Fun drills

Crispy Fish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lately I've gotten tired of the sort of position drills where you have just a single shot and have to get the cueball to a specific location, such as this one:

CueTable Help

Instead I've been enjoying drills like this one, which involve a combination of position and shotmaking over several shots:

CueTable Help

(There should be a 9 between the 8 and 10... for some reason Wei won't show it.)

I find these drills keep my interest longer and work more aspects of the game -- kind of like a bench press works multiple muscles (bet you never heard pool compared to weight training before!)

Can anybody recommend some more drills along these lines?

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
I've been doing this one drill, which I'd swear I read about here, or from someone's link posted here.... I don't recall exactly.

Deal is, line up four balls from the head spot. Bust'em up, and sink'em all without missing, and repeat. Break and run the four balls five times to move on. If you miss, start over (meaning, if you'd B&R three sets of four, and were on the fourth set, and missed, you start over as being on the first set).

Once you've B&R four balls five times, move it up to five balls, rinse, repeat. Add a ball each time you can do five sets w/out a miss.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crispy Fish said:
Can anybody recommend some more drills along these lines?

CueTable Help

Check this drill from Kinister's "The Short Game" tape.

Run the balls in rotation. You cannot run into other balls. Kinister advocates coming off the back rail to get position.

I have been doing this drill for over three years, and I can say it is the drill that has thought me the most about cue ball control. Some of the shots become difficult as well if you get out of line.

Last edited:

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love this drill. Set em up randomly, run em numerically. A good way to warm up.

START(
%AY7E6%BY6Y8%Cg6O1%D]1Y6%EH8C9%Fm9D0%Gm8Z9%H\7E8%Ir7H8%Js0V0
%KC7I2%LO0O3%MH6Z7%NC8V0%O[0O5%Pi6T8
)END

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TX Poolnut said:
I love this drill. Set em up randomly, run em numerically. A good way to warm up.

CueTable Help

Here it is on the table for you. I would normally have to start over after shooting at the one. Forget the rest of the balls!

Cardinal2B

Connecticut Panhandler
Silver Member
Railroad Drill

Start behind the headstring with ball in hand. Shoot 'em all in w/o missing. When you've got it, move the balls on the rails a full diamond away from the pockets, then a diamond and a half, etc.
Best starting shot indicated.

Attachments

• RRdrill.jpg
    RRdrill.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 244

Cardinal2B

Connecticut Panhandler
Silver Member
no kick, no combo, no problem

ScottW said:
A drill that *starts* with a kick/combo?

I can't see any drills here that start with a kick or combo. Do you mean Railroad drill I posted? Sorry if I wasn't clear on this...

My suggested first shot is to directly pocket the 4 ball in the side, and carom off it to break up the three ball cluster on the footspot. No kick into any rail first, and no combination to sink the ball in the side pocket.

If it wasn't clear though, you can start anyway you want from behind the headstring.

The reason I suggest the shot depicted is that the biggest problems are the two balls (11 and 13) on the rails near the side pockets, and the cluster on the footspot. You can break up the cluster anytime of course, but why not at least try as early as possible when you have ball-in-hand behind the headstring? You can't miss the 4 ball in the side, and pretty natural center ball hit will get the cluster if you start in the right place and hit the 4 ball in the right place.

You could start by trying to bump the 11 off the rail while sinking the 4 - but IMO that's harder than hitting the cluster, and the reward isn't as good. So, I leave the 11 and 13 for later...bump them off the rail if I can, and if not, wait until the corner pockets are cleared and shoot them down the rail...

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
Ah, I see now. I thought the diagram was calling for a kick into the 1-ball in the cluster - not sinking the 4-ball first. :D

thekid14

Registered
ScottW said:
I've been doing this one drill, which I'd swear I read about here, or from someone's link posted here.... I don't recall exactly.

Deal is, line up four balls from the head spot. Bust'em up, and sink'em all without missing, and repeat. Break and run the four balls five times to move on. If you miss, start over (meaning, if you'd B&R three sets of four, and were on the fourth set, and missed, you start over as being on the first set).

Once you've B&R four balls five times, move it up to five balls, rinse, repeat. Add a ball each time you can do five sets w/out a miss.

got a quick question with this. do you sink the balls in order or just run them out however you can

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
thekid14 said:
got a quick question with this. do you sink the balls in order or just run them out however you can

Just any ol' order, straight-pool style.

Now if you want to be particularly masochistic, you can do'em in order... :)

Edit: Just to be safe, when I said "line up four balls from the head spot", I mean line them up along the long-axis of the table - i.e. when you're breaking from in the kitchen, you're aiming just for that first ball - the rest are lined up behind. Idea is just to bust'em up to a reasonable degree, so you don't have to break overly hard.

Last edited:

thekid14

Registered
ScottW said:
Just any ol' order, straight-pool style.

Now if you want to be particularly masochistic, you can do'em in order... :)

thanks alot ill have to try this tonite or tomorrow when im in a hall