Chen Siming vs Donny Mills

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't find this match on YouTube (even on Roysbasement channel).

Anyone have a link to it???

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just watched the final match on youtube of the 2017 China Open where Siming played Liu Sha Sha in the finals. It was a superbly played match that ended up going hill-hill (Race to Nine). Chen broke and made a fabulous run out under pressure, including a very tricky kick shot on the five to get position on the six. I really saw no perceptible difference in how they play and watching two top men play. :thumbup2:

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since the mainland Chinese totally subsidize their players both female and male one would think since women play just like men that they would integrate their pool tournaments to reflect this reality.

This does not seem to be the case. How would a top female like Chen fair against a top Chinese male in a race to 100?

If there is no difference in pool between the sexes why is there a woman's tour?

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since the mainland Chinese totally subsidize their players both female and male one would think since women play just like men that they would integrate their pool tournaments to reflect this reality.

This does not seem to be the case. How would a top female like Chen fair against a top Chinese male in a race to 100?

If there is no difference in pool between the sexes why is there a woman's tour?

I need me some more Sha Sha.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Attachments

• xiao fang.jpg
    xiao fang.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,220

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The very top women in asia and europe can hang with the men, in the US, no.

The difference in skill between top women and average or even good women pro players is huge, that is why Karen and Alison won almost all of the events. You can be a good B player and do OK in the women's "pro" events, mid pack. You need to be an A+ male player to get past the first round of a pro men's event without some very heavy luck on your side.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Some of it has to do with cultural factors.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The very top women in asia and europe can hang with the men, in the US, no.

The difference in skill between top women and average or even good women pro players is huge, that is why Karen and Alison won almost all of the events. You can be a good B player and do OK in the women's "pro" events, mid pack. You need to be an A+ male player to get past the first round of a pro men's event without some very heavy luck on your side.

You make some good points.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

So, a few women play that speed and now you say they all should be playing with men???

I spend more time shaking my head on this site than I care to admit.
Jason

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, a few women play that speed and now you say they all should be playing with men???

I spend more time shaking my head on this site than I care to admit.
Jason

Dude I was clearly playing Devil's advocate. Its Jay that yearns to create a gender blender on the tournament scene.

I always, as new data is available, can possibly change my mind about something. I am not at that point yet.

it used to be one gal that made all the gender blender's cases, Jean B.. A few outliers does not make a trend.

Maybe, Dr. Feel Good could administer some testosterone therapy for Chen and she could be the unisex champion of the world.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
One other thing I noticed in watching the Women's final of the 2017 China Open. They had good crowds watching! I'm beginning to understand now, the women players over there are more popular than the men. How about that for a gender bender! I remember years ago when Jeannie was beating up on some pretty good players (Buddy, Keith, Lebron etc.) and drawing big crowds to watch her play. Some of the men couldn't handle it and got very pissed off, saying they should be allowed to play in the women's events if Jean could play in theirs. Some guys actually withdrew rather than take a chance on drawing her. I thought it was very funny at the time.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dude I was clearly playing Devil's advocate. Its Jay that yearns to create a gender blender on the tournament scene.

I always, as new data is available, can possibly change my mind about something. I am not at that point yet.

it used to be one gal that made all the gender blender's cases, Jean B.. A few outliers does not make a trend.

Maybe, Dr. Feel Good could administer some testosterone therapy for Chen and she could be the unisex champion of the world.

First of all overlord, there are many more excellent women players today than in Jean's era. She pretty much dominated the women's events, winning the last sixteen in a row that she played in! She might lose one set a year.

Today there may be as many as 25-30 high quality women players, and that's a conservative estimate. Let's just say there were a few tournaments that featured all the top men and women competing on an even playing field, and they were drawing large crowds, good TV coverage and garnering a lot of publicity for Pool. Would you be opposed to that?

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all overlord, there are many more excellent women players today than in Jean's era. She pretty much dominated the women's events, winning the last sixteen in a row that she played in! She might lose one set a year.

Today there may be as many as 25-30 high quality women players, and that's a conservative estimate. Let's just say there were a few tournaments that featured all the top men and women competing on an even playing field, and they were drawing large crowds, good TV coverage and garnering a lot of publicity for Pool. Would you be opposed to that?

In America it seems players regardless of their sex can’t make jack. The problem with pool is there are no stars. Stars sell content. People that win a lot of money become stars.

Shane Van B. Walked into SMHB and very few people had any idea who was. I hear from a Chinese player I know that the pool craze is cooling off in China.

One has to raise the purse money in pool exponentially because unless you are at the very top of the pyramid you can’t make it. How are women gonna be able to afford to compete?

The top men are limping along as it is. The women’s tour is on its last legs. Hearn may inject new life. We will see.

Pool needs a benefactor that would put up millions. Like a Silicon Valley cat that could throw millions into the wind.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then pool needs to die.

Jason

To be fair, everyone has their own take on what pool needs. Some think a blockbuster movie. Some think a new Kevin Trudeau. Me, I think Olympic recognition. Perhaps then we can get half the treatment something like Curling gets: teams, coaches, training facilities, junior programs, donors, sponsorships, TV time every four years, national pride, etc. Maybe that’ll help keep it in the popular US cultural conscience.

But the US is certainly not setup now to generate new batches of top talent easily. It’s more like a how-it-should-have-ended for Rocky IV. Ivan knocks Rocky out in round one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro