7' wolverine bar box

TylerT55

Registered
300-obo-7-5-wolverine-pool-table-americanlisted_31062185.jpg
Hello, first post here. About 3 months ago i purchased a 7 foot wolverine bar box. Its one peice undersized non backed slate with minimal shelf and k66 rails. The mechanic who installed the cloth im assuming diddnt lay it properly and it is bunching up near the rails of the table. My question is if anyone can recommend a mechanic in the detroit area who could change the coushins from a k66 to a k55 profile with "pro cut pocket dimensions", extend the sub rails to match, and properly install simonas 860 cloth. I would also like it leveled as there are some bad roll offs towards one side of the table. I would also like to know how much a service like this typically costs to have done right. The pool room i play in has diamond bar boxes and i would like to replicate the playability of my home table to be as similar as possible.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
300-obo-7-5-wolverine-pool-table-americanlisted_31062185.jpg
Hello, first post here. About 3 months ago i purchased a 7 foot wolverine bar box. Its one peice undersized non backed slate with minimal shelf and k66 rails. The mechanic who installed the cloth im assuming diddnt lay it properly and it is bunching up near the rails of the table. My question is if anyone can recommend a mechanic in the detroit area who could change the coushins from a k66 to a k55 profile with "pro cut pocket dimensions", extend the sub rails to match, and properly install simonas 860 cloth. I would also like it leveled as there are some bad roll offs towards one side of the table. I would also like to know how much a service like this typically costs to have done right. The pool room i play in has diamond bar boxes and i would like to replicate the playability of my home table to be as similar as possible.
All i can say is good luck.

TylerT55

Registered
All i can say is good luck.

So you dont think its worh it to attempt to have the table converted? Ive read alot of your posts and you seem very knowledgable and one of the best at what you do. Any insight on this would be great. Valley tables seem to be of similar construction and ive seen those diamondized.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
So you dont think its worh it to attempt to have the table converted? Ive read alot of your posts and you seem very knowledgable and one of the best at what you do. Any insight on this would be great. Valley tables seem to be of similar construction and ive seen those diamondized.

Diamonized is an over used term used to try and copy the play of a Diamond table, only without the structure that makes a Diamond play like a Diamond. The rails on a Diamond bolt through the 1" slate for a rock solid, secure fit. Your table has an undersized 3/4" slate which means the rail tops are mounted to the wood side panels of the body of the table, then the removable cushion blocks are bolted to the rail cap, not the same as bolting the rails to the slate. As far as the slate shelf goes, your slate corner pockets don't have much of a shelf as it is, making the pockets smaller makes the pocket shelf even less than what you have now. In the picture you posted, i can see the cushion blocks are mounted up higher than the formica rail caps which tells me they're not mounted correctly, but i don't know why. Not saying the table can't be made to play better, but Diamonized....not unless it's a Diamond to begin with.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
"Diamondizing"

There is no one in the area that can perform the work at the level of Real King Cobra. Not to mention the cost of having the work done by far exceeds the value of the table. It would be comparable to putting a 2017 Porsche motor in a 1971 Ford Pinto.

Anyone local that would take on the job would be setting themselves up for failure, RKC already said it could be made to play better, but, nothing like a Diamond.

The simple answer to all of this is buy a NEW Diamond! I happen to have new ones on hand. 7' Pro Am and 7' Professional. :)

Trent from Toledo (419)491-7476

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have played on many "Diamondized" Valley tables. They all seem to have one thing in common, they do not play very well and they certainly play nothing like a Diamond. They only way to make a table play like a Diamond is to buy a Diamond.
If you want to keep that table the best thing to do is just make that table play its best as it was designed. If its like a Valley you should be able to get Ridgeback Rails for it which should liven up the table and make it play fairly true and also put new properly installed cloth on the table. Like Glen mentioned you probably dont want to tighten the pockets because that reduces the pocket shelf. Even if it doesnt play like a Diamond you should be able to make it play decent enough for it to be a good practice table. If you want it to play like a Diamond though you will be disappointed.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Penguin Rails

Fred Taylor at Penguin makes a very good set of rails for a very reasonable price. Here is a link to their site:

http://www.penguinamusement.com/catalog_rails.php

They are also in Michigan so shipping is less and they usually ship within a day of receiving your order. Fred is very knowledgeable and offers great customer service. Wolverine tables are made in Ferndale, I am sure Fred and his company are able to make the compatible k55 profile for your table. You can order them with Simonis already on them and then all you need is someone to level the table and install the bed cloth. Good Luck!

Trent from Toledo