2.) Head movement
3.) Bad eye pattern
4.) Using too much side-spin
5.) Damn it, Freddie!!!

Maniac (not necessarily in that order)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I’m sticking up for Freddie....mainly because both my grandfathers, a brother, and a cousin
are named Freddie.
It’s not Freddie’s fault, it’s the barometric pressure.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
9fc7e768a596c75ff8f1e1c7ba5291d5--beautiful-athletes-sporty-girls.jpg

...and Freddy had nothing to do with it!

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
A split mind. You cannot think about 2 things at once. Make up your mind (even if it is the wrong decision) before you get down on the shot. If you are thinking about 2 different things without being fully committed, most likely you will miss at that point. Commit.

Exactly. The brain doesn't multitask. It processes one thing at a time. It may feel like multitasking when you're doing several things at once, but the brain is actually pingponging back and forth between tasks.

Usually if I miss it's because I assume the shot is automatic, like there's no way to miss it, then when I'm down on the ball I might change my mind on the position play, and instead of standing back up and restarting my psr, I just shoot from where I'd originally lined up for the shot. And sometimes it's a spectator that points it out to me by saying something like, "I thought you you'd just draw it straight back." And I think....yes, that was my plan, but I changed my mind once I bent down into shot. Why didn't I stand back up and restart!!??

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
This is kind of like chicken or egg. Do we miss because we jump up or do we jump up because we know we missed?

See the post above. I don't think the shooter was totally committed, but staying down can be solved with good pre-shot and post-shot routines (i.e. stay down at the table until the balls generally stop moving).

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Exactly. The brain doesn't multitask. It processes one thing at a time. It may feel like multitasking when you're doing several things at once, but the brain is actually pingponging back and forth between tasks.
I've heard that - I wonder if it's true for conscious and unconscious "thoughts"? We often do things "automatically" (like driving) while thinking about other things.

pj <- how's that working out for us?
chgo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
great thread!

sometimes the balls just zoom into the pockets, but mostly I have to put them there..it's tuff.
for me, I think a lot of it comes down to not being committed/not being more focused on what's happening.
I also often plead ignorance/I just don't know what the heck I'm doin.

~sean <<<-- wishes he could blame more on freddie

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
great thread!

sometimes the balls just zoom into the pockets, but mostly I have to put them there..it's tuff.
for me, I think a lot of it comes down to not being committed/not being more focused on what's happening.
I also often plead ignorance/I just don't know what the heck I'm doin.

~sean <<<-- wishes he could blame more on freddie

I love this thread!!!!

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I saw a few of my main culprits...changing my mind once down and then not standing back up. Or if at any time I feel “off” in my stance and maybe I’m trying to lean a bit, then I think (I should stand up)...once you think that you pretty much have to stand up or you’re 50/50 at best. I am at least.

Another big one for me is tightening my grip on long, hard hitting shots. I’ve mostly rid myself of it but sometimes it rears up at the worst times &#55357;&#56485;

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Aside from limited talent and being inconsistent my main reason for missing is concentration.