Boriz Cues - Made in the Philippines

andrewnormore

Registered
Hello Everyone,

I have had an opportunity recently to get back into playing pool. I have found a team in my local league and I'm ready to go.

I sold all of my cues when I first moved away and so I started shopping ebay for a low cost solution. I have become obsessed with getting the best deal.

I finally placed a bid on a Boriz cue, made in the Philippines. I once bought a Richmond cue and thought highly of it.

I have not found a review from somebody who has actually shot with one of these cues but I have noticed quite a few sold, and a few people from the US selling them.

Can anybody shed some light on these cues from first hand experience?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Let me make two comments about what I have observed about Made in the Philippines, that have come to live in Hot, Dry No Humidity Arizona.

Many of the Cuemakers in the Philippines do not build in climate controled shops, so when these Cues arrrive in Arizona many warp even if they are taken care of by the new owner.

Many of the Cue I have seen that were made in the Philippines are just great s far as workmanship goes.

But if you live in Arizona think about the problem mentioned above about warping bcause of are unique Dry Climate..

andrewnormore

Registered
Climate

I live in Newfoudland, Canada. We have a very moist climate so I don't think I'll have too much concern in that regard. However, it is interesting to note that the seller offers free shaft replacement if the shaft is warped due to the change in climate shipping overseas.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A NEWFIE on AZ holy mutha of god what are things coming to?? Welcome aboard did ya bring some SKREECH?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These are lower grade cues from Pampanga, an area where there are many local makers. Some of the better PI cue makers got there start there I believe and there are a lot of cue making "roots" there from what I know.

They are "fun" cues. Novelties. Not great cues. You may get one that plays decent...and you may get one that lasts...but more likely not. Construction quality, materials, and methods are all generally marginal in this genre of cues.

If you want a good player you can certainly do much better, even in that price range. If you prefer a cue from PI there are some excellent makers....but this isn't them.

andrewnormore

Registered
I appreciate the comments and I am aware of what everybody is saying. The thing I would really like to know is if anybody has any first had experience with this particular manufacturer?

Also, I'm either going to fit this cue with a Predator 314-2 as I have used in the past, or the Katana shaft, as the reviews of the Katana shaft seem promising and it's pretty much half price of the Predator when I include shipping and customs charges. I've heard comments such as "a predator shaft can make a good cue out of a broom handle."

Any thoughts?

andrewnormore

Registered
Also, given the fact that I am in Newfoundland and I have to order a cue from the internet without being able to hold it, what would you call a "good cue" in the $100 price range? Keeping in mind that I will fit it with a LD shaft.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just really excited to be conversing with people who are knowledgable about cues.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't leave home without my screech!

Well for all the uninitiated if you want to get caught up on the Newfoundland style of life you need to get a copy of Farley Mowat's book, The Boat Who Wouldn't Float! Prior to reading this one should have some rudimentary knowledge of sailing after that it's all good fun. In fact it is one funny as hell book! I went swordfishing on The Grand Banks back in the 70's and had some of the greatest experiences of my life visiting the maritime provinces of Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. Green rep & smooth sailing my friend, hope you find a great cue!
Dan

resurrecta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a Boriz cue. I knew it was from Pampanga but I wanted to see how good work was.
Well, the butt looks decent. Inlays and overlays are pretty well taken care of. Not the best, not the worst.
The cue is 60' in total, so that's a bit of a difference.
The only thing bothering on my cue was the grip. It was a snake skin, but it was very unfinished. It felt way too raw to play with. I don't have good things to say about the grip. I can have linnen put on locally here for 60 dollars. So I might have that done eventually.
Other than the grip, the butt is pretty good. Also a decent balance.

The shaft however, indeed... Try to get a decent aftermarket shaft because these Pampanga cues are heavily varnished on the shaft to prevent warping. If you play with a glove, then it's ok. But I can't play with it, I had to have it turned down a bit to get past the varnish layer.

So overall.... If you get one, don't get one with snakeskin and be prepared to use an other aftermarket shaft.
It's still a good cue in the 60-100 dollars range.

andrewnormore

Registered
Thanks for the feedback resurrecta. Indeed a will be purchasing an aftermarket shaft and I have ordered the model with irish linen wrap. I'm glad to hear from someone who has shot one.

My plan is to purchase the 5/16 x 18 Predator 314 or Katana and if I don't like the balance then I'm going to order another cue from the same area, with the same joint, until I find something I'm comfortable with. My experience has been that if I keep the original shaft unchalked, I shouldn't have a problem getting my $60 back on it if I don't like it and want to sell it.

resurrecta

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad to have helped. A tiny suggestion from my part, if you have a 59' or 60' cue, you may want to consider getting the one inch longer 314 because the original shaft is also an inch longer.
I'm not making advertisements, but as an easy reference, I know Seyberts can provide the longer 314 with matched collar work for those cues.
Anyhow, once you get it. Let me know what you think, ;)

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
huh?

Call me silly but, why not just buy a cue made in North America. There are plenty for a good price.

What the hell is screech.........

Kim

samiun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend have two custom from there, but not Boriz cue. The cue bend in just 4 month at the forearm section near the joint of the butt, and another one that took another month to bend at the shaft. So I just suggesting you to choose the cue maker from there carefully.

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
I spent 30 days in the Philippines in 2011, with much time spent visiting cuemakers. I highly recommend Tony Bautista for quality and a lotta bang for the buck. If you use a LD shaft a lot of your problems will be eliminated. I ordered a Mezz Alpha Hybrid shaft and Tony installed matching ringwork. The shaft was VERY pricey at $300 but it IS a top quality curly maple shaft. Just a bit stiff for my tastes but it would please many players.

Joyren here on AZ is a good, honest representative for Tony. Treated me like a brother. Great communication and many updates on progress. Everything to my specs and a computer generated design process...Tom

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Richmond Cue

I bought a Rcihmond cue on ebay a couple years ago. Shipping was relatively fast. The shaft had a slight lift just below the ferule. I sent them pictures, and they send me a new shaft. The 2nd one rolled true as did the butt, i had to sent them other specs on the butt so the shaft rolled true also when screwed to the butt.

Overall a very solid cue and nice player.
As far as appearance and workmanship-it was beautiful. Nice feel and weight (obviously personal taste). It also came with matching joint protectors.

I played with it for a while, then moved to a different cue and a 314 shaft.

Cue was very attractive and I sold it for about what i paid for it.

Good luck, and help this helps.

Yes, I'd recommend Richmond cues due to their service and overall quality for the money.

SeoulCityDan

Boriz cues

I bought a lot of 6 cues 2 at a time.
The first 2 were okay, but not great.
The inlay work was pretty good for the price.
They hit relatively well but unremarkable
The shafts are absolute garbage and 5 out the 6 were noticeably warped
1 had a crooked screw joint
4 out of the 6 came with shafts that were made of some unknown odd colored wood and hit like garbage. 4 out of the 6 also had warped butts.
They advertise "bidding on the picture shown" on eBay and 13mm tip and on one another site they advertise "one of a kind design" and " rolls perfectly straight (not twisted like other seller's cues)", 58.5 inches.
All of this is untrue and unethical for them to claim such things.
Imagine my surprise when I took these out of the parcel package and looked at them. Also a lifetime warranty on the shaft for $20.00 to just get another warped shaft is just plain ignorant. I contacted the seller to rectify the issues and have gotten no response...big surprise there.
I would NOT recommend these cues unless you have a cold winter and need some good kindling for the fireplace.
There are plenty of American cue makes and models, namely McDermott, that are much better in value and especially quality. No I am not a McDermott rep.

SeoulCityDan

Boriz review

I had so many problems with the shipping and tracking of these cues from the seller as well. They also offered me a full refund but I had to pay to ship them back??!!

Last edited: