9-Ball on the spot. Why?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rack with the 1 ball on the spot
Lag for first break
Make the 9 on the break you win
You win you break
If someone breaks and runs out a set on you,then practice your lag.
Too bad you lose.

When they are gambling around here... that is the way they play. Tournaments are mostly Alternate Break, but that is designed to get more entry fees.

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
9Ball on the spot.why?

I agree w Colonel and jasonlaus.
Flip-dat.. 6. How many Pros you see breaking hard when the 9Ball is racked on the spot?
How can you say that 9 on the spot encourages had breaks?

It is virtually imposible to make a ball on the break if you hit the 1Ball hard and square in the face

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I see in many European events and more recently in WPA World events, the 9-Ball racked on the spot.
Why?

What is wrong with the game being played how it's always been played, and the corner ball going in high percentage of times.
How are we ever going to see someone running 20 racks when the organizers make it so hard to make the corner ball? Alternate breaks?

Furthermore, what is the purpose of enforcing illegal breaks and trying to discourage soft and cut breaks while at the same time making it so hard to make the corner ball?

What is the purpose of a template rack, if it's so hard to make balls on the break when the 9-Ball is racked on the spot?

Why the hard breakers have to settle for a soft break shot that is hard to control (as opposed to the controlable hard break shot)?

Asia and Europe plus the WPA have been using a template for YEARS and went to the 9 on the spot years ago as well, so that you actually have to play better than your opponent...

Lots of fossils here and rack mechanics don't like it but if we are going to catch the rest of the world in the game we used to own it's 9 on the spot with a template...

US Open once again will be played that way... You win it now you have to out shoot everyone and Shane was one of the guys that wanted the 9 on the spot and a template.. if that educates anyone at all..................

Marc

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
9ball on the spot.Why?

I agree Renfo that template is the way to go.
Most players wanted a template instead of a wooden rack for a long time.
But we wanted it to avoid having to be rack mechanics and to stop studying the rack and focus more on studying the game. Now that the whole world uses templates, they put the 9 on the spot and cannot make balls on the break, and if we want to make some we need to make a cut (uncontrollable soft break) and start studying the rack again.

How can a billiard organization be against soft breaks,to the point to start with the "3-balls pass the line rule", yet misplace the whole rack (advance the rack forward) to were the balls hardly fall when hit hard in the 1-ball's face?

Really?, no one enjoyed SVB win with his power break at 2007's US Open?

If you all want to see more kicks and safeties and more innings for both players at the table maybe we should play 10Ball or One-pocket. 9Ball is an offensive game, for good shot makers and big breakers.

It's funny how people say template racks are a joke playing 9Ball, and think that Pro players can ran packages like water, yet, it aint easy to see someone ran more than 3 racks from the break.

And whats with the US Open break from the box rule?
Where did that come from?

The whole world breaks 9ball anywhere behind the line, why can the Open do the same?

Bossman225

Registered
If you want a competition between top players in which both players get a chance to play then the break at nine ball needs to be changed from how it was. It's not clear what the best solution is. For players 200 Fargo points down from the top and on tables that don't rack tightly, it probably doesn't make any difference.

The partial solution is to play 10 ball.
No the solution is if you want to play with the big boys, practice and get better and don't settle for where they're at. That's the problem now days. People want everything catered to them so they don't have to work as hard for the reward in the end. All this crap about payout deep into the field and to last place is ridiculous. All that says is hey just play and you'll get paid no matter how well you play you don't have to play well in order to make money or you don't have to be good at your job to make top dollar. It's just ridiculous to me. I've been playing pool since 2001 and I've gotten very good and I sometimes can play with some of the top players but I'm not consistent. But I'm not settling for my current level of play. I want to be the best and I'm working hard to get there. Some ppl just don't have that mentality anymore. Everything is status quo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree Renfo that template is the way to go.
Most players wanted a template instead of a wooden rack for a long time.
But we wanted it to avoid having to be rack mechanics and to stop studying the rack and focus more on studying the game. Now that the whole world uses templates, they put the 9 on the spot and cannot make balls on the break, and if we want to make some we need to make a cut (uncontrollable soft break) and start studying the rack again.

How can a billiard organization be against soft breaks,to the point to start with the "3-balls pass the line rule", yet misplace the whole rack (advance the rack forward) to were the balls hardly fall when hit hard in the 1-ball's face?

Really?, no one enjoyed SVB win with his power break at 2007's US Open?

If you all want to see more kicks and safeties and more innings for both players at the table maybe we should play 10Ball or One-pocket. 9Ball is an offensive game, for good shot makers and big breakers.

It's funny how people say template racks are a joke playing 9Ball, and think that Pro players can ran packages like water, yet, it aint easy to see someone ran more than 3 racks from the break.

And whats with the US Open break from the box rule?
Where did that come from?

The whole world breaks 9ball anywhere behind the line, why can the Open do the same?

Marc -- Consider this.

At the 2015 US Open 9-Ball event they used a breaking template, the 9-ball on the spot, a break box about 9" to each side of the long string, and an illegal-break rule (at least 3 balls must pass the side pockets or be pocketed). For the 33 streamed matches (572 games), the results were:
• 62% successful breaks (made at least one ball and did not break illegally or foul);
• 0.9 average number of balls made on the break;
• 23% break-and-run games including two 4-packs and four 3-packs;
• 45% of the games ended in one inning.

At the 2015 WPA World 9-Ball Championship they also used a breaking template, but the 1-ball was on the spot, no break box, and an illegal-break rule (at least 3 balls must pass the head string or be pocketed). For the 23 streamed matches (340 games) that I watched, the results were:
• 88% successful breaks;
• 1.7 average number of balls made on the break;
• 37% break-and-run games including three alternate-break 4-packs and four alternate-break 3-packs;
• 55% of the games ended in one inning.

Do these differences affect your thinking about the breaking requirements for 9-ball?

Last edited:

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[...]

Do these differences affect your thinking about the breaking requirements for 9-ball?

US Open, 9 on spot: 23% break&run
WPA 9-ball, 1 on spot: 37% break&run

Here is something I think many don't appreciate.

We all know and appreciate that for a given game and equipment and rules, shorter races lead to more upsets. Imagine the US Open 9-Ball (normally race to 11) was instead race to 7 or race to 15. How do we describe the impact?

Apologists for the shorter-race situation like to point out the cream still rises to the top. But there is a subtlety here. If the US Open was a race to 7, then the winner likely would still be a top player, like SVB, or Alex, or Ko Pin Yi, or Darren, or Jayson, etc--and that is what people are noticing. But there is a difference between
"cream rises to the top" and
"there is cream at the top."

In the race to 15 event, all these players likely would finish high. In the race to 7, one might win, but another few might go two and out or three and out.

How does this relate to the issue here, the break issue?

Here is how: Moving from 9 on spot to 1 on spot is statistically equivalent to shortening the race for matches amongst strong players. So they may be playing a race to 11, but it is acting, statistically, like a race to 9. The true LENGTH of a match is not so much the number they are racing to, but more about the number of CHANGES IN CONTROL that affect scoring the players experience in a match.

Think about this:

Why is it that for pros a race to 30 in 9-ball does a good job finding the better player while a race to 30 in straight pool does a ridiculously poor job?

It is because there are few, if any, changes in control in the straight pool game
So the effective race length is very short. For two beginners, a race to 30 in straight pool does a fine job determining the better player.

The bottom line is we are foolish to do anything to effectively shorten the matches, when at the same time we are making match lengths as long as possible at these major events consistent with time and available tables.

It's time we stop allowing the break-tail to wag the dog-game...

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We all know and appreciate that for a given game and equipment and rules, shorter races lead to more upsets. Imagine the US Open 9-Ball (normally race to 11) was instead race to 7 or race to 15. How do we describe the impact?

Apologists for the shorter-race situation like to point out the cream still rises to the top. But there is a subtlety here. If the US Open was a race to 7, then the winner likely would still be a top player, like SVB, or Alex, or Ko Pin Yi, or Darren, or Jayson, etc--and that is what people are noticing. But there is a difference between

In the race to 15 event, all these players likely would finish high. In the race to 7, one might win, but another few might go two and out or three and out.

Here is how: Moving from 9 on spot to 1 on spot is statistically equivalent to shortening the race for matches amongst strong players. So they may be playing a race to 11, but it is acting, statistically, like a race to 9. The true LENGTH of a match is not so much the number they are racing to, but more about the number of CHANGES IN CONTROL that affect scoring the players experience in a match.

Think about this:

Why is it that for pros a race to 30 in 9-ball does a good job finding the better player while a race to 30 in straight pool does a ridiculously poor job?

It is because there are few, if any, changes in control in the straight pool game
So the effective race length is very short. For two beginners, a race to 30 in straight pool does a fine job determining the better player.

The bottom line is we are foolish to do anything to effectively shorten the matches, when at the same time we are making match lengths as long as possible at these major events consistent with time and available tables.

It's not a race

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

Think about this:

Thanks Mike... Anytime you take your time to add some insight here we are alllllll better off....

-Chris