Components Necessary to Become a Pro Level Pool Player?

penguin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To become a pro level pool player?

Obsession.

Pool has to come above and before everything else.

Work, family, relationships, education... they all have to be sacrificed.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eye of the Tiger
Desperation born out of no other possible opportunity

A crazy fasciination with the game

A natural skill

I disagree with people who think it is all hard work
and instruction

My experience is that good player get good quick

I mean real good real quick

I remember Shannon Dalton waling into Rustys about 12 years old
with bermuda shorts and PF flyers,socks hanging down

he beat some great player at one pocket,he was in the far corner with his cue ball

I mean the crows nest ,way way up table, he back cut the object ball on the spot.

Not once but in two games in a row.Same shot,12 years old, pocket speed

I had some old newspapers with poctures of little Willie Mosconi,6 or so years old

The story tolds about him running 15 balls on the 10 footer his first month of playing

No instruction ,no long routine of playing

If a player can't beat everybody in his home town ,by the time he has played a year
i doubt he will ever be any good

Back to Shannon,what did he do when he was not gambling on the pool table?

Playing poker

He was not practicing,he was not shooting drills, he was not worrying abo
ballance point on his cue, he was not herpo worshipping Jack Cooney asking how to play this shot or that

He was asking Jack for a game

My guess is champions are born,plus they play a lot real soon,improve real fast
and stick with it if they have no other opportunity to excel in another endeavovor

I have never seen a guy who played over 2 years suddenly or gradually get great

Golf or pool, young phenoms become champions

Self image ,psychological cybernetic hopefuls,positive thinking gerus
are all hot air,I never saw one grow to be a world beater

In fact I have seen players who were close to being the best,start getting
psychological sports psychologist inputand go caput,

CJ was as great as anyone around here,then he studied psychology.
got advice,next thing you know he was n o longer the player he
had been.

If practice and all that helped,Dick Lane would have been the worlds best player

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone else reminded of Sam Lambert when reading this thread?
Yup. I referred to him obliquely above. A 10,000-hour believer.

I had a student (briefly) who was a 10,000-hour guy. He had taken lessons regularly from a local pro, had his own table, and had a well-known instructor come in for three days of training. He wanted me to set out a training program for him to follow, possibly with regular email/phone contact, for his 10,000 hour attempt. He seemed extremely motivated.

We met at a pool hall when I was on a trip to his area. I asked him to shoot some shots for me so I could see where he was at the start. It turned out that he had never learned any kind of cue ball control. Like simple draw shots. I'm not sure what the other instructors worked on with him. But what is puzzling is how he could have watched good players and not realized how far he was below them and all the things they did that he had no clue about how to do.

I suppose I could have told him that his burning flame would make him a champion. And taken his money for phone and email consultation. At the age of about 40 he was at the level of play I had reached when I was 16 and had been playing casually for four months on a friend's fold-up Sears table.

Instead he saw how much he would have to learn, realized that his previous instructors had been milking him, and abandoned his plan to be a champion.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't buy into the natural talent thing. To me that's an excuse for those who aren't great. Like it's some mysterious gift that only certain people have and if you weren't born with it, you'll never be that great. Bullsh!t. It also imo, disrespects the person that is great. It diminishes the time, hard work and passion they put in the game.

This is a topic that has been beaten to death, but I always like to throw in my two cents when it comes up.

Natural talent definitely exists, and for pool I think it can be broken down into two main attributes. Hand/Eye coordination and spatial awareness/pattern recognition. These are skills that can be improved with practice, but some people are just born with a higher level than others.

So to answer the OP's question, I would say

1. Hand/Eye coordination
2. Spatial awareness/pattern recognition
3. Dedication in the form of focused table time, i.e drills, tournaments, gambling, etc.
4. Competitive
5. Short memory

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are certainly exceptions out there to the notion that any really good player has to make incredible progress in his game the first five years of playing, and that they are likely not going to get significantly better after their first 10 years of playing. I know of a player in his late 20s, has a full-time professional career, and tries to play as much as he can on the weekend regional tours. He started playing very young, likely as an early teen, so he’s easily been playing 15+ years.

He played in our room here for a couple years while he was in graduate school roughly 5 years ago. He was clearly a very talented young player at that time, but no better than our other top players, and would likely have had a Fargo rating in the low 600s. Now 5 years later, even working a full-time job and trying to fit in regional tour events when he can, he now has a Fargo rating in the low 700s. Certainly an exception to the rule. Whose to say in another 5 years he couldn’t continue to improve his game and raise his fargo rating to the mid to upper 700s? Not likely, but what he has already done has defied common logic.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
This can apply to anyone at any age, but what do you feel are the most important aspects to create a great young player, and prioritize them in the order of importance. This is not my particular order, but just listed as they came to mind to me. If there are other aspects you guys can think of to add to this list, please include.

1) Natural talent/gift for Pool - varies for all of us.
2). Solid fundamentals - stance/alignment/stroke, that either come to them naturally or have been properly taught to them at a very early stage.
3) Motivation/desire/opportunity to practice and play as much as possible particularly for the first five years
4). Playing with as well as watching and learning from the best players they possibly can in their home pool room.
5). Playing in smaller tournaments and starting to play for $ (within their means) as soon as possible.
6) Observing top pro players perform as much as possible – either live in person or by viewing matches on YouTube, etc.
7) An extremely competitive and absolutely hate to lose instinct/attitude that drives them, that you are likely either born with or learn very quickly. Some have it and some just don’t. This is characterized by an inner drive to never give up in any match situation, regardless of the score or the strength of your opponent.
8) A player that continues to improve every year as opposed to stagnating/leveling off at a certain skill level. Even some players that are really good will level off and reach their max potential at a certain skill level and never get any better - that’s just the way it is.
9) A player that is willing to travel out of town/state to challenge himself against better and better competition, either gambling or tournaments, at the point that he no longer has competition in his own geographical comfort zone.

No such thing as natural talent. Motivation, desire, hard work and hard meaningful practice=great athlete.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
No such thing as natural talent. Motivation, desire, hard work and hard meaningful practice=great athlete.
Of course there is such a thing. How a person is built, the muscle and nerve structure, reflexes, hand to eye coordination and a hundred other things are traits we are born with. Just like a person can be particularly adept at doing complex math, learning new languages, singing, jumping high or almost any athletic endeavor.

Nobody is born able to play pool at a high level but we all have different traits that either limit or accelerate our ability to improve with hard work.

Sent from the future.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You should read "The Sports Gene." It might change your mind. It is a most excellent read, and you can get a hardback copy delivered to your house for $6.

Briefly: you're wrong.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how do you explain a young player whose played / practiced 20-25 hours a week for his first 10 years playing who is still a “C” ranked player, whereas another young player whose played / practiced 10-15 hours a week his first 5 years has advanced from a “C” player to an “A” player? We have two such players in our pool room - playing on the same tables, against the same opponents, in the exact same environment. To me it’s obvious - natural talent for the game.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You should read "The Sports Gene." It might change your mind. It is a most excellent read, and you can get a hardback copy delivered to your house for $6.

Briefly: you're wrong.
Hey Bob, what about spatial perception? Aren't some people's brains just, for lack of a better term, "wired better" for the game? Some people just don't compute the 3D part of playing pool/billiards as well as others.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Shannon Dalton waling into Rustys about 12 years old
with bermuda shorts and PF flyers,socks hanging down

he beat some great player at one pocket,he was in the far corner with his cue ball

I mean the crows nest ,way way up table, he back cut the object ball on the spot.

Not once but in two games in a row.Same shot,12 years old, pocket speed

I had some old newspapers with poctures of little Willie Mosconi,6 or so years old

The story tolds about him running 15 balls on the 10 footer his first month of playing

No instruction ,no long routine of playing

If a player can't beat everybody in his home town ,by the time he has played a year
i doubt he will ever be any good

Back to Shannon,what did he do when he was not gambling on the pool table?

Playing poker

He was not practicing,he was not shooting drills, he was not worrying abo
ballance point on his cue, he was not herpo worshipping Jack Cooney asking how to play this shot

Shannon grew up about 30 miles from where I live although 4 or 5 years younger than me. There was a really strong player in Shannon’s home town he used to practice with. The guy said when Shannon was real young you could show him a shot and in 2 tries he could execute it.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Desire.

People often underestimate desire and overestimate everything else. Desire is the foundation upon which everything else is built. With it amazing things are possible despite deficits in other areas, without it the most amazing constructions of technique and strategy will crumble.

That is an absolute truth.
Extremely well put.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Of course there is such a thing. How a person is built, the muscle and nerve structure, reflexes, hand to eye coordination and a hundred other things are traits we are born with. Just like a person can be particularly adept at doing complex math, learning new languages, singing, jumping high or almost any athletic endeavor.

Nobody is born able to play pool at a high level but we all have different traits that either limit or accelerate our ability to improve with hard work.

Sent from the future.

Physical attributes is not talent. If I play basketball, being 6'5" is not talent in any way.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
I don’t think the question of what makes a top level pro can be considered at the individual level. To be a top level pro, you need to be able to compete with your peers. If the top 10 guys in the world all have natural talent, and they all put in 1000’s of hours of hard work, and you only have one of those things, you aren’t going to compete with them. Does anyone believe that SVB, Reyes, Strickland, Pagulayan, Filler, Shaw, Melling, etc don’t have natural talent? Does anyone believe they haven’t also spent their whole lives on the table? I think you’ll find that any competitive sport, regardless of financial motivation and public appreciation, is championed by people that tick both the boxes labeled talent and dedication.

And then you have tiers of natural talent, and the difference doesn’t have to be very big. You see minute differences in natural aptitude have enormous consequences in all aspects of life. 5 IQ points could be the difference between an Ivy League and a local university, which is the difference between connecting with future national leaders and connecting with local business leaders, which is the difference between landing in a Fortune 500 and landing in a borderline surviving franchise, which is the difference between earning an average income and being in the top 2%, which is the difference between building generational wealth and building wealth to cover your funeral costs. Likewise, having a 5% advantage in hand-eye coordination could mean 6 months less time mastering a particular shot, which leads to 6 months more time spent on something else, and so on. It’s compounding.