What do you do when you feel like you HAVE to take a low percentage shot?

Impact Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I get this urge to shoot in rotation games, usually a combo or carom, attacking full speed to try and set the momentum of a set. I would say with honesty that it's usually a higher percentage out, but it's not 100%. And maybe it's not the smartest thing to do, especially when there is a possibility of a deadlock safe.

What are your guys' thoughts. I've really tried to adopt the whole "don't bother shooting if you think you're going to miss," philosophy, but these are misses that could be avoided. But if they're cinched, the confidence is always huge.

All opinions welcomed. Thanks.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes I get this urge to shoot in rotation games, usually a combo or carom, attacking full speed to try and set the momentum of a set. I would say with honesty that it's usually a higher percentage out, but it's not 100%. And maybe it's not the smartest thing to do, especially when there is a possibility of a deadlock safe.

What are your guys' thoughts. I've really tried to adopt the whole "don't bother shooting if you think you're going to miss," philosophy, but these are misses that could be avoided. But if they're cinched, the confidence is always huge.

All opinions welcomed. Thanks.

There's something to be said about being aggressive. I think if you're going to be successful at this game, you should WANT to shoot, not duck. However, I also think it's important to properly weigh that out. When I have a huge lead, I find the healthiest attitude to have is to wonder if I'll ever get another opportunity again. I could be up 8-0 and the thought going through my head is, "Boy, I better not mess up next time. I don't want this guy putting a run together."

If you ignore percentage-play, you're going to eventually pay for it. Perhaps you allow a window for someone to mount a comeback against you or your comeback percentage diminishes. There are times when you can get away with the low percentage or the situation allows you to justify letting the balls sail but you have to appreciate the fact that these shots are not textbook.

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Low percentage shot? I usually miss it a high percentage of the time! I think it is good for you to want to shoot. I think it was Grady(maybe it was Billy) who said if you have a hard shot and a fairly hard safe, shot the shot.

And Danny DiLiberto said that there's no reason to sell out the game on a "phony safe". If you're in a spot where you have a super tough safe and no shot, sometimes it's better to blast the balls, or ride the nine.

Aggression is often well paid in rotation games...

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
From what you describe above, low percentage of making the ball, but high percentage of getting a lock up safe, I will ALWAYS play the safe.
It's about controlling the game. You're dictating what will go on, not them, and not leaving it to chance.

Strong safety play IS good play. If you nail your safe, then you nailed your shot.

Conversely, if the percentages are close to even on the shot/safe, then always, always go for the shot. The pay off is potentially better. If you miss the shot, you at least went for it. If you miss the safe, you didn't go for it, and they still have a shot.

my $.02

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I think it has a lot to do with player's obsession with run outs and high runs. When I watch some people play, it would seem as though some rather lose the game than not run out. You need to do what you gotta do to win, not all games are won pretty.

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do like I do when I play 1-Pocket.

Look for a really good shot.

When I've found it, I look for a better one.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
What if no matter what you do it is low percentage?

BVal

Well as it has been over a year since you saw me play, maybe like 16 months or more, & I could have learn a few tricks. :D

But the last time I was at Kolby's on a Sunday I took SECOND, and the only one who beat me was the LEGEND "SHORTS". I almost force him to a second set as he was in the hot seat. :D

That ain't bad because I think when I was collecting my SECOND PLACE money BVal was long gone home.:wink:

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well as it has been over a year since you saw me play, maybe like 16 months or more, & I could have learn a few tricks. :D

But the last time I was at Kolby's on a Sunday I took SECOND, and the only one who beat me was the LEGEND "SHORTS". I almost force him to a second set as he was in the hot seat. :D

That ain't bad because I think when I was collecting my SECOND PLACE money BVal was long gone home.:wink:
I have never actually seen you play EVER! The only time I actually ever met you was at the Desert Dust Off and even then you failed to introduce yourself. It wasn't until days later that I actually knew I met you. I have been waiting to see you at the same tourney I have been at for years now CooCoo. Hell you even said you beat me once when in fact we have never actually met. I think you really need to see a doctor and get your memory checked. Seriously.

I have talked to people that have seen you play recently and unless you are "laying down" BIG TIME, you haven't learned any tricks. Your game doesn't scare me. What scares me is that you probably drive around some of the same parts of the city as me.

BVal

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I have never actually seen you play EVER! The only time I actually ever met you was at the Desert Dust Off and even then you failed to introduce yourself. It wasn't until days later that I actually knew I met you. I have been waiting to see you at the same tourney I have been at for years now CooCoo. Hell you even said you beat me once when in fact we have never actually met. I think you really need to see a doctor and get your memory checked. Seriously.

I have talked to people that have seen you play recently and unless you are "laying down" BIG TIME, you haven't learned any tricks. Your game doesn't scare me. What scares me is that you probably drive around some of the same parts of the city as me.

BVal

Well I am out of action 90-120 days with a knee thing, but I serious doubt if I will ever make it to Kolby's in Tempe again, as Tracy is not TD there no more, and I liked the way he ran the Sunday Events.

Don't let my driving scare you as I drove over the road 18 wheelers before retiring, and averaged over 12,000 mile/month, accident, and ticket free. So I know how to drive!

I hear there may soon be a NEW Room on Bell Road West of I-17 that will be ALL Diamonds, that is close to me. Maybe they will do as I heard 3-4 night a weeks tournaments. Mostly catering to the 8's and under.

I honestly hate driving now a day, and especially at night with all the DRUNKS!

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I am out of action 90-120 days with a knee thing, but I serious doubt if I will ever make it to Kolby's in Tempe again, as Tracy is not TD there no more, and I liked the way he ran the Sunday Events.

Don't let my driving scare you as I drove over the road 18 wheelers before retiring, and averaged over 12,000 mile/month, accident, and ticket free. So I know how to drive!

I hear there may soon be a NEW Room on Bell Road West of I-17 that will be ALL Diamonds, that is close to me. Maybe they will do as I heard 3-4 night a weeks tournaments. Mostly catering to the 8's and under.

I honestly hate driving now a day, and especially at night with all the DRUNKS!
90-120 days? You have been out of action for 50+ years. LOL.

The new TD runs the Sunday tourneys just fine. It's not rocket Science.

To the OP - When I am faced with a low percentage shot I look for a safe. If the safe is 70% or worse, I take the shot.

BVal

JXMIKE

Aspiring Pro player
Silver Member
When the shot is as hard as the safe then take the shot, you can sell out on a safety and lose control of the table just as easily.

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member

BVal
i knew you guys couldnt ignore each other for long!!!!! you guys should have an arguing contest...wait that started a ways back lol

djpstacked03

Student of Billiards
Silver Member
I find that a good defensive game = a strong offensive game with ball in hand. You have to really weigh the shot out. What is more probable the safety or the aggresive shot. If I make the aggresive shot im a hero and if I dont he or she is out. I rather the latter. He who laughs last laughs the longest.

JasonCrugar

analysis paralysis
Silver Member
When the shot is as hard as the safe then take the shot, you can sell out on a safety and lose control of the table just as easily.

when you get a tough shot and a tough safe go for the shot. it helps keep me in the mentality of try to win instead of trying not to lose. plus if you fire in the tough shot and get out it mindf***s your opponent lol