Can my jump break cue be fixed

Huzz

Registered
I have a Lucasi jump break cue. Not sure of the model or anything but it does have a quick lock release pin at both the connecting parts for the butt and shaft and the butt portion that comes apart to shorten the cue for jumping. Anyhow the butt portion no longer screws together tightly there is a 1/4 inch or more gab between. It sorta looks like the metal insert has pulled out of the butt some. Needless to say my break cue doesnt hit like it once did. Is this something that can be repaired. I apologize if my description is not great. I would be willing to post pics if necessary and i can figure out how to do so. If this repairable any idea on cost as i dont have a lot of $ to do this. Just have to use a bar stick if need be but because i just paid to have a new white diamond tip installed this is a total bummer.

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
Proficient Billiards can probably fix that. And at a reasonable price. proficientbilliards.com

tsp&b

Silver Member
Almost anything can be fixed. Wherever you are located I am sure there is a qualified cue repair service within a reasonable distance. In line with the rules of this forum, you will probably not get any price quotes here except by PM. In addition it would be hard to make an estimate without actually seeing the cue. However if you let folks know where you are located perhaps you will get some referrals or other useful information.

I hope this is helpful,
Todd

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
pictures are a must...otherwise, we don't know what really is really needed to repair it.
Dave

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
pictures are a must...otherwise, we don't know what really is really needed to repair it.
Dave

Ditto - pictures and location. If you're not close to Proficient and have to ship your butt, then the cost goes up considerably. A "proficient" cuetech :) will be able to fix this quickly, assuming your description of the problem is correct.
Gary

captainjko

Kirk
Silver Member
If the threaded end is bottoming out before the wood to wood meets, there could be something in the hole. Or like you said, the threaded part could have come out some. If it is no longer loose, you could cut the tip of the threads off the 1/4" needed to be removed. But again, like others have said, pictures are a must...

dzcues

Silver Member
Not uncommon at all.

The QR joint comes loose every so often so the player reefs on it, hoping it will stay tight. The short, fine threads holding the brass insert are not adequate to withstand the torque applied and eventually the insert is drawn out by the act of repeatedly over-tightening the sections together. The insert is eventually pulled out until it bottoms out on the recess surrounding the male pin.

Fixing it is as simple as pulling out the insert, boring & plugging the hole & installing a new insert. The male pin should be fine.