The Holy Grail is not Kamui Chalk

Pangit

Banned
Practice is the Holy Grail. Buy a 28 dollar chunk of chalk and suddenly you are Efren "Bata" Reyes. Who is the marketing manger? Sign him up. A fool and his money are soon parted. Give any top level pro a simple piece of Master/Brunswick Chalk.....and whip out your fancy Kamui chalk and see what happens.

It ain't the arrow....it's the archer.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Even an archer can't shoot straight with an inferior arrow.

What do you think of layered tips and LD shafts?

Evolution, or become the dinosaur.

Practice is the Holy Grail. Buy a 28 dollar chunk of chalk and suddenly you are Efren "Bata" Reyes. Who is the marketing manger? Sign him up. A fool and his money are soon parted. Give any top level pro a simple piece of Master/Brunswick Chalk.....and whip out your fancy Kamui chalk and see what happens.

It ain't the arrow....it's the archer.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hate to get all medical on folks again but.....

Picture a surgeon with a dull, rusty scalpel.....:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Um...yeah....not so much eh? :rolleyes:

Why does an opthalmologist use titanium forceps that cost $1000? Aren't the surgical stainless ones almost as good?

Yes, it's the indian. But I would propose that every little performance edge counts especially at the highest levels of performance.

Is it magic pixie dust? No. Is it excellent chalk? I think it is. Would I buy it? No. But if I were a pro or putting money on the table and I liked that chalk hell yes I would buy it.

Yeah...I'll see your $28 chalk and raise you $1000 for a pair of tweezers. LOL! :D

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't tried Kamui chalk and I don't plan to but this chalk may not be everything that it is cracked up to be.

I've heard a rumor that a number of pro players are complaining about the Kamui chalk because it sticks to everything, including the balls and the cloth, not only your cue tip. If that is the case, this stuff may not be the Holy Grail of pool that some think.

blucollar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It actually does stick to EVERYTHING..balls, cloth, your teeth, etc...it does however stay on your tip longer but this is something that can be solved by simply chalking your tip on every or every other shot..a task that every pool player is habitually addicted to with or without kamui chalk...bottom line is you're gonna chalk your tip whether using kamui or not so save the $30 per cube and buy yourself or a pretty lady a couple drinks and get on with your game. Kamui makes great products BUT they are notorious for ripping you off with high prices (see kamui black tips for this)

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
The same goes for buying any fancy cue? buy a straight cue from Meucci and practice real hard?
this is endless argument...can afford it and think it helps then do as you please. I for one like my Kamui chalk and would save up for a nice fancy Hercek or Showman..

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Was playing in a local little tournament last nite. Went to rack the balls and had to spend 5 minutes wiping all the little marks off the balls. They looked like they had the measles! Turns out, some guy was using Kamui chalk on that table. Made a mess of the balls.

Ive seen it all over the cue ball... even worse if someone uses it after every shot. Stuff does make a mess. That is the major negative I have with the stuff... can see some of the pros (cough...Archer... cough) having a fit in regards to that.

15cherries

15cherries
Silver Member
base coat

the best post I have read on this subject is the one that explains the theory of using Kamui the first time you chalk as a base coat and using masters the rest of the night, your Kamui will last for ever and you do not get the mess. I do this and it works well and if it helps I am not sure but I am sure it doesn't hurt.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Give any top level pro a simple piece of Master/Brunswick Chalk.....and whip out your fancy Kamui chalk and see what happens.

Since you've told us you're a pro, when can we expect the gamble to begin?

LuckedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't tried Kamui chalk yet but who knows I might.

How many swipes does it take to extinguish an entire cube.....how much $ per ball pocketed might be a valid question.

I know that many here have spent many hundreds if not thousands of dollars on their cues/tables etc. Why not good chalk?

If a $20 tip lasts a long time and gives good results, why not coat it with $25 chalk that might last for two tips?

It's all relative, some folks will spend $4-7 per drink all night long on stupid mixed drinks that leave you feeling like doodoo in the morning but gripe about chalk that might cost them 10-30 cents/evening :rolleyes:

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As the saying goes "opinions are like assholes and everyone has one". These boards have a lot of both...lol

Where are the mods to lock and close the 10 threads about the same subjects that are always on the first page?

I haven't been around the boards for a long time but how long do dead mules usually get beaten around here? Did the threads about $20 tips versus $0.50 tips last a decade?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I'm not a top level pro, in fact I'm a geezer and a hack at that. I did buy one cube while at SBE. Reason, well because... I have no intention of using it up. The habit of walking around the table, chalking and seeing the next few shots are too ingrained to change.

I do use it for a base as 15Cherries said, then use the Blue Diamond which is my favorite over it. The other use is in practice. Shooting a hand full of balls one after the other with stun shots, round and round. Or using an Accu-stroke 25 times in a row. Bing,bing. Thats when it's useful.

I don't think I would ever use it in a real game.

Now that Kamui black soft, that's another story. I love that tip.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was playing in a local little tournament last nite. Went to rack the balls and had to spend 5 minutes wiping all the little marks off the balls. They looked like they had the measles! Turns out, some guy was using Kamui chalk on that table. Made a mess of the balls.

Was he hitting all the balls instead of the cueball? Does Kamui chalk put chalk marks on the *object* balls?

KMRUNOUT

champ2107

Banned
The marks came off very easy. What I'm thinking they were, was that there was little "grease" marks on the balls that picked up the regular chalk from the cloth. I do not know if he was just hitting the ob around, or if they were marks transferred from the cb to the ob. Either way, it's not a good thing to have happening. Especially at the price of that chalk.

i have noticed when ever i decide to pull out my kamui chalk, it does leave decent sizes marks on the object balls.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Neil:

I hear ya, man. On Thursday, I had some time to get into a nice ring game after league play. Same exact thing -- *one guy* was using this Kamui Chalk, and the cue ball was a mess. It looked like a blue version of a measle ball. And, before long, this was transferring to the object balls! Mind you, this is a nice pool hall, with Gold Crown IIIs impeccably maintained (the Joss tour stops here), and the balls cleaned or polished after every customer's use. So it's not like we were "pinning" normal built-up wear and tear from multiple customers on this guy. Nope, those balls either get wiped down by hand, or go into the polisher after each customer turns them in.

The rest of us in the ring game (who were not using Kamui Chalk obviously) wanted to strangle this guy, because the balls were skidding like crazy after that. We FORCED him to use either Masters, Blue Diamond, my Russian Magic Chalk, or, gosh, anything but that Kamui stuff. And he didn't play any better or worse after that, either. Talk about a placebo!

I don't care how good this stuff is -- it very quickly (and I mean, VERY quickly) makes a mess on the balls.

Plus, who wants to have to alter their pre-shot routine, to include a "counting regimen" of shots *not* to chalk prior, to avoid "using the Kamui Chalk too much"?

-Sean

Last edited: