What percentage of people are actually 6/7

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was just thinking and wondering. Does anyone know what percent of the player base would be considered a 6/7 handicap in apa?

And yes I know most people think the apa sucks blah, blah, blah.

tommypabs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is an impossible question to answer. I play in APA, TAP, and UPA. There are so many factors to consider while identifying a players handicap. Between Sand Baggers, League Reps not reviewing performance regularly, Players coming and going. From my experience, there are far fewer strong players.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I am a 7 in 8 ball and a 9 in 9 Ball. Which is the right handicap to get me broke against most people who are "5s".

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did some calculations on this a while back in one of my old leagues, which was played on 9-foot tables. Twos were 12%, threes 28%, fours 29%, fives 20%, sixes 6%, and sevens 5%. That may be a bit more concentrated in the 3/4 range due to the larger tables but you get the idea.

At any rate there is a limit to the number of 6's and 7's who can participate due to the 21 limit. Under most circumstances only one 6/7 per team will be able to play on any given night so you're looking at at a natural upper bound of around one in five players having those ratings.

BJTyler

AzB Member
Silver Member
league

small sample, but in my division:

103 total players

7 - 5.8%
6 - 9.7%
5 - 25.2%
4 - 26.2%
3 - 28.2%
2 - 4.9%

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
League Reps not reviewing performance.

League reps do not review players generally unless there are complaints about them, good or bad. They are not the ones responsible for the ratings as the system should be doing it automatically based on good score keeping by the teams. If a league has to worry about the LO constantly doing it then there are a bunch of clowns in that league.

tommypabs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
League reps do not review players generally unless there are complaints about them, good or bad. They are not the ones responsible for the ratings as the system should be doing it automatically based on good score keeping by the teams. If a league has to worry about the LO constantly doing it then there are a bunch of clowns in that league.
Understood.....Thanks for the clarification. Either way, there are tangibles in ones performance that can not be read via the "system". My point being.....very hard to gauge how many ACTUAL 6/7 players are in the league due to so many variables. Its always hard in any handicapped event to get a players handicap "right".

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My league has 54 players.

7 - 1
6 - 9
5 - 12
4 - 22
3 - 6
2 - 4

One team has 76654332 and has plenty of options depending on opponent.
They can play 66542, 66533, 66433, 76532, 76433, 75432

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Understood.....Thanks for the clarification. Either way, there are tangibles in ones performance that can not be read via the "system". My point being.....very hard to gauge how many ACTUAL 6/7 players are in the league due to so many variables. Its always hard in any handicapped event to get a players handicap "right".

True, but the APA keeps track of a lot more performance type things so it shouldn't be too far off.

Average innings it takes you to win games is the single biggest performance thing showing how good a player is. From game to game it could vary greatly, but chances are the defensive shots go up with that.

Very good 7's will be close to 0 innings with some having .0x averages and others being closer to 1. As a 6 I probably average around 3, but I don't really keep track so I can't say for sure and it could be closer to 4 or 5. I consider myself about an average 6 in that group of 9 we have in our league.

tommypabs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My league has 54 players.

7 - 1
6 - 9
5 - 12
4 - 22
3 - 6
2 - 4

One team has 76654332 and has plenty of options depending on opponent.
They can play 66542, 66533, 66433, 76532, 76433, 75432
I think there are different ways to interpret the op's question. You are determining the number of 6/7 players via your resources, by taking a hard count. I question the accuracy of handicapping ACTUAL 6/7 players making your hard count inaccurate imho.:smile:

tommypabs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True, but the APA keeps track of a lot more performance type things so it shouldn't be too far off.

Average innings it takes you to win games is the single biggest performance thing showing how good a player is. From game to game it could vary greatly, but chances are the defensive shots go up with that.

Very good 7's will be close to 0 innings with some having .0x averages and others being closer to 1. As a 6 I probably average around 3, but I don't really keep track so I can't say for sure and it could be closer to 4 or 5. I consider myself about an average 6 in that group of 9 we have in our league.
I dont mean to sound so pessimistic. Quite frankley, I am happy to get out of the house a few times a week!!

Bossman225

Registered
I think it's really hard to determine who is a true 6 or 7. My opinion is its the type of players in the league in your area or region that you compete against. I just got into league about a month or so. I started out as a 4 and I know for a fact I'm not a 4. I also played in the masters league which has no handicap and my team won our session. In one week I went from a 4 to a 6 just because I won in the masters which I think should have absolutely nothing to do with the regular apa system. As far as my ranking goes id have to say for the region I play in with the players I play with, in league and open tournaments, I could be considered a super 6 or a 7 in 8 ball. My better game is 9 ball but I'm not on a 9 ball team so I have no ranking for that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AzBilliards Forums mobile app

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was just thinking and wondering. Does anyone know what percent of the player base would be considered a 6/7 handicap in apa? ...

So the answer seems to be that within the APA, about 14% of the players are rated at 6 or 7. If you look at all 30 million or so pool players in the US, the percentage is probably a lot lower. That participation number is based on something like "several times per year" or "at least once a month".

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno...i like defense. My 8 ball defensive shot avg is 3.08 per match, and 9 ball is 4.49....very high. it's possible to play good D and wait for your runout opportunity...causing innings to be highr

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I dunno...i like defense. My 8 ball defensive shot avg is 3.08 per match, and 9 ball is 4.49....very high. it's possible to play good D and wait for your runout opportunity...causing innings to be highr

Defensive shots are normally subtracted from the Total Inning count.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Our division here seems to follow suit....current session is 14.8% Skill Levels 6/7.

SL2 - 6.9%
SL3 - 27.8%
SL4 - 22.6%
SL5 - 24.3%
SL6 - 13.9%
SL7 - 3.4%

115 players this session. I can think of several players from our area that are in the 6/7 range who aren't playing currently but have played with us before.....but of course, I can think of just as many (actually more) that aren't playing currently and are below that skill level.

The interesting thing here is that we have more SL5's than SL4's, and it's been that way for a couple years. There seems to be a recent influx of SL3's, and perhaps as they progress that will alter the balance again. I can think of at least a handful of SL5's that are getting close to moving to SL6 as well....(Hoping to be one of them, if I can ever get consistent enough to get out in fewer innings, darn it!)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was just thinking and wondering. Does anyone know what percent of the player base would be considered a 6/7 handicap in apa?

I would think the APA would have an answer to this. Should someone ask? Maybe I'll ask.

Freddie <~~~ asking Renee

Skratch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wondering what knowing what percentage are 6/7 is going to do for you/your team?

Before they changed the format on points, I put together a spreadsheet on the performance of each team in our league and calculated who would be over/under performing compared to their skill level. This helped us match up sandbaggers to better players, and more importantly our weaker players against their over rated ones (if any). The hardest team to play against were always the teams with lots of 2/3s!

Last edited:

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mine is in the 4's, but regardless if you are not shooting to make a ball it is a defensive shoot and should be marked accordingly making your average innings what they should be for your level of play.