OB or should I say SP

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
Maybe abandoning the straight line core/centralized balancing system isn't that bad of a thing. Within the past few years I've tried 3 different ob cues with the SLC (all black wrapless, curly maple with wrap, and coco sneaky pete)and with the maple cues, I found the stiffness to be uncomfortable and the cues awkwardly balanced. The sneaky pete played well and I used it for a while. The best OB cues of all were the older ones where joss built the butts imo

And those Joss made OBs had one piece cores. All Joss cues also have a one piece core, now. There goes the "cored butts play stiffer" theory.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I know he's just a single family operation and not a "company" so to speak; but I wonder what John Barton would have to say. I'd imagine he's got some pretty good insight into the quality of work done in China and such. (And - I'd have to think he thinks pretty highly of their work ethic.)

I don't think it matters what JB says. Nobody is saying OB cues are made in China. Nobody. Someone used China as an example of quality going down and I responded to him about something similar, but it has no bearing on OB cues. It was just talk about come companies cheapening up their products to increase profits by moving things overseas. Again, that is NOT what OB is doing, still made in good Old TEXAS.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know he's just a single family operation and not a "company" so to speak; but I wonder what John Barton would have to say. I'd imagine he's got some pretty good insight into the quality of work done in China and such. (And - I'd have to think he thinks pretty highly of their work ethic.)

Speaking of quality of work and attention to detail in China, let's see how many American cue makers can do this.

http://artdaily.com/news/35686/Taiw...re-Smaller-than-a-Grain-of-Rice-#.WRDWjzawdIA

Given the proper training, equipment, and materials, the Chinese can make anything as well as anyone else.

Richard Kapela

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm really curious to see OB's response as well. I ordered an OB-173 in January, am still waiting for delivery. I was told (by my local dealer, not OB) that OB had an equipment issue that delayed delivery of the new line for 2 months.

Once I get it, how can I tell which method was used to make it?

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link 'Eye' - The Chinese/Japanese are the masters of miniatures.

Back to China. Yes the Chinese are excellent at replicating and have become a CNC powerhouse which involves our equipment. Some are using materials ie: wood from USA. I have seen some very nice Chinese pool cues but....

Being an American, nothing beats buying a item or product ( Cue/Case) that was actually manufactured or handcrafted here in the good old 'USA' . Just something about 'Be American Buy American' that's the way I grew up.

I am a capitalist and entrepreneur but no question we are getting 'smoked' by cheap labor/material costs from out sourcing to other Countries and worse, other Countries materials and labor coming in.

Speaking of quality of work and attention to detail in China, let's see how many American cue makers can do this.

http://artdaily.com/news/35686/Taiw...re-Smaller-than-a-Grain-of-Rice-#.WRDWjzawdIA

Given the proper training, equipment, and materials, the Chinese can make anything as well as anyone else.

-Kat,

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Absolutely.

What gets Chinese manufacturers in trouble is that to cut costs (which is why American jobs are sent over their to begin with), they many times tend to use inferior materials.

That, and their patent infringements are pathetic.

Maniac

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you follow OB Cues on Facebook, they have responded to this thread on their fb page.
"A message from OB Cues:

In 2005 Don Owen and Royce Bunnell began OB Cues based on a quality product proudly built in the USA, Texas to be exact. A lot of things have changed over the years including Shane Sinnott joining the OB team in 2012 and the passing of Royce in 2015. In order to keep Royce’s legacy alive, Don and Shane decided to keep OB and its legacy of a great quality product growing strong. As with all change, good and bad, people can grow uneasy and rumors begin. Here at OB we aren’t interested in the rumors however we do want to make sure our loyal fan base understands what is happening here in Texas.

OB products have changed through the years. The way we build shafts now is not the same as when we first started, in 2005. We have made many changes along the way and we will continue to make changes. The way we build cues (handles) now is also different than in 2012 (when we first started building handles). Discovering and adopting improvements in methods and materials is important to any successful company. The quality of our products has always been and will continue to be a top priority. Thankfully the demand for OB cues and shafts continues to grow and we believe that growth relates, at least in part, to the quality standards we maintain.

We recently hired a production consultant, Dale Perry, to come in for 1 week to help us make some positive changes in our production department. For those who don’t know, Dale has been building cues for almost 30 years, was one of the founding members of the American Cuemakers Association and one of its board members for several terms. In 1 week, Dale and the OB team were able to find and implement multiple changes to machines, processes and productivity while never once decreasing the quality, durability or performance of any of the OB products.

However, when forming an opinion of our company and our products, should you take our word for it? Should you listen to rumors? We suggest that you decide for yourself and the best way to do that is to try an OB Cue or OB Shaft. They are proudly made in America by a team of dedicated people whose livelihoods depend on you, the pool player. We will continue to do everything in our power to earn your business and your respect.

Shane Sinnott, President & Don Owen, Co-founder"

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Kim for sharing Shane's FB post. It is what I expected the statement to read. What's he going to say?

I am sure DP gave them some ' Golden Nuggets' on how to crank production up while keeping production and overhead ie: Materials, Labor costs down.

-Kat,

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad they responded. Why not here though, they are usually very responsive.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just FYI, the company did not change hands. Royce's wife is on even par with Shane, even though Shane is President, and Don Owen is still a principal owner. I don't know the whole story here, but I hope it's not as bad as the OP states here.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Isnt OP's story just the typical American way of doing things when a company changes hands.

Last edited:

tbayplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I support you Kenne, nothing but a straight shooter. OB has made a horrendous choice having a sellout like Dale Perry have anything to do with production.

I have bought thousands of dollars of shafts and cues from OB and with Dale Perry onboard I just don't trust the direction OB is going.

Good luck with your cue making, I'm sure you will be working somewhere in the cue industry.

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Royce's wife is on even par with Shane, even though Shane is President, and Don Owen is still a principal owner.

Scott Lee

That's not what Mary Brunnell said on Facebook today. This is a cut & paste of her FB
post;

The B in OB Cues unfortunately died with Royce. Royce put customers first and building a quality cue for his customers was everything to him. Royce and I ran the business with honesty, ethics, and integrity, we would accept nothing else. That is not the case now. I was fired a year ago and they refuse to communicate with me about anything having to do with the company. Kenne is right, it's not the company Royce was so proud of and if he was here he would be pissed beyond belief. If you have a Royce made cue, cherish it because sadly that is gone.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not what Mary Brunnell said on Facebook today. This is a cut & paste of her FB
post;

The B in OB Cues unfortunately died with Royce. Royce put customers first and building a quality cue for his customers was everything to him. Royce and I ran the business with honesty, ethics, and integrity, we would accept nothing else. That is not the case now. I was fired a year ago and they refuse to communicate with me about anything having to do with the company. Kenne is right, it's not the company Royce was so proud of and if he was here he would be pissed beyond belief. If you have a Royce made cue, cherish it because sadly that is gone.

Whoa ! This post by royces wife raises red flags about what's going on with ob cues.

Any one know what percentage of the company Royce owned and what happened to that percentage when he passed away ?

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whoa ! This post by royces wife raises red flags about what's going on with ob cues.

Any one know what percentage of the company Royce owned and what happened to that percentage when he passed away ?

Now I'm sad.

Can someone post the link to her Facebook statement?