best coach

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hey, im an excellent player, i want to spend 6 months with a good coach. who do u recommend

Rpm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan Shuffet,
There was a thread recently singing his praises.
Search for it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
three

hey, im an excellent player, i want to spend 6 months with a good coach. who do u recommend

Spend a month with Joe Tucker. Four months with Joe Villalpando, and a month with Stan Shuffett. If that didn't get you very near world class if you are an excellent player now it is time to take two weeks off and then quit pool forever. However, I'd spend a week or two with Hal Houle too. Heck what's an extra month? Go see the hippy too!

Hu

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Occasionally there's a debate on here that says something like... a great player and a great teacher are two different things, so anyone looking to learn should look first at the great teachers. But some people (notably pro player John Schmidt) point out that there's some knowledge or insight that a pro will have that the teacher won't. You can't teach what you don't know.

If I have enough time and money to literally go with whoever I want, I'm gonna fly to Germany and take lessons from Ralf Souquet. It's 100 euro an hour, but if you commit to 6 months of lessons I'm sure you can get a price break :)

He's not only a top level pro, he seems very patient and well-spoken and I have a feeling he's intelligent and articulate enough to get his ideas across clearly. Maybe I'm wrong but I have time and cash to burn, I'm gonna take the gamble.

JAW725

Southpaw
Silver Member
Joe Tucker
Stan Shuffett

If you want to get crazy, go to Germany and see Anreas Huber along with Ralph Eckert.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member

You have gotten some good suggestions here, but the best one I can offer is to consider another option. You can spend 6 months with one person, or you can spend a week with 24 different instructors, and get access to a much broader range of information. My personal goal is to spend time with as many different instructors as I possibly can.

RandyG, Scott Lee, Stan, Tony, Rufus, Bob Jewett, Jerry Powers, Grady, Mark, Blackjack and dozens more (I suppose you could even add me to the list if you wanted to.)

Just think of all you could learn spending time with all of those great instructors. Why limit yourself to just one?

I would take that 6 months and go learn from as many different instructors as I possibly could. If you learned something helpful from only half of them, you would probably still come out ahead.

Just another idea to consider.

Steve

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are some great people mentioned here. RandyG is a great teacher with a lot of knowlege. He is eager to share and does a great job explaining everything. Ron V's name was just thrown in. I would give him a try also. His knowledge of kicking sytems is great.

If you feel you can improve by working on your fundementals, and most of us can, then Scott Lee is an excellent teacher. Scott can also go beyond the basics to improve your game.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
the best coach is the one that can pass along knowledge in a way for the student to be able to grasp and understand the ideas and techniques.

All of the people mentioned above have excellent reputations as being the best of the best.

Most of the instruction I've gotten was from Pro's such as Matlock, Ronnie Allen, Walden etc. The only Certified Instructor I've ever had the pleasure to spend time with was Scott Lee, and I have to say that he explained things like I like to explain things....so a complete Idiot can understand. I was extremely tired from offshore and it was very hard to keep focus and learn...but Scott was very patient and super helpful and I couldn't have asked for a better experience IMOP.

Eddie Robins know a whole lot about the game but tho he's a friend, he is extremely hard to talk to up to a point...just the opposite of Scott. I've learned TONS of stuff from him, but its a real pain in the butt sometimes as since he knows it and its so simple to him, its as if he doesn't understand why everyone else doesn't grasp it first lick.

Fact is the best coach for one person may not be the best for another, what the instructor knows or can perform doesn't matter one bit....what matters is if he can get the prospective student to understand, and retain the info.

Something IMOP that Scott Lee does one hell of a job of.

my 2 cents,
Grey Ghost

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are some great people named here. I have spent some time with Joe Tucker, Randy G, Scott Lee, Ron V, and Little Joe V. Each one has passed on some great information. All are great teachers. All show tremendous knowledge of there fields, are eager to share with their students, and are good at explaining. A very important factor is that they are all very patient. If you cannot do something they just don't tell you to keep doing it. They find out why you are doing it incorrectly, and then they help you do it correctly.

smokey

let's roll
Silver Member
i suck at pool...

but i can say this:

my only experience is Johnny Archer

not only is he someone who can spot your game's ailments

he is one of the nicest people i have ever met in my life [for sure]

and if you don't believe, ask fats, he can tell you more

PERIOD,
smokey

jcpoolgod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think i have a plan

maybe ill get like ten grand saved up...then go to all the cities and visit these instructors....maybe rent a room offa craigslist for a a few months....

every day my mind screams at me...to do this....

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
The best way for me to answer this question is to ask myself the same question. Whom would I chose?????

The answer would be, what am I looking for? There are some many (listed) talented coaches available it would make more sense to visit them all. Each has more than just their specialty to offer.

This has always been one of my teaching goals. Little by little I'm visiting them all. Hope I have a lot of Birthdays left....:)

I have the best job in the World,
randyg

Mowem down

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For my cash Id be spending time with John Schmidt... I have taken some lessons from a few got a few tapes lots of good stuff but from my sports back ground I could tell from the little time I spent with John if he couldnt get me there it would be time to find another game....