Anybody else have trouble being a front runner?

rackmsuckr

Linda Carter - The QUEEN!
Silver Member
I had a problem last weekend of leading 6-2 in a race to 7 and blew it. I had beaten this gal 7-0 the prior tournament, so I guess I must have relaxed, although I didn't think I did. She plays well and she is one player I took under my wing several years ago and showed her a lot of safeties...which of course she used on me to win. :eek:

I came out of the gate strong. When I led 6-2, I don't remember what started turning the tide, but there are 3 games I do remember.

One was I rolled a little deep on the 8, (about a 75 degree back cut) but it was a simple matter of potting the shot and I would get natural shape on the 9 in the same pocket. While I was down on the shot, I noticed a huge black smudge on the cueball (from when it hit a pocket when she launched it off the table on the break) and thought I should probably get the ref to remove it and then I thought, "Nah, I can make this anyway." Of course I hung it, then the ref cleaned it and she got out.

I did take a break when it was 6-5 after she slopped a 9 ball in 3 rails on a flyer.

When it was hill-hill, I couldn't believe she didn't get out because she came at the 8 at the wrong angle and all she had to do was slow roll with a slough stroke to stay on the right side of the 9, or draw over one rail and back, but she elected to play safe on the 8.

The 8 ended up in the middle of the table, with the cueball 10 degrees off from the side pocket shot, with whitey going the wrong way, away from the 9. So I tried to pound the ball with outside english and go 3 rails, but it came up short, so I had a horrendous back cut long rail bank. The smart thing was to play safe, but I guess I was on tilt by then and decided to take the winning shot. I also thought if I just banked it to the middle of the rail, she would probably have either an easy safe or make the bank.

I double kissed and she made a good shot under pressure to take the set. Do you ever let them get away like that?

Last edited:

Handsumm

Banned
No, never. I never lost a match when I was in front, and I never lost a match when I was behind.

Of course I have! It's tough to sit in the electric chair to watch your opponent make you feel that you being up by so much was a fluke. I like it the other way around though:D

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rackmsuckr said:
I had a problem last weekend of leading 6-2 in a race to 7 and blew it. I had beaten this gal 7-0 the prior tournament, so I guess I must have relaxed, although I didn't think I did. She plays well and she is one player I took under my wing several years ago and showed her a lot of safeties...which of course she used on me to win. :eek:

I came out of the gate strong. When I led 6-2, I don't remember what started turning the tide, but there are 3 games I do remember.

One was I rolled a little deep on the 8, (about a 75 degree back cut) but it was a simple matter of potting the shot and I would get natural shape on the 8 in the same pocket. While I was down on the shot, I noticed a huge black smudge on the cueball (from when it hit a pocket when she launched it off the table on the break) and thought I should probably get the ref to remove it and then I thought, "Nah, I can make this anyway." Of course I hung it, then the ref cleaned it and she got out.

I did take a break when it was 6-5 after she slopped a 9 ball in 3 rails on a flyer.

When it was hill-hill, I couldn't believe she didn't get out because she came at the 8 at the wrong angle and all she had to do was slow roll with a slough stroke to stay on the right side of the 9, or draw over one rail and back, but she elected to play safe on the 8.

The 8 ended up in the middle of the table, with the cueball 10 degrees off with whitey going the wrong way, away from the 9. So I tried to pound the ball with outside english and go 3 rails, but it came up short, so I had a horrendous back cut long rail bank. The smart thing was to play safe, but I guess I was on tilt by then and decided to take the winning shot. I also thought if I just banked it to the middle of the rail, she would probably have either an easy safe or make the bank.

I double kissed and she made a good shot under pressure to take the set. Do you ever let them get away like that?

Hi Linda,

Yeah, I have that problem sometimes also. I get way ahead and all of a sudden I might lose focus or start doing low-percentage stuff instead of the solid pool that got me to the hill in the first place. Spanish Pete gave me a tip that helped me a lot on this. He said that when he gets to the hill he pretends that he's still got five more games to win.

Now, when I get ahead by a lot I might still give away a game due to carelessness, but I rarely let it get away entirely. Of course, sometimes one mistake is all the opponent needs, and that's what you've got to keep in mind. Just as when you're behind you are thinking, "Just let me get one chance and I can get back in this match," the opponent is thinking the same thing when you are the one in front! Strive mightily to strangle your opponent completly and give him/her no chance to turn the tables. The Japanese counterpart to Sun Tzu's Art of War, the Book of Five Rings, calls it 'holding down the pillow'. It recognizes that fact that any letup on your part allows the opponent to potentially snatch victory from the jaws of defeat!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a frontrunner. If i get behind i rarely win and if i get ahead, im usually set.

42NateBaller

AKA "Drambuie Dave"
Silver Member
Of course it's nice to be a front runner with nothing but crushing your opponent on your mind, but that doesn't always happen.

Thinking back, I remember a few instances that I let up a little to give somebody a break, and then either didn't or had a hard time getting back in stroke.

I also remember a couple times where I figured I had the match in the bag and started planning my next match or my evening or whatever.

I try to remind myself that it's easier and more fun to make all the right moves to beat an opponent as badly as possible. It shows respect for the game and your oppenent to never let up.

Best wishes to you on your next go 'round!

Da Poet

Pool is Cool
Silver Member
Linda, as talented as you are, I'm sure you've dished out more than your share of come from behind victories! :D

Obviously, you could whip the crap out of me, but this is the kind of thing anyone can identify with. Most of the time when I lose after being up it's because I changed either my game plan or my intensity level, or sometimes a change in one causes a change in the other.

I think losing after being up is universally the most gut wrenching feeling in pool. :mad:

Last edited:

Mr. J

Jeff Jimenez
Silver Member
Why this is happening...

You have three problems why this is happening....

TOO MUCH FOOD IN THE FRIDGE...

TOO MUCH GAS IN THE TANK...

TOO MUCH MONEY IN THE BANK...

When you come up with the fix...let us all know my dear...

Jeffy :)

Adanac67

Predator=Awesome
Silver Member
Hey Jeff.

What you say here is so true. I make way too much money at work now so that "shooting like you're hungry" bit just isn't there. I played my best pool when I was laid off from work and played to help with the income.

Tom Cicchitti had a saying that rang true and I am living proof, "A wife and a steady job have ruined many a good pool player." Truer words were never spoken.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Linda, like your easter avatar.
Sure, I think it happens to just about everybody once in a while. It's happened to me and most serious players that I know. Sometimes, as Fast Eddie says, "the balls roll funny for everybody, sometimes", or words to that effect. I think it's not good to dwell on the reasons too long, I try to accept that it happened and move on.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
You Can Do It!

rackmsuckr said:
I had a problem last weekend of leading 6-2 in a race to 7 and blew it. ........and she made a good shot under pressure to take the set.

Do you ever let them get away like that?

Sure, everyone has had that happen to them.

Linda, you have some very good and close resources for this type of knowledge but here goes mine anyway.

Taking a page out of one of my chapters of pool psychology: You might consider doing what I did. Not too long ago, I was a notorious slow starter. It took me forever to get competitive and I almost looked forward to getting beat on before catching a gear. Often, time simply ran out and the person who was ahead stayed ahead as the set or match ended. I decided to make this weakness my greatest strength and from then on and even now I make it my business to come out of the gate strong and hard fighting for every ball, not just every game. Often our resolve is not enough when the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

You may simply decide to change and make closing out the match your greatest strength.

Good luck.

YOU CAN DO IT!

JoeyA ( the rah-rah man)

buzzsaw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing Louie Roberts in a tournament once and I had him stuck 8 - 2 going to 9. I was shooting the 7 ball and really had an easy out. For one moment I went brain dead and missed the 7. That was the last time I got to the table. Needless to say I wasn't a happy camper after that.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just ran into an opponent who pulled a Silky Sullivan on you.:D

For those who are unfamiliar with the reference, Silky was a thoroughbred who would dawdle 20 lengths behind then put on a charge to circle the field.

thekid14

Registered
For me personally id rather be down... the local tournament around here does races to 4. Ive never won a set where i was up 3-0 however ive won probably 75% of the time when im down 0-3. If im up im way to lax. I know it, but i just cant change it

StormHotRod300

BigSexy
Silver Member
Oh yea, I've been there before.

I refer to it as Quicksand!

Your playing just fine, and then something goes wrong, and then another and another and no matter what you do you just cant escape. Just like quicksand.

I've had it before when I am on the hill, and the person I am playing has 1 or 2 games and then gets a roll or a slop 9, and it just builds.

But I've also come back from being down 6-1 when my opponent is on the hill, and I just get all the rolls and my opponent cant seem to run 2 balls.

It's like what Linda says, you almost go on TILT or hit the panic button, and just start firing at everything praying for the miracle shot.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
its happened to me a few times, but i dont have a hard time getting off the hill, i just take it one shot at a time, i usually ignore the score, less to think about, the less distractions the easier it is to do what matters, shoot a perfect shot and stay in line the score will sort it self out.

Takumi4G63

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great thread. Plenty of people have the problem you are describing. For me, sometimes I am playing really good and I start saying to myself, "damn, you're playing pretty good." That's when I lose focus and sometimes blow a match. Sometimes it's missing an easy shot or position play, or going for a low percentage shot when you have an easy safety simply because you feel like you have the match. It's all about playing the table and focusing on every shot and nothing more like winning the match or what your opponent might do to you if you let him/her back. If you can bring yourself to this level of concentration you will be doing very well.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have problems being a front-runner too... Come to think about it, I also have trouble coming from behind! I knew I should have gone to college!