Streaming Players & Problems

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
This is interesting for sure and I was just speaking to a pro player (not Shane Winters) two nights ago about streaming and his view on how it hurts the players and how they are owed. I explained I am contracted by the promoter who pays me up front to do an event. He uses my stream and the number of viewers as a way to get more sponsor money which equals more added money for the players and exposure for the event.

Without a stream some sponsors won't take part because its almost expected for any halfway decent event so promoters use it as part of there pitch since hanging a banner up at a venue isn't going to cut it anymore. He then inquired about YouTube and all the views on videos of him and that he should be owed money.

I explained majority of videos I upload have background music from it being done in pool rooms which triggers copyrights from music companies and they don't make money for whomever uploads them which for me is 90% of my videos I would say. So with say for example 1.5 million views and says 150,000 views being monetized I made around $150 total in all those years from that since you earn about $1000 for a million views.

I think players should contact YouTube and ask how much money there name has made on the videos and they might be shocked its very little. I am asked to put these videos online after I stream them from the event promoter, I would prefer to just hand the footage over and let them do it because that is a bunch of work within itself so some do. From now on I think every tournament should make players sign a release for that event and that the added money is the compensation for using the players image.

Ustream pays nothing to streamers for viewer numbers. Now when guys are doing a PPV then players should get paid like TAR did for them in the past. When it is a PPV tournament then the players need to be explained to that the added money is the players pay because maybe some of the added money is recouped from the PPV but I don't know as I have never done one. Streamers who do PPV for a tournament usually cut a deal with the promoter and whack up the monies so the promoter can recoup some of the added money.

I have streamed thousands of hours of pool and much of it with no compensation and just laying out money every two years for equipment which thankfully in the past people contributed to. Now I generate some revenue which I take some of that money and upgrade after about 2 years or so. If an event for example pays me $500 for a weekend event and I spend 30 hours streaming and 10 hours before and after with promotion and other stuff we are at 50 hours so $12.50 an hour but you have a day of travel before and after the event so your wage would become even lower as more time is invested. You also need to minus monies for the equipment fund which will come fast when you need to upgrade stuff.

When players played on ESPN like other athletes they don't get paid money for it, they either get money from their sponsors, a salary from a team or in the case of pool the added money from the event sponsors which the promoter obtained. Some are baffled that ESPN charges pool to film it, well they do this because they need to make money for the production. If they could obtain TV sponsors who want to advertise the event they would do so to make the money but pool doesn't draw big viewers so no big money from advertising. ESPN probably pays to do certain events because they can get big money from advertising.

I don't see promoters or streamers or players getting rich at all because its pool and there is no money and might never be any real big money in it. The fact is I never started streaming because of money or thoughts there would be big money in it but really because I love the game and I know there were others who did also who wanted to watch.

The players and fans should be thankful for streamers and the legit promoters and sponsors in the game because pool just isn't a big draw. I appreciate the players talent because I like pool but we are a small minority who gives a damn about it. I have had some players shake my hand and appreciated I was there to give them coverage because not only does the event need it for the sponsors of the event but players do also so they can showcase the sponsors they have by being seen.

If any player who is playing on the stream wants me to mention their sponsor and even put up a banner on the stream at some point during their match just ask and I will do that no problem. I am proud to help the events, promoters, players, fans and the game. My biggest pay comes in the form of all the people I have met players and fans alike, experiences and memories I will cherish.

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I would tell the players to set up their own YouTube channel and post some vids of them playing so they can see how much money they make.

Although, to be honest. I know a guy that does 2-3 vids a day about financial stuff, and he makes a little over $1000 per month. This guy has over 23,000 subscribers though. So it is possible to make decent money, but only if you do more than one vid a day and have a boat-load of subscribers.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have the sponsors money go directly to the streamed players only and its problem solved.

#reebokmoney

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lenny,

I very much agree with you.

For those that don't know, Shane Winters made some posts on FB saying that pros should be paid for being on the stream and threatening to not play if he wasn't paid.

I don't understand where players like Shane Winters think the added money comes from in these tournaments. It is coming from the sponsors, promoters etc. who expect something in return - advertising. The added money is coming as a direct result of the increased exposure the stream brings to the event. If you don't want a shot at the added money or aren't prepared to be seen on the stream as the price of doing so, don't play. Also, surely the sponsors of the pros are doing so for PR reasons and would not want to sponsor a pro who refuses to be on camera.

Money matches are a different story - if the players want to do it without a stream and can find a room to accommodate them, great. If they can find a streamer to give them a few buck, even better.

Gideon

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I would tell the players to set up their own YouTube channel and post some vids of them playing so they can see how much money they make.

Although, to be honest. I know a guy that does 2-3 vids a day about financial stuff, and he makes a little over $1000 per month. This guy has over 23,000 subscribers though. So it is possible to make decent money, but only if you do more than one vid a day and have a boat-load of subscribers.

You are correct if you can produce original content which some do on YouTube. Take the guy with a million subscribers and getting millions of views on his weekly videos and he is making a decent living. The player asked me if they could all band together and hire me as their streamer for every event and then the content would be handed over to the players for a YouTube channel or something like that after each event which the players could make money off of and get a share of the revenue.

I replied that the players would have to go to each promoter and make that deal to have total control over the videos and for me to be doing the events. I like the idea because its more events for me to do but also now its on the players to turn the content into money and they will either see its worth something or not worth the time.

Strictly

Registered
I think Shane's attitude is a poor one in this matter, in most high profile professional sports simply being on television doesn't come with the benefits of money and endorsements, but consistent good coverage will. All you provide is a vessel for these players to potentially make more money by broadening the audience and ideally fueling people's interest in the sport both as a professional sport and recreation. /rant

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Have the sponsors money go directly to the streamed players only and its problem solved.

#reebokmoney

The sponsors money does get to them in the form of added monies from the promoter who got it from the sponsors. He gets his cut for promoting the event, obtaining the sponsors and setting the show all up. I have streamed countless events that cost me to do it with time and travel in the past. Some room owners or promoters would cover some cost of travel, rooms, food and drink and maybe even a little jelly because they appreciate it. I have had others who want to pay you in the form of a ham sandwich and a coke and some will still charge you for that.

I have refused to do an event these days unless I am getting paid something for it from the room/promoter because it benefits them in many ways. Just say a stream gets 50,000 viewers over the course of X amount of days, within six months or so you can have 250,000-500,000 views on YouTube and this number continues to grow. The event, players, sponsors and pool rooms are getting exposure for years and years to come and people are watching!

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Working at least an hour everyday to prouce 2/3 videos for a little more then a grand a month? Thats not "decent" money. Proof of of op's post.

Thanks Lenny for all you do and clarification on revenue.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sponsors money does get to them in the form of added monies from the promoter who got it from the sponsors. He gets his cut for promoting the event, obtaining the sponsors and setting the show all up. I have streamed countless events that cost me to do it with time and travel in the past. Some room owners or promoters would cover some cost of travel, rooms, food and drink and maybe even a little jelly because they appreciate it. I have had others who want to pay you in the form of a ham sandwich and a coke and some will still charge you for that.

I have refused to do an event these days unless I am getting paid something for it from the room/promoter because it benefits them in many ways. Just say a stream gets 50,000 viewers over the course of X amount of days, within six months or so you can have 250,000-500,000 views on YouTube and this number continues to grow. The event, players, sponsors and pool rooms are getting exposure for years and years to come and people are watching!

I think there is more to it than what you or I both stated.

What if a player plays in the first televised match and gets beat then goes on and gets beat out in the second round. He was on stream and he recieved no money.

Suppose the sponsors money went to the stream only. The guys who win tournament get their share because their finals match will be streamed. The guys who play on the stream at any time get a share. If the sponsors money really is anything worth playing for then most players will want to be on the stream. The tournament entry should have the stipulation that the player agrees that he is agreeing to play on stream for xxxxx amount if his match os chosen otherwise he forfeits that match. If he doesnt like the amount then he doesnt sign up for that tournament.

And perhaps the players can work a deal with their own sponsors too that pays them something if they play on stream and their sponsor recieves some kind of attention.

Last edited:

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think there is more to it than what you or I both stated.

What if a player plays in the first televised match and gets beat then goes on and gets beat out in the second round. He was on stream and he recieved no money.

Suppose the sponsors money went to the stream only. The guys who win tournament get their share. The guys who play on the stream at any time get a share. If the sponsors money really is anything worth playing for then most players will want to be on the stream.

Perhaps the players can work a deal with their own sponsors too that pays them something if they play on stream and their sponsor recieves some kind of attention.

But that is not fair to the field. The choice of which match to stream can be arbitrary, can depend on at least one of the players involved and the timing of matches. The reality is that Alex and SVB, for example, will get far more streaming money over time and even less for the Shane Winters of the world.

Gideon

Gideon

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But that is not fair to the field. The choice of which match to stream can be arbitrary, can depend on at least one of the players involved and the timing of matches. The reality is that Alex and SVB, for example, will get far more streaming money over time and even less for the Shane Winters of the world.

Gideon

Gideon

Lifes not fair!

Would you rather have players fighting to be on stream or fighting to stay off?

When players make it to the finals they will be on stream. When they start making it to the finals consistently they will want to be seen earlier in ghe tournament also. Or if a player starts to develop fans that ask for his matches, it effects his pocketbook directly.

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Working at least an hour everyday to prouce 2/3 videos for a little more then a grand a month? Thats not "decent" money. Proof of of op's post.

Thanks Lenny for all you do and clarification on revenue.
I guess that your comment is "fair". But this guy does many of his vids while driving to work, with a windshield mounted camera. Depending on where you live and the cost of housing, this guy says that he makes enough to pay his mortgage every month. He seems to think that the time he spends doing vids is easy "work". But I guess it depends on your perspective.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think all the streamers should pool up all their revenue, then take those billions of dollars and slice out a few million for all the "pro" players that are providing their services for free.

Problem solved.

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find the quality of the pool, played at many of these streamed matches a real turn off! I'm all for quality players and games being rewarded. But a lot of the streamed matches are just not premium quality and do nothing to generate goodwill or attract an audience to the game of pool.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
i go to the venue or pool room and watch the best players in town play!!!

They do not walk around the room with their hand out!!!

So, why would the players be paid???

Additionally, It is smart to only do business with people you trust. If you do not trust bigtruck or Tar then you have no business on their streams.

Many players have been vocal about the fair and honest treatment they have received. So, crying over the deal made by the venue and tournament director to obtain sponsors is outside the players scope. They agree to the terms when they put their money up and one of the terms is the possible use of their image in video coverage. They know this well before hand and can't cry about it after the fact.

KD

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is interesting for sure and I was just speaking to a pro player (not Shane Winters) two nights ago about streaming and his view on how it hurts the players and how they are owed. I explained I am contracted by the promoter who pays me up front to do an event. He uses my stream and the number of viewers as a way to get more sponsor money which equals more added money for the players and exposure for the event.

Without a stream some sponsors won't take part because its almost expected for any halfway decent event so promoters use it as part of there pitch since hanging a banner up at a venue isn't going to cut it anymore. He then inquired about YouTube and all the views on videos of him and that he should be owed money.

I explained majority of videos I upload have background music from it being done in pool rooms which triggers copyrights from music companies and they don't make money for whomever uploads them which for me is 90% of my videos I would say. So with say for example 1.5 million views and says 150,000 views being monetized I made around $150 total in all those years from that since you earn about $1000 for a million views.

I think players should contact YouTube and ask how much money there name has made on the videos and they might be shocked its very little. I am asked to put these videos online after I stream them from the event promoter, I would prefer to just hand the footage over and let them do it because that is a bunch of work within itself so some do. From now on I think every tournament should make players sign a release for that event and that the added money is the compensation for using the players image.

Ustream pays nothing to streamers for viewer numbers. Now when guys are doing a PPV then players should get paid like TAR did for them in the past. When it is a PPV tournament then the players need to be explained to that the added money is the players pay because maybe some of the added money is recouped from the PPV but I don't know as I have never done one. Streamers who do PPV for a tournament usually cut a deal with the promoter and whack up the monies so the promoter can recoup some of the added money.

I have streamed thousands of hours of pool and much of it with no compensation and just laying out money every two years for equipment which thankfully in the past people contributed to. Now I generate some revenue which I take some of that money and upgrade after about 2 years or so. If an event for example pays me $500 for a weekend event and I spend 30 hours streaming and 10 hours before and after with promotion and other stuff we are at 50 hours so $12.50 an hour but you have a day of travel before and after the event so your wage would become even lower as more time is invested. You also need to minus monies for the equipment fund which will come fast when you need to upgrade stuff.

When players played on ESPN like other athletes they don't get paid money for it, they either get money from their sponsors, a salary from a team or in the case of pool the added money from the event sponsors which the promoter obtained. Some are baffled that ESPN charges pool to film it, well they do this because they need to make money for the production. If they could obtain TV sponsors who want to advertise the event they would do so to make the money but pool doesn't draw big viewers so no big money from advertising. ESPN probably pays to do certain events because they can get big money from advertising.

I don't see promoters or streamers or players getting rich at all because its pool and there is no money and might never be any real big money in it. The fact is I never started streaming because of money or thoughts there would be big money in it but really because I love the game and I know there were others who did also who wanted to watch.

The players and fans should be thankful for streamers and the legit promoters and sponsors in the game because pool just isn't a big draw. I appreciate the players talent because I like pool but we are a small minority who gives a damn about it. I have had some players shake my hand and appreciated I was there to give them coverage because not only does the event need it for the sponsors of the event but players do also so they can showcase the sponsors they have by being seen.

If any player who is playing on the stream wants me to mention their sponsor and even put up a banner on the stream at some point during their match just ask and I will do that no problem. I am proud to help the events, promoters, players, fans and the game. My biggest pay comes in the form of all the people I have met players and fans alike, experiences and memories I will cherish.

In events where there is a streamed table, do players not have to sign some type of waiver when they sign up and enter the event that they might be on the stream at some point and give up their rights to their video images in exchange for the prize fund?

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Lenny, good thoughts.

I hope some day that the following created by the free stream will all result in more money in the pool players pockets.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
In events where there is a streamed table, do players not have to sign some type of waiver when they sign up and enter the event that they might be on the stream at some point and give up their rights to their video images in exchange for the prize fund?

Most do not that I know of but I am going to talk to the promoters of events I do which are a few to have players sign a rules/waiver form when they do their entry so it will stop that issue and cover all involved. If a player doesn't want to get a shot at the added money from sponsors of the event and attention for their own sponsors when they get on the stream then they don't need to play and are not being forced to play.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a broader scale...

This is a very interesting topic looking at one part of the finances of streaming a tournament.

On a broader scale, say the finances of running a tournament, or even a tour itself, what are all the sources of revenue?

Obviously there are the sponsors, both large and small, the players entry fees and contributions from the room owners or an event host. What other sources of income do the tour owners have to supplement their revenue? And how much does it cost to sponsor a tour?

I ask this out of curiosity after hearing Oscar Dominguez say last year on the stream of his Mezz West State Tour that he barely makes minimum wage running and owning the tour.

Hearing that was troubling considering all the work he and Desiree put in to run that tour, including streaming the events themselves due to the costs of outsourcing that aspect of the business.

Doing something for the love of the sport can only last so long...there needs to be a pot of money somewhere down the road.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!