Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Non Pool Related
Reload this Page Concealed Carry Goes Wrong in Restaurant
Page 10 of 11 « First 8910 11

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#136)
avmaster
Man of Reason
avmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-15-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb View Post
Nope. My family may be at the mercy of luck about many things, but not having guns doesn't significantly affect our chances of survival.

We're probably more likely to die in a wreck driving to work tomorrow than to die for lack of a readily available gun at any time for the rest of our lives.
Very well, I respect your choice......

Playing cue: Kenny Murrell
Break cue: 55 year old Helmstetter

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment.This is because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

Hey, it's your world, I'm just passing through it......

Old
  (#137)
sjb
evolving player
sjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-15-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaster View Post
Very well, I respect your choice......
As I respect yours.

Old
  (#138)
UGOTDA7
Ban pending.....
UGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond repute

01-16-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I didn't "fall for" anything. I'm well aware of how statistics are skewed for any given agenda, and how one set of statistics can show the invalidity of another set.

This was little more than a jab back at Sev for telling me I'm leaving my family to the mercy of luck. That's just as much bullshit.
But think about what your responses betray about yourself - which is that you feel you are not responsible enough to safely have a gun in your house......and just having that inanimate tool available is a negative instead of a positive. I simply find that to be irrational. But you know what the good thing is - at least you had the freedom to make that irrational choice.

Old
  (#139)
avmaster
Man of Reason
avmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond reputeavmaster has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGOTDA7 View Post
But think about what your responses betray about yourself - which is that you feel you are not responsible enough to safely have a gun in your house......and just having that inanimate tool available is a negative instead of a positive. I simply find that to be irrational. But you know what the good thing is - at least you had the freedom to make that irrational choice.
Irrational choice is the flavor of the day...... now in the midst of a full out assualt on the NRA and the second ammendment lead by the likes of Bob Schiffer.................

Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment.This is because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

Old
  (#140)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
There was a study done which found that a gun kept in the home was 43 times more likely to be involved in the death of a family member than to be used in self-defense.

Seems that the odds are with me.
Thats really scary.
Did the study include all the inner city shootings that occur in places such as Chicago and Detroit using illegal firearms as well?

So let me ask you. As per that study.
With 100,000,000 people owning firearms. Presumably keeping them in the home. Was there any where near 43 million deaths caused by gun accidents in the home?
Its a rough conversion I now going from 43 times to 43%. However 43 times is a 430% increase.

Also did you stop using and remove all the chemicals from your home?

Did you throw out all your medications?
Did the wife throw out all her cosmetics?
Did you take out the stair cases? Or move to a single level house?
Did you remove the bathtubs?
Did you throw out all your cutlery as well?
Did you remove all the plastic bags from your house?
Did you refrain from feeding your child GMO foods and processed foods to limit the chances of tumors, cancers and other health problems?
Did you seal off the basement and attic?
Did you cut down all the trees in your yard?
Did you convert your exterior steps to ramps?
Did you install rear camera's on your vehicles?
Did you convert your house to a clean room to prevent biological pathogens from entering?
Did you keep the child isolated so as to limit the chances of her being infected by biological pathogens.
Did you prevent her from staying over at friends houses where firearms may have been present?

So many things to be afraid of that can harm a child that most people ignore.

Yet an empty firearm with a trigger lock or in a safe can not harm anyone.
Better yet. Proper parental training when the child becomes old enough to under stand removes the curiosity about a firearm and gives them the ability to proficiently defend themselves.

As I said was your choice.

However let me pose this to you.

If your family ended up like that doctors a couple of years ago where the wife and daughter were raped, murdered and then burned in their home.
If you had to live with the question for the rest of your life as to what the alternative outcome would have been if you had kept your guns, carried concealed and trained them how to use the firearms proficiently.
Would you be able to live with yourself?

The police are always minutes away when seconds count. They sometimes even knock on the door and leave when they hear no response.

You see. You are in far more danger from your fellow man than a tool in the home that is respected and used proficiently.
I would submit that by removing your firearms you endangered your family far more than having kept them.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Yep. Sev is smarter than you all."
"I dont know much."
"I'm just a flea along for the ride."--366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

Last edited by Sev; 01-17-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Old
  (#141)
UGOTDA7
Ban pending.....
UGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond reputeUGOTDA7 has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaster View Post
Irrational choice is the flavor of the day...... now in the midst of a full out assualt on the NRA and the second ammendment lead by the likes of Bob Schiffer.................
Yeah, but I don't mean it in a derogatory manner.

I just find it interesting how pervasive the irrational emotionally based mindset has been instilled throughout the population that a gun is in and of itself is dangerous.....especially in otherwise fairly rational people.

Old
  (#142)
sjb
evolving player
sjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond reputesjb has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2013, 10:17 AM

It's interesting that you guys conclude that I no longer have guns because I don't think I'm responsible enough to keep them safely. That's horseshit. I grew up with guns, and owned guns all my life until I decided not to. I was always taught and practiced the respect that guns deserve, and drilled about safety. When we stayed at our farm when I was a kid, my grandmother kept a 12 gauge by her bed, and carried a derringer and switchblade in her purse. The farmhouse was broken into several times, but luckily never when we were there. I hunted for decades with both guns and bows.

What I did was make a decision that guns were no longer a priority, or even a necessity, in my life. If you view that choice as stupid and irrational, then fine, don't make that choice for yourselves. Heck, continue to berate me for it if it makes you feel better, or somehow smarter than me. But it's worked just fine for me over the last 27 years, and I don't have any reason to change it now. To me, it's not much different than the choice I make to not have bars over my windows and doors, or the choice I make to not wear body armor and carry three pistols on me every time I leave the house.

Now, if my situation were different--say I lived in a different area, or had a different job, or faced any number of other variables in life--I might well choose to arm myself and my home to the teeth. But as things stand, my life is and has been for a long time just fine without guns.

One of my buddies did invite me out to shoot the M1A he just got himself for Christmas, so I'll probably check that out.

Old
  (#143)
UGOTDA7
Ban pending.....

01-17-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
It's interesting that you guys conclude that I no longer have guns because I don't think I'm responsible enough to keep them safely. That's horseshit. I grew up with guns, and owned guns all my life until I decided not to. I was always taught and practiced the respect that guns deserve, and drilled about safety. When we stayed at our farm when I was a kid, my grandmother kept a 12 gauge by her bed, and carried a derringer and switchblade in her purse. The farmhouse was broken into several times, but luckily never when we were there. I hunted for decades with both guns and bows.

What I did was make a decision that guns were no longer a priority, or even a necessity, in my life. If you view that choice as stupid and irrational, then fine, don't make that choice for yourselves. Heck, continue to berate me for it if it makes you feel better, or somehow smarter than me. But it's worked just fine for me over the last 27 years, and I don't have any reason to change it now. To me, it's not much different than the choice I make to not have bars over my windows and doors, or the choice I make to not wear body armor and carry three pistols on me every time I leave the house.

Now, if my situation were different--say I lived in a different area, or had a different job, or faced any number of other variables in life--I might well choose to arm myself and my home to the teeth. But as things stand, my life is and has been for a long time just fine without guns.

One of my buddies did invite me out to shoot the M1A he just got himself for Christmas, so I'll probably check that out.
I don't think anybody is berating you.

I believe you said you got rid of guns when you had kids correct? So why? It's obvious you and/or your wife felt guns in your home would be a danger with the arrival of your kids. That simply makes no rational sense.

The point here is the external influence of how you arrived at an irrational decision and in the larger context that you're far from alone in your irrationality - which as a result leads to a mindset of denying other people the opportunity to at least have the chance to make a similar choice.

Old
  (#144)
sjb
evolving player

01-17-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I don't think anybody is berating you.

I believe you said you got rid of guns when you had kids correct? So why? It's obvious you and/or your wife felt guns in your home would be a danger with the arrival of your kids. That simply makes no rational sense.

The point here is the external influence of how you arrived at an irrational decision and in the larger context that you're far from alone in your irrationality - which as a result leads to a mindset of denying other people the opportunity to at least have the chance to make a similar choice.
Okay, you're not berating me, you're just calling me irrational.

Viewing my choice as irrational is not a fact, it's merely your opinion. And you don't know that any "external influence" caused my decision. Nor do you know what my wife and I felt. I knew full well that if I wanted to keep my guns I could do so in a manner that would not present any unnecessary danger to anyone, as did my wife. I simply decided that I no longer needed or had a particular desire to have guns. Other things, including my daughter, were more important.

You can view that as irrational if you want. I imagine there are things you do that I'd find irrational as well. But choosing to own guns isn't one of the things I find irrational, or a choice I would ever deny you or any other person to make. If you want to put bars on your doors and windows as well, have at it. If you want to carry a gun, go ahead. If you want to build an underground bunker stocked with guns and dried food, knock yourself out. It's your life, and as long as you don't hurt anyone else in the process, do as you see fit. That's what I try to do.

Old
  (#145)
UGOTDA7
Ban pending.....

01-17-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Okay, you're not berating me, you're just calling me irrational.

Viewing my choice as irrational is not a fact, it's merely your opinion. And you don't know that any "external influence" caused my decision. Nor do you know what my wife and I felt. I knew full well that if I wanted to keep my guns I could do so in a manner that would not present any unnecessary danger to anyone, as did my wife. I simply decided that I no longer needed or had a particular desire to have guns. Other things, including my daughter, were more important.

You can view that as irrational if you want. I imagine there are things you do that I'd find irrational as well. But choosing to own guns isn't one of the things I find irrational, or a choice I would ever deny you or any other person to make. If you want to put bars on your doors and windows as well, have at it. If you want to carry a gun, go ahead. If you want to build an underground bunker stocked with guns and dried food, knock yourself out. It's your life, and as long as you don't hurt anyone else in the process, do as you see fit. That's what I try to do.
We're all irrational in our own ways - I have no problem saying that. I also have no problem recognizing it for what it is.

And you see, here you go again - it's not an either or situation.....your kid or a gun. You made an emotional decision devoid of reason not based on facts due in part to external influences. That decision was irrational.

And it's that type of mindset that leads to denying others choices. Great....you may not do that but plenty of others will. We just saw that in New York for example.

And you can keep being all huffy and puffy about it and building straw men.....but that doesn't change the basic facts.

Old
  (#146)
avmaster
Man of Reason

01-17-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but I don't mean it in a derogatory manner.

I just find it interesting how pervasive the irrational emotionally based mindset has been instilled throughout the population that a gun is in and of itself is dangerous.....especially in otherwise fairly rational people.
I didn't think it was derogatory. The result is some people are giving an inanimate object "life" as in it is somehow a "living" evil that takes you over if you touch it. Cripes, just look at New York, there is the result of the irrationality.

Old
  (#147)
sjb
evolving player

01-17-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
We're all irrational in our own ways - I have no problem saying that. I also have no problem recognizing it for what it is.

And you see, here you go again - it's not an either or situation.....your kid or a gun. You made an emotional decision devoid of reason not based on facts due in part to external influences. That decision was irrational.

And it's that type of mindset that leads to denying others choices. Great....you may not do that but plenty of others will. We just saw that in New York for example.

And you can keep being all huffy and puffy about it and building straw men.....but that doesn't change the basic facts.
"Huffy and puffy?" LOL

So, choosing to not have guns is irrational because it lessens one's ability to protect and defend oneself and one's family from outside harm, correct?

Tell me, do you have tempered steel bars over the doors and windows of your home? If you don't, why not?

Old
  (#148)
UGOTDA7
Ban pending.....

01-17-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
"Huffy and puffy?" LOL

So, choosing to not have guns is irrational because it lessens one's ability to protect and defend oneself and one's family from outside harm, correct?

Tell me, do you have tempered steel bars over the doors and windows of your home? If you don't, why not?
Yeah, huffy and puffy.....but that's fine - you've established that you're emotional on this and seeing as how it's relating to your daughter I can understand.

Choosing to get rid of a gun after having a kid because of the view that a gun in and of itself is supposedly dangerous is irrational.

A gun takes a person to function.....and you are of the mindset that somehow you would be unable to control a gun. When you can show me a gun all by itself shooting somebody I'll begin to accept your irrationality.

By your standard I can take SVB's pool cue and play like him......after all it's the tool and not the person using it right?

Nope, no steel bars - of course that is based on cost, area I live in, crime rates, aesthetics, other defense measures......you know, rational types of things - not because I feel the steel bars will come alive and kill me at some point in the future.

Next canard?

Old
  (#149)
OneIron
On the snap, Vinny!
OneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond reputeOneIron has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
"Huffy and puffy?" LOL

I honestly have no problem with folks who choose not to have guns. It's their choice and I would defend that choice, without questioning their motivation. But I firmly believe that law abiding citizens have the right to own any type of weapon without government interference.

Live and let live.

Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.

Old
  (#150)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

01-17-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I never suggested that you were irresponsible or that you would not keep them safely.

I just find it odd that an individual that obviously likes firearms and is comfortable around them would decide to give them up when the most precious thing to enter ones life arrives.
The world is full of evil people and where you live is not necessarily a guarantee that nothing bad will happen.

What you did only worked for you because you gambled that the odds were in your favor that nothing bad would happen to you and yours. That gamble paid of in your case.

My point is not to berate or belittle you. I am merely attempt to point out that your reasoning in the matter is not necessarily sound when looking at the reality of how many things can go wrong between now and then.

Thankfully you and yours are happy and healthy. In the end that is what really counts.

PS. I have a fantastic Mathews Conquest III bow for target. Very enjoyable to shoot.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Yep. Sev is smarter than you all."
"I dont know much."
"I'm just a flea along for the ride."--366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

Page 10 of 11 « First 8910 11

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: