Boys' Club pool competitions

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Up until the 1960s (maybe later) the Boys' Clubs had billiard competitions. I think they had both carom and pool events in multiple age brackets. In pool there was no (or little?) head-to-head competition. Instead the players shot from a fixed pattern of balls. I met one of the players who had achieved a run of 176 (IIRC). His 14.1 was not up to the same level.

Here is a picture from the March 4th, 1951 Louisville Courier-Journal (page 113). You can access the article through the site newspapers.com, but you have to sign up and pay a subscription if you go beyond the free trial.

You may recognize the pattern as the basis for a common drill.

LouisvilleCourierJournal_Mar4_1951.jpg

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's amazing how many people over the years {especially before about 1980} said they were Boys Club Champions at pool, also {I still hear this } college champions at chess or, they learned from a former world champion, while in jail.
None of the Boys Club Champs were very good players , the best was probably a 4 in bar league play and the chess champions always move their queen about 4 to 6 times out of the first 10 moves in the opening, which is a dead giveaway, that they never played well, at any time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
While scanning some issues of the National Billiard News for the Goldmine -- see the AZB home page -- I found the following about the rules for the Boys' Club competitions...

CropperCapture[846].png

CropperCapture[847].png

From the June, 1973 issue of NBN:
Scan20220102.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And perhaps eliminating the break makes it easier for novice players to pocket a few balls and still have fun without knowing anything about pool.
Well, I think you do need to know at least a little about pool to play it. I met one of the Boys' Club champions who had a high score of something like 176. Racks and racks and racks. Seems like it could get boring.