Even 8 ball

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Just throwing this out there because.

So I started doing this while practicing 8 ball and eventually I made a little game of it for friendly gambling as it allows both some table time and a chance to get in stroke.

It’s just regular 8 ball but after someone sinks the 8 it goes back up on the foot spot and the other person has a chance to run out their balls, if they do then it’s a wash and no money changes or with one dude we make a side pot for the next break and run. If it’s a set then no one scores. If they miss then you won that rack.

It seems real easy for the person “cleaning up” but the 4th dimension is to make it more difficult during the rack by trying to bump their balls into bad spots, and leaving the cue ball on the rail etc. if you are both on the 8 you can try to leave the QB on the foot spot so that the 8 is frozen in line behind it.

It’s pretty cool and definitely adds pressure during the rack to not just “get out” and have all your work wasted, you have to absolutely crush the fool.

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So I started doing this while practicing 8 ball and eventually I made a little game of it for friendly gambling as it allows both some table time and a chance to get in stroke.

It’s just regular 8 ball but after someone sinks the 8 it goes back up on the foot spot and the other person has a chance to run out their balls, if they do then it’s a wash and no money changes or with one dude we make a side pot for the next break and run. If it’s a set then no one scores. If they miss then you won that rack.

It seems real easy for the person “cleaning up” but the 4th dimension is to make it more difficult during the rack by trying to bump their balls into bad spots, and leaving the cue ball on the rail etc. if you are both on the 8 you can try to leave the QB on the foot spot so that the 8 is frozen in line behind it.

It’s pretty cool and definitely adds pressure during the rack to not just “get out” and have all your work wasted, you have to absolutely crush the fool.

It actually sounds fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Yeah it can be. It is real satisfying when you use your opponents ball to get position and leave it tied up afterwards. And then during the clean up sometimes you have to come with wild shots since it’s do or die runout.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Jazzy Eight

Best idea I’ve heard for 8-ball since last-pocket

:thumbup2:

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL, that's how me and my granddaughter play, after I make mine I have to make hers too and then I have to scratch on the 8 as well or she wins. She's already a shark at 7 1/2! :eek:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Thanks pt...last pocket can be :banghead:

And chili I like that too lol although not quite the same. Must scratch on the 8 is kinda cool...like turning the world inside out.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks pt...last pocket can be :banghead:

And chili I like that too lol although not quite the same. Must scratch on the 8 is kinda cool...like turning the world inside out.

LOL, yeah, slightly different.

We used to play cutthroat that way. If you wanted to shoot your ball to keep going then you had to run out the opponents balls then make the rest of your balls to win, or you lose and aren't allowed back in that game. That was fun.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a try.

I came up with a different way to bet 8 ball but it just further buries the person who lost. There is the initial bet on the game itself. Then there is a value placed on the balls the loser didn't put down. Might play a game for $5 and then $1.00 for every opponents ball put down after the initial win.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen a few “alternative games” threads lately so I’m resurrecting this old thread from my younger days, back in twenty oh nineteen, since it’s still a cool game to me and has withstood the test ‘o time.

Also, Iusedtoberich...you be slackin on the 2020 ghost scores ��

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sounds interesting, but a couple questions to avoid my own confusion.

After you have pocketed the 8 ball, the incoming player gets only 1 inning to run all their balls and pocket the 8, correct?

Also.... After you have pocketed the 8 ball, does the incoming player start with ball-in-hand or do they play the cue ball from its current position?

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Great way to play. What I like most about it is that when you are running out you have to make lots of micro decisions to either run out pure or run out safe.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

I like this, especially because of the bold "4th dimension" element. Gonna try it sometime. Seems like a good spot to get some action from players that would typically not want the action.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Sounds interesting, but a couple questions to avoid my own confusion.

After you have pocketed the 8 ball, the incoming player gets only 1 inning to run all their balls and pocket the 8, correct?

Also.... After you have pocketed the 8 ball, does the incoming player start with ball-in-hand or do they play the cue ball from its current position?

Correct. The player getting the “second chance” has only that 1 inning to try to run out.

And the incoming player plays the cue ball where it lies. Though of course you can change up whatever you like.

I like this game because you can play it more loosely, where you just try to run out and then not worry so much about the cue ball when you make the 8. This would be good maybe for warming up before league with a teammate. You’re still playing competitively but both get a chance to run some balls.

Or you can play it really aggressively and risk some of your own shots during your run to make sure you’re tying up your opponents balls while getting position off them, sticking the cue ball in the rack area, etc

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would like this game more if the other guy had two choices, leave the game as is and if you are paying for $ to just pay the $ for the loss. Or attempt to run out his side and if he wins it's even or he owes the first "winner" of the game another 50% on the bet. So there is not just "you must do this" it's another gamble chance you can take, can I run out and owe nothing or fail and owe more. However I would only do this on a break and run since doing this when the table is mostly clear is a bit silly.

If the bet is $10 and a guy breaks and runs out, the opponent then either pays the $10 or puts up $15 and tries the run out on his side of the balls, if he does it, it's $0, if he does not, he pays up the $15. Or do it where if he runs out he owes 1/2 since the other guy did win, and if he fails the run out he owes the extra 50%.

Last edited: