even tho the Gibbs is smaller diameter.... SO even tip TYPE could account for a variance....

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I guess there's no simple pat answer to this.

Here's more background.
The manuscript concerns 3Cushion. My table is 5X10 with Granito M very clean as well as the balls which are reasonably new and clean. I take care of my equipment. Tip size is 11.5 and the tip currently is Kamui Brown Med. Radius, well let call it a dime. Blue Diamond chalk. Dieckman 3Cushion Cue. Ball speed is just enough to get the job done.

With some exceptions these conditions would be very similar to when the articles were written in 1986. Exceptions could be cloth Simonis, table European and the tip. My table is a converted 90 year old T-Rail Brunswick (my Avatar) with kleber 3C cushions. It plays reasonably accurate.

I've never been able to get the 3rd diamond without elevation on any table unless its filthy dirty. I do maintain a certain amount of slide on my table which I'm sure adds some to difficulty.

I suppose it really doesn't matter. When I use the clock caroming off a ball the numbers work just fine to the system described. What's really got me irked is Conlon shows you're supposed to get even further with so called max English. Man where is that?

Its like that first girl friend. Can't get to home without getting to third. Maybe I'll just have to be happy with second.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hitting somewhat below center along with max side spin will probably get you there.

On slippery (new) cloth or with waxed balls, it's hard to get the maximum angles.

It's probably not your problem, but some chalk doesn't work very well.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for chiming in Bob

I have hit slighty low w/o backspin. I'll try Masters to see any differnce.

Oh boy will this create a storm if it works.:rolleyes: