Which Breaks Better - Diamonds Or Gold Crowns?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cloth is two years old in Apple Green. Being redone in Powder Blue in the next week or so.

Let me also add I run my dehumidifier all the time. We have had 9 inches of rain, however, here in SW Indiana since Thursday morning.

IMO, treat yourself to a brand new set of Cyclop balls, and a "Magic Ball Rack" brand 9 ball rack. The Renfro rack was explicitly designed to make it "more" difficult to make a ball on the break. Don't get the knock off's on ebay/Amazon. They are junk, too thin, balls don't freeze. I have the super pros and the Cyclop, and the Cyclop feels cleaner and it rolls further. A 15 year old set, even in great condition, has little micro abrasions on it. It won't roll like a brand new set.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Cloth is two years old in Apple Green. Being redone in Powder Blue in the next week or so.

Let me also add I run my dehumidifier all the time. We have had 9 inches of rain, however, here in SW Indiana since Thursday morning.

But what kind of balls?? What rack?? What is the condition of the balls?? Without these answers it is difficult to suggest a problem. I think the balls make the biggest difference. The table supplier at one of our big tournaments has Valleys that are in decent shape, nice shiny new balls, and Delta 13 racks. The first thing I notice is that I always have to move balls around in the Delta 13 rack to get a tight rack. When I push the balls forward in the rack I can see loose balls and gaps, this tells me that even though the balls look nice that they are probably a very cheap set. These tables also generally break like crap, it is something almost everyone notices and talks about.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I got 5 1/2 table lengths.

I call bull$hit. If you cant break the balls decently, aint no way your stroke getting 5.5 lengths back and forth. Show a video or I am calling you out as a bull$hitter....<< no one will likely contest that you are, but I will give ya a chance to prove me wrong.

TFT

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Personally, I wouldn't buy a new table.

I think some tables do break tougher then others, just from experience going out and matching up, but we generally don't switch tables because we arent making balls. I don't think it's brand related though. There are a bunch of GC3s and 4s and the room I regularly go to, some break well, others don't. Not specific to one model or not... just how it is. Can't really explain why.

Playing a lot of rack your own you can "help" yourself make a ball making sure the 4 ball track is frozen, etc. Switching spots on the break until you find a "sweet" spot on the table. I will say that I will try a ton of different spots with the cue ball and try cut breaks as well if its not working. Cut break from the corner of the break box will force a few balls to one particular corner pocket. Doesn't make one wired, but one has a good chance of going in. You do sacrifice a lot of cueball control though and often times a shot on the 1 ball as the 1 will head up table and the cueball stays down table a lot and has a lot of collisions on a hard cut break.

I find it odd that with a template rack you cant make the wing ball though. This is probably a stupid question, but are you sure your spot is lined up correctly? Any chance you can video a few of your breaks with the template rack? Breaking from a balls width from the side rail on both sides of the table. Would really like to see that.

Also, look at it like this... not making a ball on the break makes the Ghost a lot tougher, making you a better player in the long run... or more frustrated.

Just my thoughts and experiences and trying to keep it civil. I know the frustration of dry breaking.

See my disclaimer.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
IMO, treat yourself to a brand new set of Cyclop balls, and a "Magic Ball Rack" brand 9 ball rack. The Renfro rack was explicitly designed to make it "more" difficult to make a ball on the break. Don't get the knock off's on ebay/Amazon. They are junk, too thin, balls don't freeze. I have the super pros and the Cyclop, and the Cyclop feels cleaner and it rolls further. A 15 year old set, even in great condition, has little micro abrasions on it. It won't roll like a brand new set.

I like this advice before getting a new table... plus an extra set of good balls is good to have around. I like to switch ball sets up before tournies and stuff provided I know the balls they are going to use in the event and that I have a set. Plus the magic rack is damn good. I've had 2 of them. Currently using the turtle rack. Used one of those in a local state tourney and like it.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The room I play at has both Diamonds and Crowns.
90 % of the time I play on the Diamonds.
If a Diamond is not available I play on a Crown.
Throwing out all the variables cloth,humidity etc I think the Crowns will pocket more balls on the break due to the shorter shelf.Less pocket rattles.
And thats my totally unscientific seat of the pants opinion.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I call bull$hit. If you cant break the balls decently, aint no way your stroke getting 5.5 lengths back and forth. Show a video or I am calling you out as a bull$hitter....<< no one will likely contest that you are, but I will give ya a chance to prove me wrong.

TFT

Just to clarify........I start on the spot and hit it really hard. I contact five rails and end up in the middle of the table for 5 1/2.

And who said I cant break the balls decently? I never said I felt my break was the big problem. I hit them anywhere from soft to 20 mph. Again, for the 10,000th time, most feel l have a bad breaking table. And thats the opinion of some people's whose opinion I would trust.

r/DCP

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well we don’t know if you are a D player or an A player. Or in between. The questions you ask are really out there. And you spend days and days on the same questions, then repeat them every year. You’ve yet to show a video of you breaking or playing. Why don’t you rack and break 10 times in a row and post it? You’ve posted still photos of the break result but never video. You keep saying it’s not you, but it probably is. You have top notch equipment. At least if you post a video you can put that to rest. Hell, I freaking stink, have the exact same table as you, my super arimth pros are 15 years old, My magic rack is 10 yes old and my ex gf,s cat chewed it all up, my 860 is 8 years old with a tear near the break spot, and I can still make balls on the break all day long!

In the geno thread you are going back and forth with him for weeks now, posting straight in shots on the cue table. I’m like wtf? Why don’t you just Skype him. He’s asked you to repeatedly. Since that thread started, 10 ppl from here Skyped him, me included. And you are still twiddling your thumbs asking about a straight in shot?

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Just to clarify........I start on the spot and hit it really hard. I contact five rails and end up in the middle of the table for 5 1/2.

And who said I cant break the balls decently? I never said I felt my break was the big problem. I hit them anywhere from soft to 20 mph. Again, for the 10,000th time, most feel l have a bad breaking table. And thats the opinion of some people's whose opinion I would trust.

r/DCP

Is your mentor one of the peoples opinions you trust? Have you asked the good Doc any or all of these questions you keep coming up with? Does he even know that you are his protege?

All of your questions have been answered in this thread already.:thumbup: You don't even have to answer my questions this time, they were all rhetorical. This time.

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
DCP, any other thoughts on what I said and what others said?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
When I saw him play he played like a high D, low C player.

Well we don’t know if you are a D player or an A player. Or in between. The questions you ask are really out there. And you spend days and days on the same questions, then repeat them every year. You’ve yet to show a video of you breaking or playing. Why don’t you rack and break 10 times in a row and post it? You’ve posted still photos of the break result but never video. You keep saying it’s not you, but it probably is. You have top notch equipment. At least if you post a video you can put that to rest. Hell, I freaking stink, have the exact same table as you, my super arimth pros are 15 years old, My magic rack is 10 yes old and my ex gf,s cat chewed it all up, my 860 is 8 years old with a tear near the break spot, and I can still make balls on the break all day long!

In the geno thread you are going back and forth with him for weeks now, posting straight in shots on the cue table. I’m like wtf? Why don’t you just Skype him. He’s asked you to repeatedly. Since that thread started, 10 ppl from here Skyped him, me included. And you are still twiddling your thumbs asking about a straight in shot?

Icon of Sin

Silver Member
How’s your break cue/tip? Might make a difference on your break.

With using a template rack, I would eliminate this and focus more on the technique and other equipment (balls, table, etc).

It's a thought though.

I'm baffled by this really. I mean, Ive played on some table that broke like absolute ass, but eventually I made it work by moving around, cut breaking, double checking my rack, etc.

DCP, using the template and breaking from the side rail (pick a side you're most comfy with) about a full ball from the rail at the headstring. Hit the 1 ball square between 16 and 20mph. Use about a half to a full tip of low on a 9ball rack.

Do this 10 times and report back how many times you made a ball on the break, which ball it was (mainly if wing ball or 1 ball in the side). Out of the 10 racks, post your results on each rack.

If the table breaks as bad as you say (which I believe you that you arent making balls), I feel that your number should be around 2 balls total for the 10 racks.

This is just my preferred method of breaking and it works very well for me, especially with a template rack.

Like I mentioned before, ideally a video of this would perfect as a lot of things can be analyzed. There are some decent players on AZ (and some shit ones like myself) that could really help steer you in the right direction before you drop thousands on a table.