Bar Table Eight Ball

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Usually I go to AZ Billiards and immediately hit the "forum" and come on here, but for some reason today I decided to take a look at the AZ home page just to see if there was anything new to report. I happened to notice a promo for an old match from the 2016 U.S. Bar Table Championships between Skyler Woodward and Justin Bergman. Why not take a look?

My first surprise was hearing a familiar voice announcing the match. I forgot that was the year I worked with Bobby Leblanc doing commentary. Anyway, I never watched this match after it was first played and thought it would be interesting to check it out. I was also curious as to what Bobby and I had to say.

What struck me right away was the thought processes both these guys went through when deciding which group of balls to take. They were looking for the run-out and how they could accomplish that on their first turn. P.S. There weren't many second turns in this match! I know that people deride bar table pool as being a kids game and far too easy for top players. I would have to disagree with that assessment, especially when it comes to Eight Ball. In almost all the games the balls were congested and some were tied up. It took some excellent position play and cue ball control to run most of these racks. Both players were also forced to make changes in their strategy mid rack when things didn't go exactly as planned.

What I saw in this match was good decision making and equally good shot making. There were no easy racks, both players having to do some maneuvering to run the balls, often in tight quarters. Watching two top players play this seemingly "easy" game was very enjoyable. I won't tell you who won, but the winner had to play good throughout the match. There was no let up by either player.

As for the commentary - bleh! :thumbup:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Any time I hear Jay commentate....I get a little ping on my radar...
...just realized what it is..:idea2:
Jay, you sound like Allan McCarty, one of the founders of Predator.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
"I didn't want to play Mike Sigel, I wanted to play Mike Beagle."
Jay Helfert

Usually I go to AZ Billiards and immediately hit the "forum" and come on here, but for some reason today I decided to take a look at the AZ home page just to see if there was anything new to report. I happened to notice a promo for an old match from the 2016 U.S. Bar Table Championships between Skyler Woodward and Justin Bergman. Why not take a look?

My first surprise was hearing a familiar voice announcing the match. I forgot that was the year I worked with Bobby Leblanc doing commentary. Anyway, I never watched this match after it was first played and thought it would be interesting to check it out. I was also curious as to what Bobby and I had to say.

What struck me right away was the thought processes both these guys went through when deciding which group of balls to take. They were looking for the run-out and how they could accomplish that on their first turn. P.S. There weren't many second turns in this match! I know that people deride bar table pool as being a kids game and far too easy for top players. I would have to disagree with that assessment, especially when it comes to Eight Ball. In almost all the games the balls were congested and some were tied up. It took some excellent position play and cue ball control to run most of these racks. Both players were also forced to make changes in their strategy mid rack when things didn't go exactly as planned.

What I saw in this match was good decision making and equally good shot making. There were no easy racks, both players having to do some maneuvering to run the balls, often in tight quarters. Watching two top players play this seemingly "easy" game was very enjoyable. I won't tell you who won, but the winner had to play good throughout the match. There was no let up by either player.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't watch bar table 8 ball. I've seen many drunks that could easily run the table and I've heard too many commentators that need to be muted.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one thing I notice about bar table 8 ball is the pro’s completly sell out to break out any problems balls and run out. On that level of play you have no choice.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I remember this match, a good one for sure. Bar table 8 Ball is awesome to watch wth good players and I’d like to see videos of people running racks that say it’s soo easy. It’s also easy to get in serious trouble.

The best match is Shane van B and josh Roberts, 2016 US open 8 Ball I think it was. A perfect match except for JR getting kicked in once on the break.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't watch bar table 8 ball. I've seen many drunks that could easily run the table and I've heard too many commentators that need to be muted.
Nothing more dangerous than a APA 3-speed with a keyboard. Seriously, WTF??? Just HOW good do you play?

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with OP and it may be true for lower skilled players also. I recently found out I can beat ghost more often on 9’ GC then on 7’ V. The bar box is so effin touchy.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've watched that match several times and I love to watch the Bar Table 8 ball matches. Really highlights the strategy at high level because mistakes are magnified. The outcome is the same as bar players after the mistake is made, it's just that the pros get there in one inning and the bangers get there in 7. lol.

It's always a treat when I turn on a match and it's you and Bobby commentating. I enjoyed his stories too and it seems like they asked him to tone them down a little. I would rather they hadn't but it's still good.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Agreed sixpack about the commentary. Those 2 together are my favorite with the stories and all

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember this match, a good one for sure. Bar table 8 Ball is awesome to watch wth good players and I’d like to see videos of people running racks that say it’s soo easy. It’s also easy to get in serious trouble.

The best match is Shane van B and josh Roberts, 2016 US open 8 Ball I think it was. A perfect match except for JR getting kicked in once on the break.

That Roberts SVB match was amazing. I didn't remember a kick-in on the CB. I thought Shane won the lag and it was alternate breaks and they both broke and ran every game.

Although I remember another match where the announcers thought one player had run all of his out from the break but he had played a safe after his first break and got BIH the announcers just missed it. So I easily could have missed it too.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember SVB say in a TAR interview with him and Efren that his favorite game was bar table last pocket 8 ball. Efrin said he liked rotation.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I haven't seen much high level bar table 8 Ball - do they break differently than on bigger tables?

I remember Corey using the 2nd ball 8 Ball break for one pocket (on a 9-footer) because the balls tended to end up on one side of the table - does that happen on a bar box too?

To me CB control is the fun part of pool, so I enjoy lots of traffic. I only get to play on 9-footers, so I play lots of 15-ball rotation and one pocket to challenge my CB control. What other game(s) are good for that?

pj
chgo

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen much high level bar table 8 Ball - do they break differently than on bigger tables?

I remember Corey using the 2nd ball 8 Ball break for one pocket (on a 9-footer) because the balls tended to end up on one side of the table - does that happen on a bar box too?

To me CB control is the fun part of pool, so I enjoy lots of traffic. I only get to play on 9-footers, so I play lots of 15-ball rotation and one pocket to challenge my CB control. What other game(s) are good for that?

pj
chgo

Corey breaks second ball. Shane breaks very close to his big table 8-ball break. A little right or left of center and sometimes behind the line a diamond.

I think you would love bar table 8-ball. The focus is more on strategy and position than ball pocketing. Although on diamond bar tables the pocketing is no joke. If you lose focus or try to get cute you will miss.