Opponents with headphones

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you are easy to shark. :D

I tend to breathe in and out when I play. What if I do it slower or faster? Problem? :rolleyes:

Nah, been there done that, Chop!... it's just annoying. If you're playing a set, be into playing POOL, not texting and wearing headphones to 'block out' distractions.
What'll you do when you play somewhere that doesn't allow all that?

Chop, you ever see "War Of The Roses"?

"All that breathing you do, in and out, in and out, I can't take it!" :thumbup:

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Nah, been there done that, Chop!... it's just annoying. If you're playing a set, be into playing POOL, not texting and wearing headphones to 'block out' distractions.
What'll you do when you play somewhere that doesn't allow all that?

Chop, you ever see "War Of The Roses"?

"All that breathing you do, in and out, in and out, I can't take it!" :thumbup:

I would say some old school 14.1 players (I guess I would qualify) just feel it's a matter of courtesy / respect when you are sitting in your chair quietly while your opponent controls the table, that you are paying attention and observing your opponent's run, waiting for your next opportunity to get back to the table. If they are doing that with their headphones on, that's no problem, but texting and receiving texts while their opponent is at the table is not the same thing.

Kind of like the opponent that is practicing shooting balls on the adjacent open table while you are at the table - the lack of respect and paying attention to your opponent while they have the table, during a match, just rubs me the wrong way.

For me, pool ( especially a tournament or gambling ) is NOT "multi-tasking". It's just common courtesy. If you're not interested enough to pay attention to the game, from A to Z, I'm not interested in playing you. Am I morally outraged? Nope. I just have no interest in playing you.

( This is in regards to being on the phone, not using headphones { Though I think that's rude as well } to listen to music with )

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For me, pool ( especially a tournament or gambling ) is NOT "multi-tasking". It's just common courtesy. If you're not interested enough to pay attention to the game, from A to Z, I'm not interested in playing you. Am I morally outraged? Nope. I just have no interest in playing you.

( This is in regards to being on the phone, not using headphones { Though I think that's rude as well } to listen to music with )

Same boat here. That’s why I got a table at home, pool players drive me nuts sometimes.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What??

Younger guy walks up and asks if I'd like to play some 9 ball... we make a bet and get ready to play. Guy puts on the backwards baseball cap and some giant headphones... every time a question came up, he's all "what?" and acts pissy having to take off the headphones.

I guess it's a trend?... not digging the disconnect with someone I'm playing.

Judges?

I use them all the time because I want to hear the music that I want to hear and I dont want to hear the people all over the place doing what they have a right to do..., talking loud, partying and have a good time.

My question to you is, why are you talking to me while we're gambling? How many things should come up during a game that you need to talk to me about anyway?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Younger guy walks up and asks if I'd like to play some 9 ball... we make a bet and get ready to play. Guy puts on the backwards baseball cap and some giant headphones... every time a question came up, he's all "what?" and acts pissy having to take off the headphones.

I guess it's a trend?... not digging the disconnect with someone I'm playing.

Judges?

Not for me. I won't play the guys that is in a different zone. And will stop playing the person that has to text, get calls and check mail every 5 minutes. Be selective. Choose your company.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This^^^^
Couldn't have said it better.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

tap,tap,tap - well said

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I may wear them depending on the situation:

I "always" ask my challenger if they mind. If they say yes, I do not wear them.

I play same speed with or without them. But, if my challenger starts talking to me while I'm stroking at balls I either call them on it or pull the ear phones out. One is no more disrespectful than the other.

It's bad enough to "have" to deal with some dip chit moving....i.e. scratching his nose, fiddling with phone, cue....etc...etc...only when in line with my shot-line. Do I really "have" to "hear" his BS too?

I'm as old fashioned as anyone on here, guarantee that. But, like most old fashion folks, I will only take so much BS.

Bottom line:

Nothing I like more than a respectful game of 1-hole, str8 pool, 10 ball......etc..etc... where BOTH players are comfortable and can give their best effort. But when one of them starts making sharking moves.........moving, talking....etc.... in ways that are obvious to everyone around them, well, IMO it is ok at that point to pull out ear phones so you can at least combat part of their childish antics.

Rake

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would say some old school 14.1 players (I guess I would qualify) just feel it's a matter of courtesy / respect when you are sitting in your chair quietly while your opponent controls the table, that you are paying attention and observing your opponent's run, waiting for your next opportunity to get back to the table. If they are doing that with their headphones on, that's no problem, but texting and receiving texts while their opponent is at the table is not the same thing.

Kind of like the opponent that is practicing shooting balls on the adjacent open table while you are at the table - the lack of respect and paying attention to your opponent while they have the table, during a match, just rubs me the wrong way.

Well said. In short it's rude and not appreciated. It's that simple.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well said. In short it's rude and not appreciated. It's that simple.

In general, I agree with you 100%.

But, what if your in a tournament and I will not stop talking to you while your stroking at the ball? What if I'm asking stupid questions like, "hey is it suppose to rain tonight"?

I only talk to you while you are stroking at the ball and especially in your back swing.

Well, you go to tournament director. Tell them and they say they cannot make anyone "not talk".....free country and all........well, what ya gonna do if it bothers you to the point to making you miss key balls?

I tell you what I do, I pull my ear phones out. I can still "see" his actions done on purpose but I cannot hear all of his BS.

Again, I agree with you. people that wear them just because are to me, well, disrespectful.

Also, everyone should give respect until they do not get it in return. That is when you/me/we "have" to do something to counter their BS or their antics may pay off for them.

Respectfully,

Rake

Michael Andros

Silver Member
In general, I agree with you 100%.

But, what if your in a tournament and I will not stop talking to you while your stroking at the ball? What if I'm asking stupid questions like, "hey is it suppose to rain tonight"?

I only talk to you while you are stroking at the ball and especially in your back swing.

Well, you go to tournament director. Tell them and they say they cannot make anyone "not talk".....free country and all........well, what ya gonna do if it bothers you to the point to making you miss key balls?

I tell you what I do, I pull my ear phones out. I can still "see" his actions done on purpose but I cannot hear all of his BS.

Again, I agree with you. people that wear them just because are to me, well, disrespectful.

Also, everyone should give respect until they do not get it in return. That is when you/me/we "have" to do something to counter their BS or their antics may pay off for them.

Respectfully,

Rake

Rake - I don't blame you a bit. For me, though... the only way I'm putting headphones on is if I'm doing acid and listening to Pink Floyd, neither of which is likely these days. If I feel like I have to go to that type ( which for me, it would be ) extreme to keep someone from trying to shark me, I would just as soon pull a Shane at Wyoming and simply break the cue, tuck it away in my case and go have a drink. Fading that kind of s**t just isn't in my DNA anymore.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rake - I don't blame you a bit. For me, though... the only way I'm putting headphones on is if I'm doing acid and listening to Pink Floyd, neither of which is likely these days. If I feel like I have to go to that type ( which for me, it would be ) extreme to keep someone from trying to shark me, I would just as soon pull a Shane at Wyoming and simply break the cue, tuck it away in my case and go have a drink. Fading that kind of s**t just isn't in my DNA anymore.

Understood and agree but I sometimes it can get expensive to pack it in.

These are just one of the reasons I do not play tournament often or play in public for that matter. I play in public so little every time I go to the very same hall they always think its my first time there:rolleyes:

Rake

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm old as dirt (49) and started wearing them because I mainly practice at an Elks Club. The noise level is distracting, and I just don't want to hear it.

I prefer the sound of the balls but since I practice with them I shoot with them. I think there is no good reason why in competition you can't wear them.

As for needed communication between players, of course they need to be removed. But also if you are wearing them and your opponent says they called a safe or want to call the ref over and I (person wearing headphones) doesn't hear/realize it, then the call ALWAYS goes to the other player without a n y exception.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
The world is going to hell in a technological hand basket. Amazon wants to sell facial
recognition software to law enforcement. Guess what? Your cellphone is already telling
the world where you are.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ralf Souquet stares at the floor when he's in the chair, I copied that for years in the past. And in 2000 he played some of the best 14.1. So I dint think it's disrespectful to sit and not watch what I y ave no control over. But at the same time when I see a great shot or safety I will tap, tap, tap...

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm usually only in the pool hall to hit balls and work on my game. I've played in a couple local tournaments this year and the thought never crossed my mind to wear ear buds. But for practice it's simple:

I use ear buds to block out idiots and nonsense. And unfortunately pool halls, per capita, have a ton -- at least where I play. On one side I have the younger kids carrying on and cranking the booty jams on the jukebox. On the other I have the older customers talking loudly over all of that so they can hear each other. I'm in the middle trying to just hit balls and be left alone.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it possible to have some type of communication receiver device inside the earphones and then some player who is in on the bet with the shooter is sitting way up there away from the table and is coaching him with a transmitter?
Especially in one pocket. Stuff like......"don't shoot at that 14 ball, stick him up behind the 3 and let him swing at it". etc. etc. etc.
Stranger things have happened in pool rooms, you know.
Not likely to happen in chump change gambling, but when the stakes get high, the snakes come out of the grass.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Understood and agree but I sometimes it can get expensive to pack it in.

These are just one of the reasons I do not play tournament often or play in public for that matter. I play in public so little every time I go to the very same hall they always think its my first time there:rolleyes:

Rake

I know the feeling! ;)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Exactly. Hell, i think the noise/yakking/banter is just part of the fun of being in the 'hall. To go in to a spot full of closed-off robots has ZERO appeal to me. If you can't tune-out the "static" while playing you might be playing the wrong game. Just my $.02 here, nothing more.

Michael Andros

Silver Member
Exactly. Hell, i think the noise/yakking/banter is just part of the fun of being in the 'hall. To go in to a spot full of closed-off robots has ZERO appeal to me. If you can't tune-out the "static" while playing you might be playing the wrong game. Just my $.02 here, nothing more.

Everyone has their own take on it and that's fine. I think it's ( mostly ) us oldsters that don't like the headphones / earbuds deal. I mean... people want to block out noise. I get that. And they use existing tech to do that. I get that too. But, even before portable headphones, Ipods / earbuds existed, it was possible to block surrounding noise in a pool room but as far as I know, nobody back in the day ever wore earplugs! We just dealt with it like everyone else. We didn't think twice about it. And I know some will say "That's the nature of tech, to make things better, to improve existing conditions." But, as I grow older, I come to understand more and more the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Just MHO.

Last edited: