Ralph Eckert dropping some knowledge

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
That running 4 ball drill - returning to center table, is deceptively difficult. And it’s the easy version I’m struggling with lol. Good stuff though, I always like finding a terrible weakness

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starting about 15:10 where Ralph describes the "OK" time to pull the trigger on the shot is one of, if not THE most essential element of consistency in aiming and shot making. it is under estimated by most, not even mentioned in most instruction books, yet Ralph shows great insight into training by bringing this shot execution process right upfront in his training.
Consistently following a pre shot routine that is followed by that critical "final focus" as you actually let the cue stick go forward is so, so important in this game. It is, as Ralph mentions, "committing to the shot completely" His "OK" method of teaching this concept really simplifies the process.
Every book written on sports psychology talks about making a decision at the point of execution and committing to it- and as Ralph mentions, you evaluate the results AFTER the shot is complete- ALL MISSES result from either NOT internally saying "OK" and shooting when your aim is correct, or saying 'OK" to an incorrect perception of the correct aiming point. it is up to each person to figure out which decision resulted in a miss and correct that part of their game.
The book by Patrick Scott Smith- "ONE Minute guide to playing better pool" is my go to bible every time my game seems a bit off- he dedicates a very simple book to this entire concept only- and I agree when he says it is the number one area that can move ALL good players to a higher level if done consistently. I play at an A level if I employ this concept consistently and a B or even less whenever I fall off this wagon.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree Mike,being mentally between shots/ideas when your going to execute
is a recipe for disaster. Ralph explains this well.
The "tough shot is for the crowd and the next shot is for me" is another real gem I liked.
These two ideas can't be emphasized enough.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, actually I paid to get the app. Don't remember now what the cost was, but I think the app is well worth the money.

I remember this app to be free at the start, but when things get interesting, you of course have to start paying. Nothing wrong with that business model btw, I get that it worksa like that. Speaking for myself, I got access to other & similar content at that point.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starting about 15:10 where Ralph describes the "OK" time to pull the trigger on the shot is one of, if not THE most essential element of consistency in aiming and shot making. it is under estimated by most, not even mentioned in most instruction books, yet Ralph shows great insight into training by bringing this shot execution process right upfront in his training.
Consistently following a pre shot routine that is followed by that critical "final focus" as you actually let the cue stick go forward is so, so important in this game. It is, as Ralph mentions, "committing to the shot completely" His "OK" method of teaching this concept really simplifies the process.
Every book written on sports psychology talks about making a decision at the point of execution and committing to it- and as Ralph mentions, you evaluate the results AFTER the shot is complete- ALL MISSES result from either NOT internally saying "OK" and shooting when your aim is correct, or saying 'OK" to an incorrect perception of the correct aiming point. it is up to each person to figure out which decision resulted in a miss and correct that part of their game.
The book by Patrick Scott Smith- "ONE Minute guide to playing better pool" is my go to bible every time my game seems a bit off- he dedicates a very simple book to this entire concept only- and I agree when he says it is the number one area that can move ALL good players to a higher level if done consistently. I play at an A level if I employ this concept consistently and a B or even less whenever I fall off this wagon.

I viewed the whole video of course, cause I like Rollie's stuff a lot, and at first I found myself expecting the fun of dr Dave's episode and was maybe a bit disappointed at this to be a litle dryer... I still enjoyed it a lot, mainly because of reasons you mentioned.

Eckert's whole approach of 'things happen for a reason' (and the reason is then scientifically explained, of course) just rings very true to me. That whole paradigm helped me so much with my progress in the game, and a lot is thanks to Ralph. Dry German as he may be.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

nice one mike
I admit my psr relies most on feel
but I fully realize that there are right and wrong times to shoot
always see it after
and am getting better at seeing it before
thanks for the book reco
will keep an eye out for that too-

edit: and thanks to the OP for posting the knowledge link! gonna try them center field jawns

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rollie's videos are great. I would like to see him do one with Corey, Schmidt or Max.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all of the mystical, magical game of pool, if there is a more valuable lesson than the "OK Lesson," I hope the person who knows it will be kind enough to share it.

Steve Dickey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've enjoyed all Rollie's videos so far and looking forward to more. If you have not seen some of Eckert's videos on reference lines, take a look for them on YouTube.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know in past videos Rollie has mentioned snooker. Might also be cool to have him meet with Nic Barrow.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, this is my tip of the day, maybe of the year, thanks Mike.

There has been something missing in my final approach to the shot that has built in some inconsistencies in my shooting. This seems to be great advice so I’m going to add to the mix.

Also, thanks Ralph.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Another Rollie video with Emily Duddy has her give a (shock!) GREAT piece of advice...shoot the money ball with leave in mind...shooting just to make it leaves out critical brain power and leaves too much out. That's actually great insight and I can't remember anyone ever pointing this out. Ralph Eckert is an awesome instructor, would love to get a lesson from him...but my time in Europe is pretty limited these days. :)

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Another Rollie video with Emily Duddy has her give a (shock!) GREAT piece of advice...shoot the money ball with leave in mind...shooting just to make it leaves out critical brain power and leaves too much out. That's actually great insight and I can't remember anyone ever pointing this out. Ralph Eckert is an awesome instructor, would love to get a lesson from him...but my time in Europe is pretty limited these days. :)

It was that thought process that led to the ‘even 8 ball’ game I made. Thinking of reasons to still be controlling the cue ball while making the 8.

I don’t know much at all about Ralph but just from that video I like him. I’d definitely look him up if I found myself over there

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another Rollie video with Emily Duddy has her give a (shock!) GREAT piece of advice...shoot the money ball with leave in mind...shooting just to make it leaves out critical brain power and leaves too much out. That's actually great insight and I can't remember anyone ever pointing this out. ...

Emily is far from first with that advice.