Diary of a Road Player - Robbed at Gunpoint in North Carolina

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gambling in big Cash Games on the road had risks, losing was just one of them.

The 2nd time I was robbed at gunpoint was in North Carolina at a Bootleg Joint called Sharkey's - I'll always remember the feeling of that gun to my ribs, life flashing through my mind....here's my story.

https://youtu.be/9Jfdv05SZTY

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did road players Not carry a .32 auto in their pocket? Back then it was fine to carry in almost every state these guys traveled. Today, I don't walk into a billiard place without my .308 in my pocket- just because my playing cue is worth over $2K and I'm not walking out into a dark parking lot at night without my hand on that .308 in my pocket. Glad to be in Florida now- be armed, protect yourself, and stand your ground.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Why did road players Not carry a .32 auto in their pocket? Back then it was fine to carry in almost every state these guys traveled. Today, I don't walk into a billiard place without my .308 in my pocket- just because my playing cue is worth over $2K and I'm not walking out into a dark parking lot at night without my hand on that .308 in my pocket. Glad to be in Florida now- be armed, protect yourself, and stand your ground.

Lest anyone end up confused, he meant .380, not .308.

On a side note, unless recoil or tight budget are issues, those that carry a .380 for protection while playing pool may want to give the Sig Sauer P365 a look as it revolutionized things when it came out a couple of years ago IMO. It is around the same size or smaller than many or most .380's, and not much bigger than the remainder. Where it really revolutionized things was in its round capacity in that size category of pistol. It has a 10+1 capacity (or 12+1 or 15+1 with extended magazines) in the same size category as many or most .380's which generally have a 6+1 capacity at best. It is also a bit more effective being a 9 mm rather than a .380, and is reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot. For the same form factor as many/most .380's it comes with a lot of advantages and has a lot to offer.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yeah, I was pretty sure there was a bit of miscommunication there! I have owned a handful of .380's, handy little guns. Not that anemic with the right round either. Before the move to standardize on the slightly bigger 9x19, the .380 was the most common police and military pistol round in europe and south america. It is also 9mm diameter, just a smaller case so less powder and usually a lighter weight bullet.

I did have a .308 poked in my chest one night long ago. Guy's finger was on the trigger of the semi-auto deer rifle so an attention getter!

I can't begin to keep up with CJ when it comes to robberies. I had one attempted mugging when I was fifteen and very drunk. Three guys had got me in an awkward position as I was leaving a place. Told them I was leaving because I was broke. The mixed drinks across the highway were 90 cents and I had probably a couple dollars worth of nickels in my pocket. More or less voluntarily gave them the nickels and kept the roughly $150 or so I had on me. Angered me but better than a losing fight against three bigger and much more sober guys and losing all of my cash.

Something I always did gambling, spread my money around between boots and pockets, shirts, jackets, a bit everywhere. My mom came to visit one day and I had came in the night before not feeling a whole lot of pain. Cash was all over my living room floor. She asked me where that all came from. "Forgot to empty my boots before I took them off."

Hu

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes it was .380 - I have not even looked at them recently with this virus last 6 months and only going out locally. I will take a look at that P365- my .380 only holds 5+1. Hope I never have to use either. sometimes I like a revolver- my carry for that is the S&W .38 airweight with the low hammer.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any gun is better than no gun when you are being robbed at close range. I was taking about something, even back in the day, that would fit in the pocket of a pool player or easily concealed.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Right You Are!

Any gun is better than no gun when you are being robbed at close range. I was taking about something, even back in the day, that would fit in the pocket of a pool player or easily concealed.

There is an old saying about .22's that applies to all small calibers. Many people laugh at the little guns but not when they are pointed at them, or words to that effect.

Often better to remain quiet and be robbed if the other person or people have their guns out first. However, having a gun gives you options, especially when the others don't seem inclined to leave witnesses. Something else that can only be guesstimated, having a gun lets you negotiate well after you would have to be acting with no weapon or lesser weapons. I have talked down crowds of angry people quite a few times. Part of my ability to keep trying to calm the crowd was the six buddies under my arm.

Ideally I have a .45 or a rifle when in a shooting situation. But I will take a .22, .25, or .32 over nothing any day! All of the centerfire rounds have defensive ammo that wasn't available decades ago. You could swiss cheese an angry or drugged person with a .25 and not slow them down with hard ball. Today's ammo gives a much better chance of stopping someone. The average person usually loses interest at the first shot regardless of the size of the gun too.

Hu

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
always thought it would be funny to see the look on someone's face when they found it

I've had several handguns, my 380 ended up with me in the back of a police car after winning $1600 in Hazard Kentucky......I slid it under their seat, always thought it would be funny to see the look on someone's face when they found it there.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

My little Browning .25 looked like a pack of cigs in the back pocket of my jeans. In over 25 years of carrying it, I only had to take it out twice, neither time having to pull the trigger (but damn ready too if necessary). Yes, people will scoff at a .25, but not if it's pointed at them up close (this little piece is designed for up close and personal protection with an effective range of maybe ten feet).

It gave me a feeling of confidence that I could get out with the money if I won. And by exuding confidence that also helped deter people from wanting to confront me (but not always). I know I'm one of the fortunate pool players and gamblers to have not been robbed (so far). I have managed to avoid three distinct attempts made against me, each one handled a little differently and only one of them where I had to show my weapon.

The best defense in life is to be very aware of your surroundings and who and what is going on around you. I still have my radar up to this day and often notice people who are out of place for one reason or another. Of course we are living in precarious times today and people are acting irrationally everywhere.

Last edited:

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That Sig is revolutionary, yes, but it in no way disappears the way my .380 does - not even close. In my opinion the Sig requires planning for how best to concealed carry, the way all larger guns do, and in a way most .380s don't.

I attached the VersaClip to my LCP 2 .380 (https://www.amazon.com/Techna-Clip-LCP-380-Conceal-Right-Side/dp/B014E26Z62) and even in just basketball shorts I can attach to my waistband and forget it - literally forget it.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Gotta tell ya CJ...I feel bad because I always look forward to a story and thread about you almost dying. It's nothing personal! :lol::thumbup2: